New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Apr 5, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #4,908 of 8,377

But I feel that JH being a well-known company as they are, shouldn't have needed to do a pre-order promotion in the first place.

It risks accumulating way too many orders than they can fulfill when work hasn't started yet, plus problems (eg cable issues) causing unexpected delays and thus creating negative publicity as a result.

Aside from the delays they had and the CF units, they are fulfilling the orders as far as I know. Regardless, it is a custom IEM. It can only be pre-ordered. Prior to the tour around Asia, Jerry had already been going to shows to promote the JH-13 and JH-16 FP IEMs. I ordered my JH-13 FP and had to wait a couple of months for it (instead of a couple of weeks) since there were a bunch of orders to be processed. 

This kind of thing happens with every manufacturer. If I haven't already mentioned it, I've waited something like 2-3 years combined (I've lost count!) for new products over the last 5 years.

Apr 5, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #4,909 of 8,377
I had exactly the same sentiment. The lack of ETA really drives you nuts. They could just posted a 1 liner message on their webpage or facebook and it should make a whole lot of difference. I got my Roxanne and honestly, enjoying it very much. But the purchase and waiting experience left a sour taste on my mouth. Something to remind me of on future purchases. Not just for JHA but for any product launches in general.

Offering CF is killing them.

I must admit, if my Roxannes ever surface, I doubt I'll ever feel any good feeling towards them the way I feel right now.

And to think I've paid a lot of money to feel like this. I could never endorse anybody should deal with JH Audio.

Apr 5, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #4,910 of 8,377
Aside from the delays they had and the CF units, they are fulfilling the orders as far as I know. Regardless, it is a custom IEM. It can only be pre-ordered. Prior to the tour around Asia, Jerry had already been going to shows to promote the JH-13 and JH-16 FP IEMs. I ordered my JH-13 FP and had to wait a couple of months for it (instead of a couple of weeks) since there were a bunch of orders to be processed. 

This kind of thing happens with every manufacturer. If I haven't already mentioned it, I've waited something like 2-3 years combined (I've lost count!) for new products over the last 5 years.

In my case, it was a preorder for universals over the bf promotion price.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #4,911 of 8,377
hi,

i was listening to my roxanne through my mac pro laptop and alpen e 17 fiio amp. 

i could hear a lot of the his noise , like a lot alot , especially when i was listening to don mclean , bob dylan and queen. files are flac , 

is this cause of my source of what ? am getting the ak 240 in ten days , will i have the same problem with that , is it my files ? 

i really don't understand why the his noise is so prominent . 

thank u!

i like listening to my music on the louder side 

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #4,912 of 8,377
No doubt Jerry is an awesome chap having met him in person a couple of
times.
But I feel that JH being a well-known company as they are, shouldn't have needed to do a pre-order promotion in the first place.

It risks accumulating way too many orders than they can fulfill when work hasn't started yet, plus problems (eg cable issues) causing unexpected delays and thus creating negative publicity as a result.

if they didnt do pre-order..how they going to get fund to buy the material?

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #4,913 of 8,377

The preorder isn't to fund the materials, but more rather to create hype for the introduction of the product with the enticement of a lower "early-adopter" price.

Someone once commented, the raw materials aka drivers themselves are quite cheap.
Now how costly it is to produce an IEM on the manpower aspect? No one really knows.
But I'd venture a guess that if they can easily hire temps to keep up with the massive number of preorders,
I'm pretty sure its not something that requires very skilled work to command a high op cost. 
No offence to any self-respecting IEM manufacturer though (maybe someone could enlighten on this part of the work and cost that goes behind an IEM) 
Perhaps they have broken down the manufacturing process to many different stages in order to keep it simple enough for the staff.

So that said, even if JH don't do preorders, same way the IEMs will make their way to dealers hands and sit on the shelves for sale. 
Doesn't mean that without the preordering no Roxannes will be produced (universals that is)

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #4,914 of 8,377
The preorder isn't to fund the materials, but more rather to create hype for the introduction of the product with the enticement of a lower "early-adopter" price.

Someone once commented, the raw materials aka drivers themselves are quite cheap.
Now how costly it is to produce an IEM on the manpower aspect? No one really knows.
But I'd venture a guess that if they can easily hire temps to keep up with the massive number of preorders,
I'm pretty sure its not something that requires very skilled work to command a high op cost. 
No offence to any self-respecting IEM manufacturer though (maybe someone could enlighten on this part of the work and cost that goes behind an IEM) 
Perhaps they have broken down the manufacturing process to many different stages in order to keep it simple enough for the staff.

So that said, even if JH don't do preorders, same way the IEMs will make their way to dealers hands and sit on the shelves for sale. 
Doesn't mean that without the preordering no Roxannes will be produced (universals that is)

I disagree. The manufacturing defects we're seeing now are probably because of the newly hired staff and the learning curve.

This not a job for temps....

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #4,915 of 8,377
I disagree. The manufacturing defects we're seeing now are probably because of the newly hired staff and the learning curve.

This not a job for temps....

Well it's debatable whether the temps are the cause for the shoddy QC but one thing's for sure is that they were pressed for time, and that probably resulted in the process being rushed.

The point still remains that the preorder gimmick was not responsible for getting the raw materials.
They probably have materials sitting around the shop until customer makes an order for an ciem.
And in the case of a universal, the dealer has probably commited a fixed number of units from the initial runs.

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #4,916 of 8,377

If it's like most other businesses, you maintain operational stability by funding your parts inventory with profits earned on prior sales of goods shipped.  If you can't accomplish that, you can't stay in business. JH Audio is not unique, taking pre-orders on new products is a slippery slope at best.  I know it is very common in the audio industry, and manufacturers are very fortunate that audiophiles are a very loyal customer base because of the limited market.

Apr 5, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #4,917 of 8,377
  hi,

i was listening to my roxanne through my mac pro laptop and alpen e 17 fiio amp. 

i could hear a lot of the his noise , like a lot alot , especially when i was listening to don mclean , bob dylan and queen. files are flac , 

is this cause of my source of what ? am getting the ak 240 in ten days , will i have the same problem with that , is it my files ? 

i really don't understand why the his noise is so prominent . 

thank u!

i like listening to my music on the louder side 

That's odd. I thought a Macbook would be pretty noise free. I get no noise from my PC laptop or iPhone at all. 

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #4,918 of 8,377
Yeah, I have a late 2013 15" rMBP - the headphone out is pretty nice with this... good enough that I probably spend about 30% of my time listening straight out of it (vs. using my Concero HP).  Absolutely no noise/hiss.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back