New Jecklin Float QA !!!
Apr 17, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #481 of 740
Quote:
So has your set settled down and been reliable now after the initial problems?

I spoke to QUAD Musik about my old power supply, and they say the problem was with the outlets. The newer units do indeed have different outlets, and ever since getting the updated version I haven't experienced any of the problems I had before.

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #482 of 740

I had a chance to listen to the  Float-QA headphones that were developed by Jurg Jecklin. Quad purchased the company and is manufacturing the headphones in Germany. I spoke with Manfred Stein and they will be available shortly in the US at $3000 and that price includes the power supply. In a short demo they sounded very neutral and very lifelike  if you looking for the ultimate headphone the Float is worth an audition. They were in the Headzone at the NY audio show. I was impressed and also did not find them uncomfortable nor heavy. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #483 of 740
I'd probably get a set if they didn't look like an IKEA kit
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #484 of 740
They do look very weird but they really sounded excellent I was very impressed in a short demonstration. Manfred Stein told me it was like having a speaker on your head and surprisingly it was not uncomfortable. Just Weird

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #487 of 740
I think I'm somewhat lucky to have a large head.  Mostly because it means a bigger brain inside 
wink.gif
 but also because it means the old style fits me well.  They are remarkably comfortable for long listens.  

And when I wear them it makes my wife laugh, she says it will never get old.  
duggehsmile.png

I have not tried the old transformer to compare with the new, but color me impressed with the Floats in general.

May 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #488 of 740
Does the release of its Jecklin amplifier ?

May 4, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #490 of 740
Man I'd like to try a pair one day... but unfortunately I am in Norway so that most likely won't happen unless I order some. Being 18, 3000$ headphones is not in the near future though haha.

May 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #491 of 740
Good God, you'd think they could improve the looks after this much time, instead they made them worse...

However, if it performs as well as its supposed to, I really don't care how downright dumb it looks.

May 31, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #492 of 740
Quote:
Good God, you'd think they could improve the looks after this much time, instead they made them worse...

However, if it performs as well as its supposed to, I really don't care how downright dumb it looks.

There are actually two spiritual successors to the original Floats.

The company who originally put out the Floats was called Precide, and they make a headphone in the same spirit as the original Floats today called the ERGO. I'm not sure if Jurg Jecklin is associated with these in any way, however. Instead of electrostatic drivers the top model in their lineup uses a Heil-type Air Motion Transformer driver which gives it more in common with the TakeT piezoelectric headphones than these electrostats. But yeah, the frame is like a refined version of the original Floats and looks quite a bit more polished than these.

These headphones on the other hand are made by a small company that mostly repairs old Quad speaker panels. Jurg Jecklin was directly involved in their development from what I understand, but the project was very much a small-scale endeavor, basically one or two guys building them in their home.

May 31, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #495 of 740
I have an AMT too
In many ways a very exciting and amazing headphone, with detail to rival the Stax SR-009, but with completely different presentation and sound stage.

The one thing I'm still on the fence about is how the lower octaves are reproduced.  When listening it seems adequate and well integrated but when you switch to say a Stax you realise something that the bottom end is not so pronounced.
I think Duggeh who wrote a great review of the AMT suggested using some equalisation.  I have a jecklin Transdyn box which implements something like a fletcher-munson eqialisation but based on Dolby A I believe.  This helps a bit but would like more 
biggrin.gif
.  Have you found a solution to this or is it not an issue for you?

Quote:
I like my AMT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back