New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
May 3, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #5,401 of 8,377
May 3, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #5,402 of 8,377
I've been off head-fi for a week or two and it seems like I've missed out on some fun times lol...

So this tool previously mentioned is kinda interesting: 

http://plasticity.szynalski.com/tone-generator.htm

Curious what others are hearing?

This is from my notes running it up and down (at 9am on the bass dial) using my Concero HP

- bass comes on ~30hz
- fairly flat up until around 2k
- noticable dip from about 2-3k
- gradual increase to a spike ~6k
- dip around 7.5.k
- increase to a spike ~10k
- quick drop to a dip at 11k
- gradual increase to 15k
- gradual decrease to a loss of audbility at ~17k (surely the limitation of my ears)

I'm not going to speculate on how big the dips or spikes are, but let's say on average they're +-3db.

Of course how I hear it could very well be different than how it really is.  I spent years in night clubs, concerts, etc and surely my hearing is compromised in places.

May 4, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #5,403 of 8,377
^

FWIW, earlier I mentioned how I felt the tuning of the Roxanne most closely matched the UERM vs. other customs at the SoCal meet.  Curiosity got the best of me and I did a little digging and found this:

Wow, that is amazingly close to my above observations.  I swear I have never seen a UERM graph before.  

With the Roxanne the dips and valleys below 10k are shifted down a bit, and the area above 10k is a bit more even.

May 4, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #5,404 of 8,377
I don't hear the 3k dip in the UERM.  I hear a peak between 7.5 and 8k.  The universal demo I heard had a 10k peak but my custom does not.  The JH13 had a good 3 db's increase across the bass region over the UERM.  It's treble peaks were rough 6, 8 and 10k.

May 4, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #5,405 of 8,377
  I don't hear the 3k dip in the UERM.  I hear a peak between 7.5 and 8k.  The universal demo I heard had a 10k peak but my custom does not.  The JH13 had a good 3 db's increase across the bass region over the UERM.  It's treble peaks were rough 6, 8 and 10k.

Yeah, as I mentioned in my impressions from the show I actually felt the Roxanne had more in common w/ the UERM than the 13... as well the 13 seems to have more in common w/ the K10.  I listened to all of these relatively close together - first it was the 13/16, then K10, then UERM, about 5-10 minutes moving between those tables, and about 15 minutes with each.

I also have my Roxanne's bass set to flat, so a bit less than the 13.  Unfortunately I don't think the promise of the bass being unobstrusive to the sig holds true.  Even with a minor boost I feel the sound suffers.  But even with the bass completely cut, the Roxanne is definitely thicker/fuller than the UERM, just the general sound profile struck me as similar.  

May 4, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #5,406 of 8,377
Are the Roxanne cables 8 wired? I just looked at a pic of the cable going into the iem and there were 4 wires per side.  I'm wary of the comforts of any custom 8 wire cables for weight/ergonomics.

May 4, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #5,407 of 8,377
Are the Roxanne cables 8 wired? I just looked at a pic of the cable going into the iem and there were 4 wires per side.  I'm wary of the comforts of any custom 8 wire cables for weight/ergonomics.

It is possible to use 4 wires as 8 conductors.

Litz cable strands are insulated withing the sheathing, wouldn't be too hard to do this.

I bet the cable makers will be offering this.

May 4, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #5,408 of 8,377
So discrete components picks up more noise than the components inside IC?  Hmm. ok.

If poorly designed, which many are, discrete can sound a lot worse. The bad rep that IC gets on HFi are part of the audiophile distortion reality field this forums takes on at times.

Back on topic, the new pictures do like beautiful.

Does anyone have the LCD-2/3 and Roxannes (universal or customs)? Curious if there are similarities given some of the impressions, vis-a-vis, bassy and lush.

May 4, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #5,409 of 8,377
So discrete components picks up more noise than the components inside IC?  Hmm. ok.

If poorly designed, which many are, discrete can sound a lot worse. The bad rep that IC gets on HFi are part of the audiophile distortion reality field this forums takes on at times.

Does anyone have the LCD-2/3 and Roxannes (universal or customs)? Curious if there are similarities given some of the impressions, vis-a-vis, bassy and lush.

I didn't consider the Roxannes lush.
They are similar in that treble is fairly dead besides spikes compared to bass / mids

May 4, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #5,410 of 8,377
  I've been off head-fi for a week or two and it seems like I've missed out on some fun times lol...

So this tool previously mentioned is kinda interesting: 

http://plasticity.szynalski.com/tone-generator.htm

Curious what others are hearing?

This is from my notes running it up and down (at 9am on the bass dial) using my Concero HP

- bass comes on ~30hz
- fairly flat up until around 2k
- noticable dip from about 2-3k
- gradual increase to a spike ~6k
- dip around 7.5.k
- increase to a spike ~10k
- quick drop to a dip at 11k
- gradual increase to 15k
- gradual decrease to a loss of audbility at ~17k (surely the limitation of my ears)

I'm not going to speculate on how big the dips or spikes are, but let's say on average they're +-3db.

Of course how I hear it could very well be different than how it really is.  I spent years in night clubs, concerts, etc and surely my hearing is compromised in places.

well i can confirm that the audible frequency of the roxanne's goes up to at least 
18,531 Hz, i suspect it goes higher because i tuned it to 18,811 Hz where i could just no longer hear it and left the tab forgetting it was on. after a few minutes i was experiencing a weird feeling of disorientation and lack of focus lol. the low end worked fine for me all the way down to 20Hz, but with my bass dialled in at 9am the 40Hz is a pretty trippy experience, try varying the volume at that frequency :wink:

May 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #5,411 of 8,377

well i can confirm that the audible frequency of the roxanne's goes up to at least 
18,531 Hz, i suspect it goes higher because i tuned it to 18,811 Hz where i could just no longer hear it and left the tab forgetting it was on. after a few minutes i was experiencing a weird feeling of disorientation and lack of focus lol. the low end worked fine for me all the way down to 20Hz, but with my bass dialled in at 9am the 40Hz is a pretty trippy experience, try varying the volume at that frequency :wink:

But, what output level(loudness) is it around that area?  Does it roll off heavily before that and happends to extend to that point after a long roll-off?  Does anybody have the Roxanne graph?

May 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #5,412 of 8,377

I have the LCD 2.2 & LCD 3 ATM & was told to expect my custom Roxanne the end of April/May time so I really hope I can help on this topic soon. I know JH times have been a few months off but I have my fingers crossed...

May 4, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #5,413 of 8,377
  But, what output level(loudness) is it around that area?  Does it roll off heavily before that and happends to extend to that point after a long roll-off?  Does anybody have the Roxanne graph?

well at those super high frequencies the volume had dropped off quite significantly, but I'm not sure how much of that was due to my ears limitation and how much was due to the IEM's.
I'm probably not the best one to ask because i dont have what you would call calibrated ears, ie i am new to the high end audio world.
based off a quick and dirty run through of the frequency spectrum, the volume gradually increases for me from 20Hz up to about 800Hz, then it dips to about 1800Hz at which point it begins to increase again. i get another peak at 7000Hz, another trough at 8500Hz, another peak at 11000Hz at which point the volume remains fairly consistent up to 18500Hz at which point i can no longer hear it.
disclaimer though, my roxanne's have not had a proper burn in yet, the fit isn't quite right (i have plugged up the gaps with comply foam for now to get a seal), and finally i worked for 7 years as a flightline tech in the air force, so my ears have definitely taken a beating from that, my ears may not be the best yard stick to go from and i am not sure what experience other people have with their roxanne's.
i hope that is helpful, if you want me to try anything else out i'll be online from about another hour.

May 4, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #5,414 of 8,377
  well at those super high frequencies the volume had dropped off quite significantly, but I'm not sure how much of that was due to my ears limitation and how much was due to the IEM's.
I'm probably not the best one to ask because i dont have what you would call calibrated ears, ie i am new to the high end audio world.
based off a quick and dirty run through of the frequency spectrum, the volume gradually increases for me from 20Hz up to about 800Hz, then it dips to about 1800Hz at which point it begins to increase again. i get another peak at 7000Hz, another trough at 8500Hz, another peak at 11000Hz at which point the volume remains fairly consistent up to 18500Hz at which point i can no longer hear it.
disclaimer though, my roxanne's have not had a proper burn in yet, the fit isn't quite right (i have plugged up the gaps with comply foam for now to get a seal), and finally i worked for 7 years as a flightline tech in the air force, so my ears have definitely taken a beating from that, my ears may not be the best yard stick to go from and i am not sure what experience other people have with their roxanne's.
i hope that is helpful, if you want me to try anything else out i'll be online from about another hour.

Thanks, but it's wouldn't be quite as precise as machine measurements.  I'm wondering if there is software that can detect current output to your phones while connected to your pc to get a FR graph.  I would think from current and voltage, you can figure what power is being put into the phones to know what dB output the phones are at.  Since there is no Roxanne graph out there.  I'm not the person to ask for measurements though, I'm too lazy to do them.  Maybe somebody can ask JH for one, I'm sure he has one from QC.  

May 4, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #5,415 of 8,377

Let me try to help you out there. The Roxnnes would be closer towards sounding like the LCDX or the XC's more than the 2/3. The SE846 sound sound closer to the 2/3's. Hope it helps. Side note. Mine is the universal version of the Roxannes and I own the 2 and X. But auditioned all four extensively before settling for the 2 and X. Hope I can help further if you have any more questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back