New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Jan 26, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #3,182 of 8,377
Not real sure I would agree with the durability advantage either...I look at it as mostly a cosmetic/aesthetic appeal. Which I did not go for BTW.  Oh, and the CF option is what $400 or $500 now. Don't remember exactly but there was some mention earlier in the thread that the CF charge went up...

The CF option is $500 now :) You can't see it when selecting the option, only at check-out shows the actual amount.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #3,183 of 8,377
Hold on, though, that's a very unfair comparison - a CF faceplate is not the same as a full CF shell and CF case.

I'm not being 'pro' or 'anti' carbon fibre, here, just pointing out that the comparison isn't a level playing field.

You're right a carbon fiber body is > a faceplate but 200 is pretty steep and now the carbon fiber option is 500 bucks. Looks like Jh is having a little trouble mass producing Carbon fiber shells justifying the increase in price.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #3,184 of 8,377
I'm waiting on a review comparing the SSR (Siren Series Roxanne) to the Westone ES5. I think it would be an interesting comparison.

Well it appears that JH has made two pairs for stvc here that is different in terms of sounding and driver placements.
So I doubt you can find a consistent comparison since no two Roxannes will sound alike.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #3,185 of 8,377
I agree and this is the first time I can say they are really put of control or lack of control in making the product consistent. Now some pics of the two would be cool. And you have to wonder witch one is right and wrong. It does not have to be the first or second. That is just not cool at all. And I am glad I do not have one yet. The longer the better. But please post pics and let jh audio know what they did. Atleast they have a chance to fix who is doing this.

Al

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #3,186 of 8,377
You're right a carbon fiber body is > a faceplate but 200 is pretty steep and now the carbon fiber option is 500 bucks. Looks like Jh is having a little trouble mass producing Carbon fiber shells justifying the increase in price.

As I described in detail, long before the price rise, using wet lay-up carbon fibre to produce something as diminutive and irregularly-shaped as a CIEM shell is highly-skilled and challenging work.

I personally would never consider spending $500 on an option which has no bearing whatsoever upon the performance of a CIEM.

However, to be fair to JHA, I know for a fact that $500 is not an overly-excessive price to charge for such work, when one factors in the ever-present possibility of re-fits being required. It might appear, to some, to perhaps be overpriced, but for such demanding work, plus the possibility of re-fits being required, they really won't be profiting much from it. Few people truly understand how challenging such delicate CF work can be, and IMO, based upon personal experience of it, $200 was actually a naive price to charge, in the first place.

Fortunately for me, I happen to like transparent acrylic, so I'm not tempted by exotic CIEM shell materials, and I feel plain acrylic is very well-suited to CIEM manufacture (more so than CF).

Ultimately, every Roxanne purchaser has their own choice on whether to spend the extra, and choice is a good thing, but I still feel JHA are masochists for offering the option!
rolleyes.gif

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #3,187 of 8,377
As I described in detail, long before the price rise, using wet lay-up carbon fibre to produce something as diminutive and irregularly-shaped as a CIEM shell is highly-skilled and challenging work.

I personally would never consider spending $500 on an option which has no bearing whatsoever upon the performance of a CIEM.

However, to be fair to JHA, I know for a fact that $500 is not an overly-excessive price to charge for such work, when one factors in the ever-present possibility of re-fits being required. It might appear, to some, to perhaps be overpriced, but for such demanding work, plus the possibility of re-fits being required, they really won't be profiting much from it. Few people truly understand how challenging such delicate CF work can be, and IMO, based upon personal experience of it, $200 was actually a naive price to charge, in the first place.

Fortunately for me, I happen to like transparent acrylic, so I'm not tempted by exotic CIEM shell materials, and I feel plain acrylic is very well-suited to CIEM manufacture (more so than CF).

Ultimately, every Roxanne purchaser has their own choice on whether to spend the extra, and choice is a good thing, but I still feel JHA are masochists for offering the option! :rolleyes:

I agree I prefer regular acrylic shell I believed the carbon fiber would add some durability it's true the refitting would end up costing Jh hence them increasing the price but let's take a look at the Roxanne's I'm pretty sure they don't cost 1600 to build if even 400 maybe it's the complexity of making each piece but 200 would have been better.

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #3,188 of 8,377
Guys, custom carbon fiber are very hard and expensive to make. Like I said before the previous $200 is a steal...$500 sound right to me at less. I got some custom carbon fiber A pillar for my car to hold my focal utopia mid and high up high and they costed me $3000 for the pair. Its cheaper if you mass produce by reusing the same mold like how supercar do it. But since IEM are different for everyone it is quite expensive. It like building a once of Ferrari which btw can be done at $5mil if you have that kind of cash.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #3,189 of 8,377
I agree and this is the first time I can say they are really put of control or lack of control in making the product consistent. Now some pics of the two would be cool. And you have to wonder witch one is right and wrong. It does not have to be the first or second. That is just not cool at all. And I am glad I do not have one yet. The longer the better. But please post pics and let jh audio know what they did. Atleast they have a chance to fix who is doing this.

Al

The right shell having more different placement of the driver.

Not too much for the left shell.

The tip / tube are bend slight different, size also smaller.

Btw left is old one, right is the new piece.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #3,190 of 8,377
Maybe you rec someone else's by accident. Anyone willing to way in hear. .?

Al

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #3,191 of 8,377
Hi Guys,
I have been a silent reader in this thread however for those who are asking for universal version of the Roxanne i have been talking to Jaben singapore ever scince the Mook festival and i was told by them that they do carry them ( i asked cause i am interested in getting the universal version). I do see many people asking for the universal option so i am just sharing what i know. I am from Singapore anyway.

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #3,192 of 8,377

The right shell having more different placement of the driver.

Not too much for the left shell.

The tip / tube are bend slight different, size also smaller.

Btw left is old one, right is the new piece.

stvc, was the angel logo specified by yourself to be "pixelated"?

if not, the angel logo seems to be poorly done too, given that this is the in house design and not user specified design

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #3,193 of 8,377

stvc, was the angel logo specified by yourself to be "pixelated"?

if not, the angel logo seems to be poorly done too, given that this is the in house design and not user specified design

I didn't make any special request.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back