Nov 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #661 of 8,377
Probably not so soon.. Roxanne is still under preorder on their page

I see...
popcorn.gif

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #664 of 8,377
  Any good news?

Not here...
confused_face.gif

Really don't expect anything till after Thanksgiving holiday, though.  Kind of expecting them as an early x-mas...so receiving them the first or second week in Dec. is the impression I got when talking to them at CanJam when I ordered.

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #666 of 8,377
  Any good news?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684396/new-jh-audio-flagship-siren-series-roxanne/645#post_9999548

rolleyes.gif

ph34r.gif

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #667 of 8,377
I'm in SF and tried to find a rec'd audiologist to do the fitting - there's a lady who's primarily in LA but makes trips up here. Anyone done business with her before? Lisa Tannenbaum, her shop is called Musician's Hearing. Terrible website but plenty of 'name' customers so I presume she's knowledgeable. 

Totally excited about the new ones - I was goign to buy the regular (non 3A) JH16s as my first CIEMs (way more useful to me as I like them on the go / on planes much more than cans) but then the Roxanne dropped and I've been following this thread since. I'm an aero and car geek so carbon panels aren't anything new to me - personally I don't get it here (but of course, this is just subjective). Also, as far as I can tell from the pictures, the case isn't a reverse mold but a more universal cut. Anyone seen them in the flesh?

I do have one question for the more experienced of you: given that I'm not a musician - wouldn't it make more sense for me to keep my jaw closed during the fitting since I listen passively? After all, I'm pretty sure if I try to sing aloud anyone within earshot will make my lack of talent very clear.

(Also - what's this bit about a black friday sale?) 

Thanks for putting up with all of the silly questions, much appreciated.

--Dan

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #668 of 8,377
  I'm in SF and tried to find a rec'd audiologist to do the fitting - there's a lady who's primarily in LA but makes trips up here. Anyone done business with her before? Lisa Tannenbaum, her shop is called Musician's Hearing. Terrible website but plenty of 'name' customers so I presume she's knowledgeable. 

Totally excited about the new ones - I was goign to buy the regular (non 3A) JH16s as my first CIEMs (way more useful to me as I like them on the go / on planes much more than cans) but then the Roxanne dropped and I've been following this thread since. I'm an aero and car geek so carbon panels aren't anything new to me - personally I don't get it here (but of course, this is just subjective). Also, as far as I can tell from the pictures, the case isn't a reverse mold but a more universal cut. Anyone seen them in the flesh?

I do have one question for the more experienced of you: given that I'm not a musician - wouldn't it make more sense for me to keep my jaw closed during the fitting since I listen passively? After all, I'm pretty sure if I try to sing aloud anyone within earshot will make my lack of talent very clear.

(Also - what's this bit about a black friday sale?) 

Thanks for putting up with all of the silly questions, much appreciated.

--Dan

Hey Dan, With regards to the earphones, The case will be a reverse mold, but currently nobody has a real set yet besides some really special people so they should be reverse molds. Try Jude's Canjam reveal video.

Also JH requires an open jaw impression. It might not fit right if you do closed jaw.

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #669 of 8,377

http://www.head-fi.org/t/578855/things-to-consider-before-getting-your-custom-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #670 of 8,377

Also JH requires an open jaw impression. It might not fit right if you do closed jaw.

I, too, am interested in this.  Since I also will be only listening passively I figured I would make my impressions using a closed jaw.  If I make them with an open jaw I hope they fit when I am listening.

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #671 of 8,377
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Yeah I know they haven't come in yet, saw Jude's vid and the pics on this thread which made me think the case wasn't. Then again, my eyesight is probably as bad as my singing voice....

Best,

--Dan

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #672 of 8,377

I, too, am interested in this.  Since I also will be only listening passively I figured I would make my impressions using a closed jaw.  If I make them with an open jaw I hope they fit when I am listening.

Although it may seem counter-intuitive, the method of having open-jaw impressions (even if you don't sing with them) is a tried-&-tested one that works for the majority of customers. There would be absolutely no reason for CIEM vendors to request this if it ended up costing them more money in providing refits for customers.

As mentioned in one of my posts in the above thread link, there are some exceptions to having impressions done with open-jaw, but if your vendor asks you do have an open jaw, I strongly suggest you do as they ask. Please note that is absolutely critical that you don't have muscular tension when using the bite block - if you are lazy and let your jaw completely bear it's weight on the bite block (even if you're not deliberately trying to 'bite'), then there will be tension in some of the facial/jaw muscles and the size/shape of your ear canal may not be optimal. The same can also apply if you try too hard not to bite at all on the block, because your jaw muscles can go into spasm at the effort of holding the jaw wide open for 5 minutes or so. Therefore, it is worth a couple of minutes practice, to familiarise yourself with being comfortable with just gently biting the bite block. I don't mean to make this sound like rocket science - it definitely isn't. All I'm trying to do is to make you conscious of minimising any tension in your jaw muscles, either way.

Oh, it's also worth closing your eyes, so you don't feel compelled to talk, smile or make any other facial expressions whilst the silicone is curing. I can tell you this one from personal experience!

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #673 of 8,377
Although it may seem counter-intuitive, the method of having open-jaw impressions (even if you don't sing with them) is a tried-&-tested one that works for the majority of customers. There would be absolutely no reason for CIEM vendors to request this if it ended up costing them more money in providing refits for customers.

As mentioned in one of my posts in the above thread link, there are some exceptions to having impressions done with open-jaw, but if your vendor asks you do have an open jaw, I strongly suggest you do as they ask. Please note that is absolutely critical that you don't have muscular tension when using the bite block - if you are lazy and let your jaw completely bear it's weight on the bite block (even if you're not deliberately trying to 'bite'), then there will be tension in some of the facial/jaw muscles and the size/shape of your ear canal may not be optimal. The same can also apply if you try too hard not to bite at all on the block, because your jaw muscles can go into spasm at the effort of holding the jaw wide open for 5 minutes or so. Therefore, it is worth a couple of minutes practice, to familiarise yourself with being comfortable with just gently biting the bite block. I don't mean to make this sound like rocket science - it definitely isn't. All I'm trying to do is to make you conscious of minimising any tension in your jaw muscles, either way.

Oh, it's also worth closing your eyes, so you don't feel compelled to talk, smile or make any other facial expressions whilst the silicone is curing. I can tell you this one from personal experience!

I know you say it's counter intuitive and maybe a bit over-thinking but honestly that makes a ton of sense. Thanks a bunch for the comprehensive explanation.

Plus, it was pretty silly of me to think a) my question was unique and b) they wouldn't have considered that already. Now I just have to "practice" but not right here in the bar (people will get the wrong idea, hah).

--Dan

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #675 of 8,377
You want these threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-in-ear-monitor-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-28-reviews-audio-earz-aud-8x-added-11-19-13/0_30

http://www.head-fi.org/t/578855/things-to-consider-before-getting-your-custom-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit/0_30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back