New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
May 14, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #5,611 of 8,377
That's like saying "I don't know what I like, I'd rather buy what You like"

No. It's saying that I would trust someone who has better ears than me and has dedicated themselves to bringing a product to fruition. I know when something is wrong and I know when it is right. I do not have the ears to tell the tiny increments that make up the difference between the two.

May 14, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #5,613 of 8,377
No. It's saying that I would trust someone who has better ears than me and has dedicated themselves to bringing a product to fruition. I know when something is wrong and I know when it is right. I do not have the ears to tell the tiny increments that make up the difference between the two.

I agree. See this post by Tyll Hertsens from InnerFidelity where he of all people admits he does not like his own tuning on his Personal UERM. http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed-tyll-hertsens

If Tyll cannot get it right with all of his experience, I would not even try.

May 14, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #5,614 of 8,377
My OCD would drive me mad if the FR wasn't locked in.

May 14, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #5,615 of 8,377
I agree. See this post by Tyll Hertsens from InnerFidelity where he of all people admits he does not like his own tuning on his Personal UERM. http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed-tyll-hertsens

If Tyll cannot get it right with all of his experience, I would not even try.

How in the name of lord haysus krist do you not like your own tuning?! He tuned the damn thing. So you tuned it to like the sound to not like the sound?  
basshead.gif

May 14, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #5,616 of 8,377
  How in the name of lord haysus krist do you not like your own tuning?! He tuned the damn thing. So you tuned it to like the sound to not like the sound?  
basshead.gif

I would think tuning is a tricky business - you might get one of your favorite musical types spot on, but another type might turn out awful. An end user might focus too much on one portion of the tune, to the detriment of the whole - while a professional would be looking at the big picture...

Kind of a "can't see the forest because of the damned trees" thing.

I would never walk into... say a Macintosh R&D department and tell them their business - unless they hired me. Leave it to the pros.

Like hot-rodding an engine - I may get it to pump out 600 horsepower, but a real tuner could get 595 and be able to drive the car around the block, while I keep killing the damned before getting it in gear.

May 14, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #5,617 of 8,377
basshead.gif

He probably didn't a/b it with a professionally tuned iem during the tuning process, when he finally compared his custom tune to a pro tune.... guess he preffered the other....

I know professional piano players that hire pro tuners, same sort of thing.

May 14, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #5,618 of 8,377
  He probably didn't a/b it with a professionally tuned iem during the tuning process, when he finally compared his custom tune to a pro tune.... guess he preffered the other....

I know professional piano players that hire pro tuners, same sort of thing.

This is why I would like to avoid the personal reference monitors, that and twice the price.  I heard the UERM was tuned by capital records audio engineer? That tuning, how it sounds and the graph looks right to me.  It's neutral as ****!  3 drivers.

May 14, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #5,619 of 8,377
I would think tuning is a tricky business - you might get one of your favorite musical types spot on, but another type might turn out awful. An end user might focus too much on one portion of the tune, to the detriment of the whole - while a professional would be looking at the big picture...

Kind of a "can't see the forest because of the damned trees" thing.

I would never walk into... say a Macintosh R&D department and tell them their business - unless they hired me. Leave it to the pros.

Like hot-rodding an engine - I may get it to pump out 600 horsepower, but a real tuner could get 595 and be able to drive the car around the block, while I keep killing the damned before getting it in gear.
When I was age 9 I had no problem using my receivers bass & treble knobs to get the sound I liked. When I was a teen, my car stereo had an 8 band EQ, which I used to set my sound signature. And yet here...in a community of seasoned audiophiles and music lovers, there's fear of a tuning box with 3 knobs per side?

May 14, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #5,620 of 8,377
When I was age 9 I had no problem using my receivers bass & treble knobs to get the sound I liked. When I was a teen, my car stereo had an 8 band EQ, which I used to set my sound signature. And yet here...in a community of seasoned audiophiles and music lovers, there's fear of a tuning box with 3 knobs per side?

Damn - I didn't know it was so easy to assemble and tune 10 driver customs with myriad resistors, filters, caps and wires....

I'll start my own CIEM business - I'll call it Chivalrous Audio - maybe my 8 TWFK per side CIEMs will now become a reality
wink_face.gif
​ 

May 15, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #5,621 of 8,377
I met up with an IEM designer a couple of years ago, it's actually not that easy to tune BA drivers. I watched him tuned one of the drivers by hand, but he wouldn't know how it would sound like exactly until it's inside the case, the frequencies response graph on the screen doesn't equal to what one would hear because the case and the shape and size of one's ear canal would change the FR completely, it's a very laborious process. Whatever frequencies response selected by a customer may not transfers 100% accurately to an IEM I think, and the more drivers the more difficult cause it's quite easy for phasing problems to occur.

Damn - I didn't know it was so easy to assemble and tune 10 driver customs with myriad resistors, filters, caps and wires....

I'll start my own CIEM business - I'll call it Chivalrous Audio - maybe my 8 TWFK per side CIEMs will now become a reality:wink_face: ​ 

May 15, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #5,623 of 8,377
May 15, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #5,625 of 8,377
I wonder if it's another CIEM Korean company like Hidition who also applies Mother of Pearl plates to their CIEMs. 

http://hidition.co.kr/color

Might be but AA is a South East Asian company. Probably Singapore. Big maybe. I am not sure.
But Westone and 1964 also does MOP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back