New iRiver AK70
Mar 27, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #1,021 of 1,293
  I'd love to hear from anyone else who looked into the compatibility of 200GB microSD cards.  The only mention I can find is earlier in the thread of someone who seemed to find that the AK70 stopped reading after 140GB, but since there is no sequential order of the data I wonder how that can be true--unless it just randomly misses data after the card is filled over 140GB.

In fact, I have never heard a clear explanation from manufacturer or user about any of this SD size limit business, namely whether there is really any technical basis to the limits since they too often mean bupkis (least of all because they depends on the largest available SD sizes at time of writing technical specs).

I am using a 256GB Samsung EVO+ micro sdxc card that is almost completely full of music. The main memory of the AK70 is also almost full. I have had no problems at all with all music on the card and in the main memory being indexed by the AK70. About 80 percent of my music is 16/44.1 flac and the remainder is 24/88.2, 24/96 and 24/192 flac.  All the high res music is on the 256GB card.

Mar 27, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,022 of 1,293
  I am using a 256GB Samsung EVO+ micro sdxc card that is almost completely full of music. The main memory of the AK70 is also almost full. I have had no problems at all with all music on the card and in the main memory being indexed by the AK70. About 80 percent of my music is 16/44.1 flac and the remainder is 24/88.2, 24/96 and 24/192 flac.  All the high res music is on the 256GB card.

I can't wait until the price comes down on those.  

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #1,023 of 1,293
  I can't wait until the price comes down on those.  

The prices seem to go up and down every week.  I bought mine from BHPhoto during a week when it was relatively down.  The Samsung cards can be found cheaper on other sites like Amazon and eBay, but I was worried about getting a counterfeit that was not really 256GB.  256GB is a lot of music, and I loaded the card via a USB 3.0 card reader from a PC.   Loading the card while it was in the AK70 would have taken a long, long time. 

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #1,026 of 1,293
  I've not seen too many comparisons between the AK70 and the DP-X1. Has anyone tried both? Now that they are within $100 of each other... I'm a little undecided in which direction to go.

I think the general consensus here is that the DP-X1 offers better sound and resolution. However, I think with the AK you are getting a better built product and also the prestige of the AK name. I also think that the AK interface is better than androids which have been implemented in DAPs.

Comparable sound to the DP-X1 is the AK320 although you will be paying a huge premium.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #1,027 of 1,293

I think the general consensus here is that the DP-X1 offers better sound and resolution. However, I think with the AK you are getting a better built product and also the prestige of the AK name. I also think that the AK interface is better than androids which have been implemented in DAPs.

Comparable sound to the DP-X1 is the AK320 although you will be paying a huge premium.

Hey Cuiter, I notice that you are using the EE Spartan IV with your AK300 - I was looking to get a pair of the Universal Spartan's (following a few PM's with Jack) but what is your overall opinion of them paired with this DAP? and just generally overall?  Most of the chat over on the EE forum is about the Zeus and so I would just be interested in your thoughts?

Thanks

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #1,029 of 1,293
  Where can I fan the actual power ratings of the SE and Balanced outputs of this DAP?

This is the US Astell&Kern page for the AK70 https://us.astellnkern.com/collections/portables/products/ak70  .

This what the second to last page of the AK70 User Manual page on specifications has:  
"Output Level   Unbalance 2.3 Vrms/ Balance 2.3 Vrms (Condition No Load)"    "Output Impedance  Balanced Out 2.5 mm (1 ohm) / Phones 3.5 mm (2 ohm)"

I don't know if there is any more info than this.

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #1,030 of 1,293
  This is the US Astell&Kern page for the AK70 https://us.astellnkern.com/collections/portables/products/ak70  .

This what the second to last page of the AK70 User Manual page on specifications has:  
"Output Level   Unbalance 2.3 Vrms/ Balance 2.3 Vrms (Condition No Load)"    "Output Impedance  Balanced Out 2.5 mm (1 ohm) / Phones 3.5 mm (2 ohm)"

I don't know if there is any more info than this.

What does it mean though...  according to online calculator... in the area of 100mW. Not so powerful.

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #1,031 of 1,293
  What does it mean though...  according to online calculator... in the area of 100mW. Not so powerful.

Most headphones and IEM's specs will have an SPL in dB per Vrm or mW, sometimes referenced at a frequency. Sometimes they will show a max voltage or mW input.

I'm not sure how helpful any of these specs are.  Mostly someone has to try a specific DAP with specific headphones or IEM's and say yep it sounds good or no it doesn't.  If somebody knows or even has a theory about how to accurately calculate DAP specs vs headphone and IEM specs, I would like to hear about that formula.

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #1,032 of 1,293
  Most headphones and IEM's specs will have an SPL in dB per Vrm or mW, sometimes referenced at a frequency. Sometimes they will show a max voltage or mW input.

I'm not sure how helpful any of these specs are.  Mostly someone has to try a specific DAP with specific headphones or IEM's and say yep it sounds good or no it doesn't.  If somebody knows or even has a theory about how to accurately calculate DAP specs vs headphone and IEM specs, I would like to hear about that formula.

That makes 2 of us...as I still haven't picked my DAP yet.

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #1,033 of 1,293
Perfect fit in a Pelican 1010 case. Just enough space for the AK70 and 1 pair of IEMs. 

Hi! I also have my ak70 on a peli1010 with a pair of Noble IEMs. I have the feeling that the top of the case when closed, pushes the IEMs against the player screen... the clear color ones have some extra space but the black ones are tighter due to the protection foam.
Do experience the same?
Thanks!!

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #1,035 of 1,293
Hi! I also have my ak70 on a peli1010 with a pair of Noble IEMs. I have the feeling that the top of the case when closed, pushes the IEMs against the player screen... the clear color ones have some extra space but the black ones are tighter due to the protection foam.
Do experience the same?
Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back