New Jecklin Float QA !!!
May 31, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #496 of 740
Quote:Complin
I have a jecklin Transdyn box which implements something like a fletcher-munson eqialisation but based on Dolby A I believe.  This helps a bit but would like more 
biggrin.gif
.  Have you found a solution to this or is it not an issue for you?  

I bought mine with the Ergo 1 amp. Wasn't bad but obviously not up to the AMT level.

I got Duggeh to send me the wiring diagram of the stock transformer box. It had inductor coils and caps in it.

I then made up a box with a variety of different inductors and capacitors so that I could switch them in/out of circuit.

I have this connected to a 80W class A balanced amp.

I was going to use a signal generator to test the different switch positions and see how they changed the cut/boost of the top and bottom end but never got around to it.

Something to try in the future.

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #497 of 740
I think I have made these points already previously in this thread but I can't stay quiet. I was so excited with these precide Ergo headphones in the past.

I have owned both Ergo 2 and A.M.T. I actually somewhat preferred Ergo 2 to the A.M.T. Speed and detail was amazing with A.M.T. but Ergo 2 was more balanced overall.  

A.M.T doesn need EQ to make it sound OK. Upper mid frequensies are too hars without EQ and bass response is too weak. You can EQ the high frequensies down but you can't EQ the bass up. The A.M.T. element just can't produce enough bass.

I have used the original filter box and Pioneer GR-777 EQ. The Pioneer was fun gadget to play with. Original box was just fine.

It might be that the A.M.T. really steps up with it's own dedicated amp but I really doubt it. I sold my A.M.T. when I got my Stax LNS. 

I would really like to hear the new Jecklin though. Please give me a shout if you own one and live in Finland and are willing to let me try :)

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #500 of 740
It would also be interesting to know if Precide made a special A.M.T. driver for the Ergo or is it just taken from one of their speakers.

Speaking of speakers... I would really like to hear a pair of them some time. Especially the Kithara seems interesting.

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #502 of 740
At present there are 4 new Jecklin Float QA in Bangkok , Thailand.
Here is the setup at one of our taf.in.th member (=head-fi.org in Thailand)

Several Thai head-fiers love this so much .  However because our limited budget
we may be able to buy only the headphone but will figure out how to make our own
power supply with similar quality or even better quality so that we can save almost half of the cost
Several senior Thai head-fiers said that the new Jecklin Float QA kills this Stax collection hand down
(Stax Sigma, 507, O2mkI, O2mkII)

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #505 of 740
I had a chance to try JF for a while yesterday.  I have to say that I'm very impressed.  The JF is unexpectedly light and comfortable.  It's a totally different listening feeling from Stax headphones.  It really felt like as if I was listening to a pair of ESL.  Thank to the large active diaphragms, the sound stage is big.  
beyersmile.png

I really enjoyed it.

Wachara C.

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #506 of 740
I think Spritzer thought it was possible to build something like this, I know he has done quite a lot of work on transformer boxes for Stax so perhaps you could collaborate?

The ideal though I would have thought is a decent amplifier ala BHSE/KGSHV to drive them with 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Several Thai head-fiers love this so much .  However because our limited budget
we may be able to buy only the headphone but will figure out how to make our own
power supply with similar quality or even better quality so that we can save almost half of the cost

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #507 of 740
It would be pretty easy to DIY a transformer for these.  Finding something off the shelf is pretty much impossible though and the bias supply has to be laid out but that takes no more than an hour. 

You need a rather different amp from the Stax centric designs to drive these I'm afraid. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #510 of 740
Quote:
I think Spritzer thought it was possible to build something like this, I know he has done quite a lot of work on transformer boxes for Stax so perhaps you could collaborate?

The ideal though I would have thought is a decent amplifier ala BHSE/KGSHV to drive them with 
biggrin.gif

Spritzer quite correctly pointed out it is impossible to drive Jecklin Float with amps intended for Stax to anything like approaching full volume. Even if bias/polarizing voltage is made appropriate for Float.

A MUCH bigger amp is required, with far greater voltage swing, at the very least twice that required for Stax. Which for all practical purposes means tubes for output stage. If done correctly from the technical point of view, it unfortunately doubles as electr(ostat)ic chair - should any insulation fail, it is more than capable of furnishing The Ultimate Transient (ending your life there and then). So do not expect any manufacturer will be crazy enough to offer one - besides, it is illegal according to electrical governing bodies, at least in the EU. Regardless of legislation, it can "unlive" you - anywhere...

I also do not expect transformer of comparable or even better quality than present QA could be built for considerable less money. Factor in the time, eventual write-off(s) of what most likely will be custom transformer(s) and the like - there is not enough market at this calibre for another manufacturer to consider offering alternative "box" for Floats. But if you think you can pull it off for a single or few pieces - wish you good luck. Voltages and other requirements for Float are anything but begginer's project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back