NEW JERSEY meet interest check: (target date: weekend in July)
Jun 10, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #63 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you guys don't mind if I jack the thread for a second, but do any of you know of any hi-fi shops in New Jersey? I'm in Burlington County and I am having a hard time finding any via google.

There are a number of "hi-end" audio stores around the area. To name a few:

Landes Audio - Chester
Savant Audio - Princeton
CSA Audio - Montclair
Audio Connection - Verona

... from my experiences however, most of them are as audio snob as audio snob can be.

I can host at my place depending on how many will attend. If it is more then I can accommodate we have a community building we could use for a few hundred bucks. I would also have no problem shuttling people from the Dover train station up here (about 10min drive)

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #65 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CSA Audio - Montclair

... from my experiences however, most of them are as audio snob as audio snob can be.

Can't talk about the other ones but CSA Audio was really helpful and not snobby to me when I just came in for a Grado Black cartridge. I would recommend them but they don't really have anything Head-Fi.

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #67 of 87
i think im gonna feel puny to bring 2 pairs of cans and a pico. i sold away all my desktop gears.
redface.gif

is anyone with a predator coming to the meet?

Jun 14, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #68 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
we have a community building we could use for a few hundred bucks

I'm 2 weeks into a 3 week trip and haven't been on the grid much, sorry (you don't think much about the internet when you're looking at the falls in Yosemite). Anyway based on the above I asked our office admin today to start over with a $200 budget (of which we can probably get a 50% discount leaving $100 for us all to split) with local hotels other than the Wilshire Grand: Marriott Courtyards in West Orange and East Hanover, and some others.

Will report Wednesday. Asking for either 7/26 or 7/27.

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #69 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do people think about the suggested areas?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is anyone with a predator coming to the meet?

I'll drive anywhere. If I fail (again) at the Essex/Morris idea, or even if I find something, if everyone prefers Sussex that's AOK I would think.

I have a brand new Predator, arrived just in time for my trip, red-and-black to match the red-and-black Cowon I7, also arrived JIT. Plus folding Ultrasones 2008 PRO 750s (split re-cabled by Drew at Moon-Audio), with black-and-red custom mini2mini cables from both BrainSalad and Moon-Audio (and a non-matching one from ALO too). Took all these, plus an iQube, an iPod Shuffle, Shure 500 IEMs, and (my very old) Senn PX-100's and PX-200's on the trip. I think I got the new stuff burned in enough, don't know.

Will bring all this. And sitting at my office when I get back I am told there is a box with the new 600 Ohm Consumer (not Pro -- difference is an N [headband clamping value in Newtons] of 2.5 instead of 3.5) Beyer 880's with custom colors (black, red, white). Will bring those too.

Initial Conclusion: SQ of both Predator and iQube is fantastic. Different but no preference on my part (depends on music and phones). So I opt for the Predator based on size. Have not used USB yet. Cowon is fantastic, SQ blows away iPod shuffle. Some EQ settings are horrible, turned them all off.

All the cables sound the same. This makes sense, distance is so short. So I go with BrainSalad on price and flex of cable. The Ultrasones are so, so good -- silky, liquid sound that stand up to the Shures, with (obviously) better bass; I can no longer listen to the Senns, even the PX-100 sounds bad to me. So I now have to lug the Ultrasones, but they do fold. My wife takes them from me to listen herself, that has never happened with cans before! A Senn cable-tie holds the units together perfectly, and shows the Senn logo, which is nice. I get a lot of head-turning from seats near me in first class when I take out and fire up the rig (I'm an old traveller with a zillion airline miles in my account so I am always in the front of the plane).

You can listen for yourself at the meet.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #70 of 87
Nice little mini-review there!

Sorry about disappearing... I had it set to send me e-mails when people responded to the thread and that stopped working, so I assumed it was inactive.

If you can get the hotel room, I can personally assure you I'll help cover the charge if you require financial assistance. I tried calling my high school, but didn't get ahold of anyone, and nobody returned my call. It sucks because I can't visit in person because of work.

And yeah, I say bring vendors if you want by personal selection. Don't be afraid to say "no" to certain vendors if you think they'll be a distraction, which I've heard has happened at meets before. The vendors I've met have all been fantastic people, personally, but I don't see any reason to not exercise caution.

I agree, the two-meet thing wouldn't work well, and it would be more costly for everyone.

Jun 20, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #72 of 87
Got it! Marriott Courtyard in East Hanover NJ (the West Orange Courtyard would NOT play ball) is available both days. $200, and I have $100 to give in Marriott Money, so that we only need to pay $100 cash. That's $5 from each of 20 people.

I will drive there Friday to look at the room and be sure it is not too small (like the one at the Wilshire Grand).

Do I tell them Sat 7/26 or Sun 7/27? Looks like Sat wins by a nose.

East Hanover (Route 10) is easy to get to from I.287 or Exit 4 of 280.

(Don't confuse with Hanover Marriott which is also on Route 10 but not a Courtyard! This one is called Marriott Courtyard Hanover or sometime East Hanover. Confusing and tricky -- taxis go to the wrong one all the time. We are at the COURTYARD.)

Jun 20, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #74 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got it! Marriott Courtyard in East Hanover NJ (the West Orange Courtyard would NOT play ball) is available both days. $200, and I have $100 to give in Marriott Money, so that we only need to pay $100 cash. That's $5 from each of 20 people.

I will drive there Friday to look at the room and be sure it is not too small (like the one at the Wilshire Grand).

Do I tell them Sat 7/26 or Sun 7/27? Looks like Sat wins by a nose.

East Hanover (Route 10) is easy to get to from I.287 or Exit 4 of 280.

(Don't confuse with Hanover Marriott which is also on Route 10 but not a Courtyard! This one is called Marriott Courtyard Hanover or sometime East Hanover. Confusing and tricky -- taxis go to the wrong one all the time. We are at the COURTYARD.)

Saturday is the best for me.

It is very easy to get to and from that Marriott. There is also some decent food around the area.

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #75 of 87
I'm gonna go ahead and call it Saturday. I have a good friend who was interested in going on Sunday, but Saturday the 26th has been winning for the entire time, so let's plan on that.

Confirm the details, confirm the time we've got it for (the MAXIMUM time they'll let you have it if possible), send back the info to the thread, and I'll start an OFFICIAL thread so we can get a gear list going and get this party started!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back