New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Dec 16, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #1,546 of 8,377
I wend to the Mook Festival to give them a try 12/15/2013 Sun.

Just my 2 cents. After the first testing there I'm more incline to JH13 and 16 pro (freqphase) then the roxanne after the try out.. will need to go down to Jaben to test drive them again. 

Mine current rig is at the lower spectrum compare to what the most people are use to here:
1) UEM - earsonic SM3V2 
2) Amp - govibe magnum. 
3) MP3 player - Cowon J3 (alternative , Kpop and pop tracks mostly)

Tried their UEM Demos using only my Cowon J3,all UEM ver. tested using 320kbps and some FLAC tracks) 
btw i'm a very layman and general listener. i'm just stating what the music sounds to me. :)

1) 13 Pro (freqphase) - sound is bright , bass is lower compared to the 16 Pro and Roxanne (with bass dial at mid level) 
2) 16 Pro (freqphase) -  sound is bright , bass is higher compared to the 13 Pro, 16 pro bass sounds more refine compared to roxanne (with bass dial at mid level) 
3) Roxanne (bass dial at mid level)  - sound is more contain, but lack the brightness 13 and 16 pro has.
(i did tried the bass dial at high, but the effect i get seems to be too over for mine taste)

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #1,547 of 8,377
I'm reading all these posts and I'm trying to figure out, how many sets of ears all you people have?

I asked for the Roxanne's to be my Christmas present but maybe I screwed up. Maybe I should be asking for ears so I can get more IEM :wink:

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #1,548 of 8,377
I'm reading all these posts and I'm trying to figure out, how many sets of ears all you people have?

I asked for the Roxanne's to be my Christmas present but maybe I screwed up. Maybe I should be asking for ears so I can get more IEM
wink.gif

So far  I have read all different statements about the Roxanne's, but not really that positive at all....
I ordered on BF... but the ones who got to try them at Mook, is it just the preference when comparing the Roxanne's to other TOTL IEM's or are just not worth the money, which would be bad :p!

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #1,549 of 8,377
Lmao. Yes that is a. Good observation. For me i grew up very poor and now at 56
I want them all. For not good reason.
Pure glutinous ownership.
Al d

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #1,550 of 8,377
Disclaimer: I'm not trying to bash any individuals or companies. The following are my opinions only. You should take it with a grain of salt.

The thing I learned from the Singaporean local forum is that you cannot completely trust anyone on the internet. There was one dude that is saying that Noble Kaiser 10 is significantly better than the Roxanne in every single aspect except bass quantity and punchiness. Later, someone else points out that this guy is actually affiliated with a company called Treoo, that turns out to be a Noble Audio dealer in Singapore.

Here is his post:

In terms of bass and treble extension, the Roxanne loses out significantly compared to the Noble Kaiser 10 and Rooth LSX.

Probably the only thing that the Roxanne is better than the K10 and LSX is the bass punchiness and quantity.

Smoothness, nowhere near, soundstage and imaging? Also nowhere near.

The Roxanne makes the Rooth LSX seem very very value for money.
<insert high-res image of roxannes and k10s here>

I fully understand that this person may be expressing his own opinions, but who's the one to say that his opinions are not biased?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

• “The existence of dissonance, being psychologically uncomfortable, will motivate the person to try to reduce the dissonance and achieve consonance”
  • “When dissonance is present, in addition to trying to reduce it, the person will actively avoid situations and information which would likely increase the dissonance” 

What I think:
- He is a "member of trade" of a company that sells K10.
- He has access to K10 Universal Demo, that means he is a trusted person in that company.
- People who are passionate about their work tends to believe/stand by their own products.
- His impression of the Roxanne and the fact that his company sells may cause dissonance to make him actually reduce dissonance to become psychologically coherent.
- He states that the Roxannes are inferior in every way, the high sucks, etc. Then post a high resolution photo of the Roxannes and his universal K10 to prove credibility.

Some preconditions I believe is true:
- Everything you perceive are biased in some way
- Sound is merely a perception in your brain. If you are biased, what you hear will be biased.

Is it his honest opinion? Sure. But do those opinions matter to you?

I maybe posting this because of cognitive dissonance myself. All I'm trying to say is, do not trust someone's impression on a ear product. Hear it yourself. Use trusted head-fier's review as a guide only. Trust only yourself.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #1,551 of 8,377
So far  I have read all different statements about the Roxanne's, but not really that positive at all....
I ordered on BF... but the ones who got to try them at Mook, is it just the preference when comparing the Roxanne's to other TOTL IEM's or are just not worth the money, which would be bad :p!

It's not saying that it's bad. Just that for the sheer amount of drivers one would expect "more" from it. If judging solely on the number of drivers, to me it's worth the price tag. But to me, the sound churning out from its hefty drivers just ain't pack with enough juice.
To me, the bass really shines. Vocals are slightly forward, full and to the warm side. Treble are abit laid back for me. To me, the Roxanne focus a lot on bass and vocals.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #1,552 of 8,377
It's not saying that it's bad. Just that for the sheer amount of drivers one would expect "more" from it. If judging solely on the number of drivers, to me it's worth the price tag. But to me, the sound churning out from its hefty drivers just ain't pack with enough juice.
To me, the bass really shines. Vocals are slightly forward, full and to the warm side. Treble are abit laid back for me. To me, the Roxanne focus a lot on bass and vocals.

How was the treble quality though? It may be laid back in presentation but is it crisp, clear & properly extended?

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #1,554 of 8,377
  Disclaimer: I'm not trying to bash any individuals or companies. The following are my opinions only. You should take it with a grain of salt.

The thing I learned from the Singaporean local forum is that you cannot completely trust anyone on the internet. There was one dude that is saying that Noble Kaiser 10 is significantly better than the Roxanne in every single aspect except bass quantity and punchiness. Later, someone else points out that this guy is actually affiliated with a company called Treoo, that turns out to be a Noble Audio dealer in Singapore.

Here is his post:

I fully understand that this person may be expressing his own opinions, but who's the one to say that his opinions are not biased?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

What I think:
- He is a "member of trade" of a company that sells K10.
- He has access to K10 Universal Demo, that means he is a trusted person in that company.
- People who are passionate about their work tends to believe/stand by their own products.
- His impression of the Roxanne and the fact that his company sells may cause dissonance to make him actually reduce dissonance to become psychologically coherent.
- He states that the Roxannes are inferior in every way, the high sucks, etc. Then post a high resolution photo of the Roxannes and his universal K10 to prove credibility.

Some preconditions I believe is true:
- Everything you perceive are biased in some way
- Sound is merely a perception in your brain. If you are biased, what you hear will be biased.

Is it his honest opinion? Sure. But do those opinions matter to you?

I maybe posting this because of cognitive dissonance myself. All I'm trying to say is, do not trust someone's impression on a ear product. Hear it yourself. Use trusted head-fier's review as a guide only. Trust only yourself.

The K10 is nowhere near the Roxanne IMO. And like I said, the K10 is even less superior than the 8C.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #1,555 of 8,377
How was the treble quality though? It may be laid back in presentation but is it crisp, clear & properly extended?

I didn't have enough auditioning time to properly ascertain the treble. I was more overwhelmed by the bass and vocals. even turning the bass dial to half was still overwhelming. As far as I can remember or conclude, the treble is definitely laid back for me but in a smooth manner. From my short auditioning, I couldn't hear it as extended as maybe W4 nor as smooth and present. Pls do take my words as a grain of salt only. But what I'm pretty sure of it that the universal is huge. Fit might be a problem for those with small ear canal. Even I'm using large size tips most of the time, I do find it too big and heavy. Can't sit in properly without constantly holding it.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #1,556 of 8,377

I have not compared it to other CIEMs but it's definitely a step up from JH13/JH16. I spent my Saturdays at Mook on the JH booth (and A&K which is disappointing for me) test driving Roxanne and comparing it to my JH16 and the JH13 demo. Chatted a bit with Jerry about Roxanne. I'm looking forward to get my Roxanne, I'm impressed with the demo and the bass really works well. Lets just say it covers a bit of the 13 and the 16. The customs should have a better fit so looking forward to it.

I wish I was able to get back the next day to try out other CIEMs but unable to do so.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #1,557 of 8,377
I didn't have enough auditioning time to properly ascertain the treble. I was more overwhelmed by the bass and vocals. even turning the bass dial to half was still overwhelming. As far as I can remember or conclude, the treble is definitely laid back for me but in a smooth manner. From my short auditioning, I couldn't hear it as extended as maybe W4 nor as smooth and present. Pls do take my words as a grain of salt only. But what I'm pretty sure of it that the universal is huge. Fit might be a problem for those with small ear canal. Even I'm using large size tips most of the time, I do find it too big and heavy. Can't sit in properly without constantly holding it.

Yes the Universal Roxanne is really big, but the nozzle is pretty narrow even for me who uses small tips.  With regards to the Treble being laid-back, I can't really agree on that.  I believe the Roxanne's Treble is it's strong point.  I auditioned them with the bass cut at -5db and they shine.  I was also auditioning it with someone who mentioned that he had to EQ down the Treble for some tracks because it's sounding harsh.  He's using an RWAK120-B stacked with an RSA The Intruder I believe.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #1,558 of 8,377
I agree with fit and holding it in my ears. And after an hour of trailing all the universal JH models I thought my ears were bleeding. The best I have used are Shure earphones, so clearly I'm no audio/head phile. But comparing all JH models to the Roxanne was amazing. The music had new definition, spaciousness and warmth. I initially didn't like JH13, it seemed a bit thin. Like it lacked definition. Sound was crisp and clean but seemed to lean heavily toward mids and highs. I didn't totally love the JH 16 either. Seemed a bit dark and leaned much more heavily toward the lows. After multiple back and forth with those models, the 13's sound grew on me and I was going to buy them. Then the Roxanne's arrived. Total game charger for me. Best of all worlds. Had all the crisp detail of 13 but added a new level of spaciousness. Had the bass of 16 but it was much less dark and heavy. Perfect blend of all the tones for me.

I thought the universal Roxanne fit better than the universal demos of all other models but it did stick out a bit and was heavy. I held on to them to maintain maintain a perfect seal. Mr Harvey said the final version had a much slimmer profile.

I have zero anxiety about this expensive purchase. The sound is phenomenal to me. Now I just need to figure out how I can get clearance from the control tower for the AK 120 to go alone with my new ears.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #1,559 of 8,377
So my K10s are arriving soon, and I've been informed that my Roxannes shall begin shipping today.

I scream in joy but my ears cry. They are only two, whilst I will be carrying 5 CIEMs with me around this business trip.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #1,560 of 8,377
I agree with fit and holding it in my ears. And after an hour of trailing all the universal JH models I thought my ears were bleeding. The best I have used are Shure earphones, so clearly I'm no audio/head phile. But comparing all JH models to the Roxanne was amazing. The music had new definition, spaciousness and warmth. I initially didn't like JH13, it seemed a bit thin. Like it lacked definition. Sound was crisp and clean but seemed to lean heavily toward mids and highs. I didn't totally love the JH 16 either. Seemed a bit dark and leaned much more heavily toward the lows. After multiple back and forth with those models, the 13's sound grew on me and I was going to buy them. Then the Roxanne's arrived. Total game charger for me. Best of all worlds. Had all the crisp detail of 13 but added a new level of spaciousness. Had the bass of 16 but it was much less dark and heavy. Perfect blend of all the tones for me.

I thought the universal Roxanne fit better than the universal demos of all other models but it did stick out a bit and was heavy. I held on to them to maintain maintain a perfect seal. Mr Harvey said the final version had a much slimmer profile.

I have zero anxiety about this expensive purchase. The sound is phenomenal to me. Now I just need to figure out how I can get clearance from the control tower for the AK 120 to go alone with my new ears.

Good decision there. Will you be getting the UIEM or the CIEM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back