New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
May 3, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #5,388 of 8,377
1507949_438384706293102_1867056106_n.jpg

May 3, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #5,390 of 8,377

Why would you fixate yourself of finding an amp for Roxanne? It sounded good straight out of an iPhone 5. Even better on Hifi DAPs.

It sure is not about power which is what an amp is suppose to provide since Roxanne like any iems are very easy to drive and don't require much power.

I suggest you better look for a better DAP or source than a portable amp.

Hi, the only reasons for external amp I can think of are the output impedance is too high of the DAP, line-out is being used, or headphones needs more current.  I think if you double amp(amping the headphone output), I think you are hearing colored sound from the added distortion of the double amping, and I believe it amplifies the noise.  But, I always thought external amps give you more impact to the sound than internal amp, and don't know why.

Ok, the newer DAPs are still too small to have descrete components like the big DACs out there, so I don't know what they are doing to output better quality sound than the mainstream DAPs.  

Also, something I've noticed that my portables(smartphone or mainstream DAP), doesn't sound quite as good at my ODAC/O2 combo, and I believe it's the O2 using more descrete components than what you can fit in the newer hifi DAPs?  I personally think it's the ODAC as my HE-6 coming out of it to my Beta22 is clear as day.  Not sure what it is, but it does sound better to my ears.  
L3000.gif
   But, I don't have a hifi DAP, and only tried the AK120 and 240 which both sounded fantastic to UERM.

May 3, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #5,392 of 8,377
  Hi, the only reasons for external amp I can think of are the output impedance is too high of the DAP, line-out is being used, or headphones needs more current.  I think if you double amp(amping the headphone output), I think you are hearing colored sound from the added distortion of the double amping, and I believe it amplifies the noise.  But, I always thought external amps give you more impact to the sound than internal amp, and don't know why.

Ok, the newer DAPs are still too small to have descrete components like the big DACs out there, so I don't know what they are doing to output better quality sound than the mainstream DAPs.  

Also, something I've noticed that my portables(smartphone or mainstream DAP), doesn't sound quite as good at my ODAC/O2 combo, and I believe it's the O2 using more descrete components than what you can fit in the newer hifi DAPs?  Not sure what it is, but it does sound better to my ears.  
L3000.gif
   But, I don't have a hifi DAP, and only tried the AK120 and 240 which both sounded fantastic to UERM.

Only the previous AK models and ipods which I can see needs amping due to high OI, specially for very sensitive low impedance iems (<18 Ohms)

Fiio and iBasso has been producing very low OI DAPs for a while now. I don't think any new DAPs coming out soon would have a high OI.

As for discrete components, sounding better over opamps. I think it's more of a myth if we talk about driving very sensitive low impedance phone/iem. Also O2 uses opamps and not exactly of discrete components.

Don't get me wrong, a fully discrete design has it's merit/advantage over opamps if we are talking about hard to drive load that requires high voltage and current. Orthos from Hifiman would definitely benefit on a fully discrete amp design.

A fully discrete design might work against low impedance, sensitive load because each component in the chain introduces distortion/noise. If you have many components, it adds up and can be easily detected as hiss on low impedance phones.

May 3, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #5,393 of 8,377

Only the previous AK models and ipods which I can see needs amping due to high OI, specially for very sensitive low impedance iems (<18 Ohms)

Fiio and iBasso has been producing very low OI DAPs for a while now. I don't think any new DAPs coming out soon would have a high OI.

As for discrete components, sounding better over opamps. I think it's more of a myth if we talk about driving very sensitive low impedance phone/iem. Also O2 uses opamps and not exactly of discrete components.

Don't get me wrong, a fully discrete design has it's merit/advantage over opamps if we are talking about hard to drive load that requires high voltage and current. Orthos from Hifiman would definitely benefit on a fully discrete amp design.

A fully discrete design might work against low impedance, sensitive load because each component in the chain introduces distortion/noise. If you have many components, it adds up and can be easily detected as hiss on low impedance phones

So discrete components picks up more noise than the components inside IC?  Hmm. ok.

May 3, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #5,394 of 8,377
Sorry I haven't been following any comments so this may be completely unrelated to current discussions
Double flange tips are still my favorite currently
No response from JH

I tried it with the hm801 stock and did not enjoy it one bit
Right now the sansa clip zip is keeping me busy with a touch of bass and treble boost

May 3, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #5,395 of 8,377
  So discrete components picks up more noise than the components inside IC?  Hmm. ok.

They emit their own noise, but the sum is much greater than a comparable opamp. Also not all discrete design and build are equal. It is easier to mess up a discrete amp if you have a single mismatched component.

May 3, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #5,396 of 8,377
I used to own a set of UE 10 Pro paired with a Ray Samuels SR-71 and the amp made a significant difference to the sound. During one flight I was really enjoying listening and my amp batteries died. I plugged the headphones directly into the iPod and after a little while I decided to rather not listen at all than to listen without the amp. I had become so used to how it sounded with the amp that it just was not as engaging without the amp. Without the amp I was more focused on what I was not hearing than what I was hearing so I just could not enjoy it.

That may sound strange to some but that is my personal experience.

I find the Roxanne's rather veiled compared to the UE10 Pro + SR71 combo but until I receive the Ray Samuels Intruder amp to pair with the Roxannes I will not put that down purely to the headphones. I am hoping though that burn-in will open them up a little.

On another note I do want to give some credit to JH Audio customer service. My case had a spelling mistake on it. I sent them an email asking for the procedure to fix it. Within 2 (maybe 3, I don't recall exactly) I received a brand new case.

May 3, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #5,400 of 8,377
He sent in for refit

Oh. Thanks. I thought that their turn around times are starting to get back to normal. Because I plan on getting a Roxanne (custom) when their turn around times are back to normal. For now, I'll have to live with the universal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back