New Jecklin Float QA !!!
Mar 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #466 of 740
Quote:
On the subject of the QA transformer, I should say that mine has been working without any problems since being replaced. Which is good because even with a modest amplifier it still sounds quite impressive to me.

I need to find a better solution for storing the Float QA. I'd like to protect it from dust when not in use, so I've been using a plastic storage bin. It's a bit unsightly, so I would prefer to find a wooden box and line it with felt or foam.

I find it really incredible how different transformers can sound, comparing the old to the new power supply, which is basically the same thing, just built around much better transformers.

But why are you so afraid of dust? Specifically with the QA box, there are no openings in the enclosure, and despite the fact that I would prefer to not leave it out in a sand storm, I think it's a rather not so sensitive device.

Speaking of amplification, may I ask what you have been trying it with it? The difference between the Quad 405 and the 520 has been incredible, even though they come from the same stable and are pretty similar devices. So I have the impression that stepping up with sources and amplification, the Floats seem to grow and grow and grow with the equipment that they are connected to, without ever loosing their character. That's another thing that is pretty similar to my LS3/5a's. The speakers never changed, but everything else around it, and still I never even once had the feeling like I should think about replacing the speakers. The Floats are the first transducers I encountered post LS3/5a infection that seem to have the same quality to them. I simply could't think of anything better, at least not in a budget that still is within reach and reason. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #467 of 740
Quote:
But why are you so afraid of dust? Specifically with the QA box, there are no openings in the enclosure, and despite the fact that I would prefer to not leave it out in a sand storm, I think it's a rather not so sensitive device.

Speaking of amplification, may I ask what you have been trying it with it? The difference between the Quad 405 and the 520 has been incredible, even though they come from the same stable and are pretty similar devices. So I have the impression that stepping up with sources and amplification, the Floats seem to grow and grow and grow with the equipment that they are connected to, without ever loosing their character. That's another thing that is pretty similar to my LS3/5a's. The speakers never changed, but everything else around it, and still I never even once had the feeling like I should think about replacing the speakers. The Floats are the first transducer that have the same quality to them. I simply could't think of anything better, at least not in a budget that still is within reach and reason.

By storing the Float QA, I meant the headphones and not the transformer (I have the newer version of the headphones). I'd like to find a better solution for housing them when not in use rather than leaving them out on my audio rack. The transformer itself just stays on the shelf so no worries there.

Previously I was using my Leben integrated, but now after selling it I'm currently without much in the way of speaker amplification, just a very modest T-amp. Even still I am surprised by just how competent the Floats sound even with a very cheap solution like this. Not sure what I'll be upgrading to soon, but I'd like to get something nice as I believe the Floats will be part of any "end game" setup I have in the future. Even with a very modest setup they still get a lot of head time.

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #468 of 740
Quote:

By storing the Float QA, I meant the headphones and not the transformer (I have the newer version of the headphones). I'd like to find a better solution for housing them when not in use rather than leaving them out on my audio rack. The transformer itself just stays on the shelf so no worries there.

Previously I was using my Leben integrated, but now after selling it I'm currently without much in the way of speaker amplification, just a very modest T-amp. Even still I am surprised by just how competent the Floats sound even with a very cheap solution like this. Not sure what I'll be upgrading to soon, but I'd like to get something nice as I believe the Floats will be part of any "end game" setup I have in the future. Even with a very modest setup they still get a lot of head time.

Ah, sorry, I guess I was so fixated on praising the transformer box, that I was too ignorant to understand the storage issue with the headphones. Actually, I haven't been able to audition them QA phones (yet). Or maybe I am too afraid to be tempted to buy them...

But back to the storage issue: I actually like to store my old Float IIs on my head. That's where I feel they are best kept. :wink:

I also have a small Indeed T-Amp, and it works great with the Float, and of course I don't know your taste and preferences, but the Quad family has some really amazing offerings. The 510 mono amps and the 520 stereo amp from the pro lines are breathtaking with the Floats (and the LS3/5a's, I admit). Using a 606 or 909 will provide stellar performance too, but I am a total Quad head when it comes to power amps (as long as they underwent a thorough revision, www.dadaelectronics.eu), so my view might be slightly biased... and I haven't heard a Leben before. No idea how that would compare. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #469 of 740
There was no high voltage being generated.  I changed a few capacitors that were clearly dryed up and falling apart, but that didn't cure the problem.  The EHT in the power supply was not working as it should and Quad was (is) going to rebuild the cascade.

Quote:
What was broken with yours? Mine has some issues too, especially the speaker/headphones switch is worn (or hasn't been used enough), so one has to switch back and forth several times to have both channels working. But I guess that's just an oxidation issue of the contacts. 
Actually, before I decided on the QA, I was in contact with Sowter in the UK to make me some custom transformers... but that would have been almost as expensive as the QA transformer box, and for that money, a tad too experimental I guess... 

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #470 of 740
Quote:
There was no high voltage being generated.  I changed a few capacitors that were clearly dryed up and falling apart, but that didn't cure the problem.  The EHT in the power supply was not working as it should and Quad was (is) going to rebuild the cascade.

Strange- where are there capacitors in the PS2?? I opened it the other day to check on the switch, but couldn't find any of those.

I actually was a little offended by the poor build quality of it, yet surprised that it was even able to drive the Floats. Upon a phone conversation with Manfred S., while I was complaining about the transformers in the PS2, he came out to me saying that Mr. Jecklin was using his Floats with much larger transformers and would not touch the PS2. It made me scratch my head, to say the least. But I am glad that we now have a better (if not to say, stellar) solution with the QA transformer box.

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #472 of 740
Quote:
There are a couple of cheap paper caps in there. They are still available for purchase.

I see, you have a PS1, very different from mine...I have the latest revision of the PS2.
I know these caps from the spark surpressing network on the volume pot/on-off switch of my Quad 33. To the best of my knowledge, those don't exist in mine. What is their purpose in there?

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #475 of 740
Quote:
In very few forums would pictures of capacitors be commented with YouTube-links to dear Barbra... me likes! :-D

I thought it the most fitting comment possible - they both stem from about the same time ( or at least I had PS1 around in early 80s ) - and "life was beautiful then - what's too painful to remember, we simply choose to forget ...". PS1 actually belonged to a friend who sometimes listened with Floats at such high level that those poor capacitors kept giving up ghost - after each such "session". X2 capacitors are the way to go, the most important characteristic of caps in anything associated with electrostatics is slew rate ( V/uS ) - this spec varies in film caps wildly, you simply have to go with the fastest one you can lay your hands on.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #476 of 740

New Jecklin Float QA at Thailand Hi-End AV show 2013
http://forum.munkonggadget.com/detail.php?id=106443
Here are some pictures from the meeting (above picture= new Jecklin Float QA
with Ayre AX5 amplifier)

:new Jecklin Float QA on Hia Munkong , big boss
of Munkonggadget.com  (most favourite site of Thai head-fiers)

We use Nordost Jumper Cables

There were several famous head-fiers who attended the meeting and had tried the new Jecklin Float QA
This is one of them

Here are some of the initial impressions (more will come when
we have more chance to listen in a better environment than in the Hi End AV show)

"The new Jecklin Float provides different feelings from other headphones, very impressive"

"I should not have tried the new Jecklin float, now I cannot listen to my headphones . My heart is longing only for Float"

"If you want home speaker system with headphones, this is it"

"This new Jecklin Float QA can cause collapse of the Stax Dynasty"

"This is the best headphones  I have heard during the past year"

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #477 of 740
Thnak you Kiertijai looked like a very interesting event
Pity Google translate is not very good with Thai 
eek.gif

Your Mr Hia Munkong looks a little stern, is he head of the Thai mafia 
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #478 of 740
While doing a quick walkthrough at the NY audio show yesterday, I discovered the latest Jecklin. I liked it much better than the Stax SR-009 which I sampled at the Woo demo.
Neither were an extensive listen, and of course the sources were not the same. The Jecklin had a superior sense of openness that the Stax didn't. $3000 for the phones and amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back