New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Feb 2, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #3,391 of 8,377
I'm really interested in AK120 Titan for my Roxanne. More than anything, I think I want to stay portable. I don't really completely understand the impedence discussion, but it looks like Red Wine Audio AK mod lowers the impedence from 3 to 1. This is very positive, correct?

They also have a B and S mod, but it seems that they need to utilize a separate amp. I haven't really considered this direction. How much am I missing? Should I be refocusing again?

I have no affiliation with Fiio or iBasso, but I really think you should at least consider listening to their forthcoming X5 or DX90 DAPs before shelling-out on an AK120 variant.  It might be that you still go for an AK120 afterwards, and that's fine, but please don't assume that just because the X5 and DX90 are less than half the price of the AK120 they are unable to compete, in terms of SQ. Cheaper DAPs are getting better and better at the moment.

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #3,392 of 8,377

I have no affiliation with Fiio or iBasso, but I really think you should at least consider listening to their forthcoming X5 or DX90 DAPs before shelling-out on an AK120 variant.  It might be that you still go for an AK120 afterwards, and that's fine, but please don't assume that just because the X5 and DX90 are less than half the price of the AK120 they are unable to compete, in terms of SQ. Cheaper DAPs are getting better and better at the moment.

i was first looking at ak120 for my roxannes. then saw the a k240 , decided to get them but I've been hearing that the sq of x5 is almost 90% of hm901 which I've read is a lot better than astell and kern in SQ. 

now am confused , zx1, x5, a k240, hm 901, calyx m ???? 

but since portability is very imp to me, i guess its  either zx1, x5, or calyx m 

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #3,393 of 8,377
All this choice in the DAP market is a pain, on the one hand, but on the other, it's a glorious luxury! Only a couple of years ago, the audiophile DAP market was a relatively arid wasteland, with only the occasional oasis, and even some of those turned out to be little better than mirages!

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #3,396 of 8,377
i was first looking at ak120 for my roxannes. then saw the a k240 , decided to get them but I've been hearing that the sq of x5 is almost 90% of hm901 which I've read is a lot better than astell and kern in SQ. 

now am confused , zx1, x5, a k240, hm 901, calyx m ???? 

but since portability is very imp to me, i guess its  either zx1, x5, or calyx m 

I'm in the same boat, with all the same questions. Anything will be an upgrade for me since I have only listened to my iPhone.

With the portability issue, how do you got the choices down to only zx1, x5 and calyx?

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #3,397 of 8,377
I would rule out the ak120/240 if value is important. The GUI is better on those but they are overpriced re: sound quality IMO.

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #3,399 of 8,377
  Any scuttlebutt on where the plugs come from?  They seem a lot like a certain industrial plug, but the sizing of the pins is not the same.  Might they be 100% custom and never seen before?

I belive that's what JH claims - he's supposed to provide them to cable makers for custom cabling.

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #3,401 of 8,377
GUI = graphical user interface.

I would say for a device like these, it's more the higher level UXD (user experience design) that is the issue.  

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #3,402 of 8,377
Sorry to repost the same question but it was glossed over last time:
Anybody have any information on then the first batch of universal roxys will be shipping?
Moon-Audio said end of January but their product page hasn't even changed.

Also what DAPs will people be using with their roxys?
I've decided on the Fiio X5 so far

You should ask Moon about it :)

I've been using my ZX1 for it lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back