New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Dec 14, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #1,456 of 8,377
Just went to mook this morning and tried the Roxanne.
I'd have to say it sound wonderful, clear, and articulate but somehow the 13 put a bigger smile on my face.
Also I think the lowest setting for the bass is 'bassy' enough.
Well, I already ordered the Roxanne so I can't change my order anymore but if I could, I would have ordered the 13 instead.
Though I can't guarantee any accurate information based on the few minutes of listening and my amateur knowledges, perhaps the custom model would sound better.

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #1,457 of 8,377
The Roxanne at least against the JH16 I can say is an upgrade. The bass boost really works well; the mids are not really recessed compared to my JH16. The details in mids and highs does not appear to change while adjusting the bass. The adjustable bass itself is a kicker. You can at least adjust the sound signature based on your mood or the tracks you are listening to.

I have not tried other CIEMs though. But hearing the demo version of Roxanne makes me even more excited to get my customs. Looking forward to mid January as Jerry confirmed.

If I have time tomorrow, I will go back to Mook to demo other CIEMs. I was about to try the Westones after getting my hands on the Roxanne but there was a queue in their booth. 

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #1,458 of 8,377
What other iem, s companies are there anyway . Maybe I can help a little maybe...

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #1,459 of 8,377
personally I tend to ignore all UIEM impressions of JHA products, its not what Id be purchasing anyway. Engineering preference for JHA is always going to lean towards their custom IEM. Need to filter out some of the noise.. The thing is confirmation bias $1500 is a lot of money... some ppl may not hear a difference while others will say its the second coming of the JH13's.. so it takes a lot of critical analysis and an understanding that subjectivity reigns surpreme in this hobby. FR charts are nice.. Frequency Decay Graphs are nicer.. but very hard to come by. Trusted reviewers are good too, but sometimes they get products for free/heavily reduced costs which can also influence a reivew. Its impossible to fully preview this equipment as opposed to a non-iem headphone which is a downside.. but read as much as you can with the right perspective. this goes with a lot in life too.. im just excited to try new HW! I will A/B against the 16s if and when theres another deal (Easter?)

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #1,461 of 8,377
  personally I tend to ignore all UIEM impressions of JHA products, its not what Id be purchasing anyway. Engineering preference for JHA is always going to lean towards their custom IEM. Need to filter out some of the noise.. The thing is confirmation bias $1500 is a lot of money... some ppl may not hear a difference while others will say its the second coming of the JH13's.. so it takes a lot of critical analysis and an understanding that subjectivity reigns surpreme in this hobby. FR charts are nice.. Frequency Decay Graphs are nicer.. but very hard to come by. Trusted reviewers are good too, but sometimes they get products for free/heavily reduced costs which can also influence a reivew. Its impossible to fully preview this equipment as opposed to a non-iem headphone which is a downside.. but read as much as you can with the right perspective. this goes with a lot in life too.. im just excited to try new HW! I will A/B against the 16s if and when theres another deal (Easter?)

well said.

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,463 of 8,377

The way I see it is that customs manufacturers make universal demo units to give prospective customers an idea of what their final product will sound like. Therefore it's in their own best interest to make their universal units sound as close as possible to their full customs. Not everyone is willing to buy a pig in a poke.

Those interested in the technical side of things can check out Rin Choi's blog and his measurements of my UERM demos and full customs, which show that a high degree of similarity can be achieved, provided the manufacturer is up to the task. According to my subjective listening impressions, my universal and full custom UERM versions sound almost indistinguishable from each other. So, in my book, it can be done.

I'm only interested in the universal fit version of the Roxanne this time, but even if I were in for the full customs, I'd try to demo the universal version first to get an idea of what I'll by shelling out $1500 for. Just my 2c.

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #1,464 of 8,377
James very well said. And that is very much better then jut well said. James you are correct in what you are saying as for me the tg did sound like they do now made custom. And I also completely agree with your anoligy of universal to custom. It just make s perfect sense .

Al D

Dec 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #1,465 of 8,377

The way I see it is that customs manufacturers make universal demo units to give prospective customers an idea of what their final product will sound like. Therefore it's in their own best interest to make their universal units sound as close as possible to their full customs. Not everyone is willing to buy a pig in a poke.

Those interested in the technical side of things can check out Rin Choi's blog and his measurements of my UERM demos and full customs, which show that a high degree of similarity can be achieved, provided the manufacturer is up to the task. According to my subjective listening impressions, my universal and full custom UERM versions sound almost indistinguishable from each other. So, in my book, it can be done.

I'm only interested in the universal fit version of the Roxanne this time, but even if I were in for the full customs, I'd try to demo the universal version first to get an idea of what I'll by shelling out $1500 for. Just my 2c.

I hear what you're saying, James, but I personally feel that uni-fit versions of CIEMs are not necessarily a helpful way to ascertain how a full CIEM version will sound.

Sometimes, they can just muddy the water, and, in a worst-case scenario, may even be downright misleading.

It is generally acknowledged that the MH334 sounds quite different in the treble than the 334TG! (probably because of the titanium sound tube).

average_joe has said a number of times, in the past, that he feels the Unique Melody uni-fit demos sounded very substantially different from the full CIEM versions (I haven't personally heard them and I also don't know if UM have now upped their game with their uni-fit demos).

I'm not totally disagreeing with you (there's a lot of rational sense in what you said), I'm just saying that there is a 'risk' in believing that a uni-fit will necessarily get one any closer to understanding what the full CIEM is likely to sound like.  I feel that it's still largely a 'pig in a poke', whether one listens to the uni-fit version or not.

Believe me, I wish, as much as anyone else, that uni-fits could be relied upon to be a quite accurate indication of their CIEM brethren, but I remain to be convinced.

As ever, everyone's mileage may vary
popcorn.gif

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #1,468 of 8,377
James I dont completely disagree.. as a sales tool for prospective customers and a baseline, but if they were indistinguishable what incentive would a company have to create one or the other? Given JHAs history and Jerry himself for that matter and their 'clients' I was just trying to say that impressions of universals are not necessarily worth their weight one way or the other as an emprical measurement for the custom version. Its beneficial to wait for reviews on the version you intend to buy. The customers 'unwilling to buy a pig in a poke' are presumably not in this wave of purchasers and are content waiting for the first/second/and beyond to review the entire process (impressions to 'burnt-in' impression). This is a really exciting time though, like the night before christmas.. So I totally understand wanting as much info as possible :)

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #1,469 of 8,377
Has anybody got their orders in yet? I am looking to get the Roxanne and wanted some opinions and feedback. I have their JH 16 pro with freqphase (probably have to recoup some money from them before investing in the Roxanne though) lol. My other choice was getting the Audeze LCD-X to diversify my portfolio little bit since I began getting serious about music and audio gear all I owned was just IEMs and most recently CIEM in the JH 16 pro. Just because they are easier to drive then full size headphones..but I am on verge of taking the next step so having little bit of dilemma ..well just look at the JH Roxanne, a thing of beauty..enough said

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #1,470 of 8,377
Honestly if you have to sell one for the other , wait for real reviews from people who other iem s to compare like jh16. As I have . I bought them cause I want them and if they are really not what I like and EQ CANT fix it then I will sell them. We all hear different so no one person can be a judge for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back