NEW JERSEY meet interest check: (target date: weekend in July)
Jun 20, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #76 of 87
OK Saturday it is. I will book the room today and post that all is well, plus the hours we have the room for, etc.

Our Enigma friend is right about the food -- superb sushi and Indian nearby. Also Vietnamese. Mexican only fair, but fun. However in this part of Jersey a reservation is a MUST for Saturday night, so we need to (a) pick the type of food and (b) get a headcount.

Do we do a lunch break? You can't really bring food in to the hotel, and their food is costly. There's the Macaroni Grill + Chili's duo just down the street. Also every fast food place in existence.

I was in Seattle on Wednesday and wanted to stay for their meet tomorrow but ... what if my wife grounded me for the rest of the summer?? JERSEY RULES!

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #77 of 87
Give us a list of options for dinner, and we'll post on it.

I saw we book something nice, and something appropriate at the same time (nothing fancy). Lunch is definitely mandatory. Trust me, you'll be starving by the time it rolls around, and there's no sense in going one-by-one when there's only 20 of us, so let's make it a group affair, time TBD. Chili's wouldn't be bad, but if it's busy, it might take a while, and take away from listening time! In that case fast food might be the best option. At the NYC meets we basically broke for lunch and went our separate ways. At one meet we ordered out for pizza, actually.

Everyone I've met at meets eat meat, but if there are any vegetarians, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #78 of 87
Can we do the starving students a favor and not make the meals TOO pricey? I am all in favor of having a good time but a real expensive dinner is probably a no for a lot of kids.

Jun 20, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #79 of 87
I wasn't suggesting an expensive dinner, that's why I said "nothing fancy". I'm a student, too, you know! Being poor is an everyday normal.

Jun 21, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #80 of 87
OK we are lock-and-load for Saturday July 26th at the Marriott Courtyard in East Hanover. The contract is in my email in-box, and I am about to give them my credit card. I'll ink it personally, but the sponsor sign on the conference room door will say Head Fi so folks can find it.

I will tell you the exact hours in a later post (after I download the contract) -- I asked for 9 am to 6 pm, assuming the official start is 10 am.

The price went up a hundred (they claimed $200 was for a half day only), but they were still way less than the other places. If we collect $5 from the non-students I am OK no problem.

I say students pay $0. With the price of gas it is tough enough already.

And I like the idea of sneaking pizza in the side door for lunch -- easy, I checked it out today.

The room holds 25. I ordered three long tables along each of the side walls -- this is the way they had one of the rooms already set up and it looked good.
And 25 chairs (usually you only get 20).

The room is right by the side fire door so we can carry in equipment without making a fuss in the lobby.

I will get there at 9 am and will also stop at Jersey Boys on the way and bring a huge bag of bagels with stuff to spread. I will also bring heavy duty (BrainSalad Audio made them for me) extension cords and plug strips.

They have a restaurant list that I will get and relay so you can post it and we can reserve for dinner. Cheap is good.

I think that wraps it up. I will be off the grid all weekend, back on the air Monday.

Jun 21, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #81 of 87
Wow, this is shaping up to be a great, well organized meet. Thanks to wavoman for footing the bill!

I'll most likely be there if nothing serious comes up and its not TOO hard to get there from manhattan. Anyone have any suggestions using NJ transit or something?

Jun 21, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #84 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, this is shaping up to be a great, well organized meet. Thanks to wavoman for footing the bill!

I'll most likely be there if nothing serious comes up and its not TOO hard to get there from manhattan. Anyone have any suggestions using NJ transit or something?

Unless I am forgetting something the only options will likely be a bus or a train to South Orange and have someone pick you up.

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #87 of 87
If you posted in this thread, post in the new thread telling me you're going and what gear you're bringing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back