New iRiver AK70
Oct 7, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #1,217 of 1,293
I have spoken to our engineering team in detail after discussing EQ issues with a few people here in this thread and on Facebook. Our team is looking into the issues and hoping update the EQ settings in a future firmware update. Let me check in with the team and see if I can get an update.

Hi Jason, Any update on this? Many thanks.

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #1,218 of 1,293
I want a new cable for my in-ears (StageDiver SD2), mainly because i prefer a thicker cable without memory wire and the stock cable is slightly too long (140cm).

Question now is: staying SE or going balanced?
For those who have compared both outputs back to back: is it worth going balanced (better sound? vs. less playtime, incompatibility with my DAP for working out)?
Thanks

Oct 15, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #1,219 of 1,293
Anyone having issues with using the AK70 as DAC with a Macbook? I get frequent dropouts and noise bursts... On my work PC it's perfectly fine and glitchless.

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #1,221 of 1,293
Hello guys!
My lovely Final Audio heaven IV just passed away after 3.5 working years.
Now I'm thinking about Earsonics sm2 or Etymotic ER4-PT-B.
I'm not a bass head and I really like my FA, but I wanted a little bit bass.
Writing about headphones choosing here because we all have not working EQ)
Any opinions?

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #1,222 of 1,293
Oct 18, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #1,223 of 1,293
I hope you guys don't mind me posting here but I just bought a AK70 and am having no luck with playlists. They're all blank. I even tried creating a playlist by going to "recently added", and selecting all and adding them to a new playlist. It creates the playlist but it has 0 songs. Is this a known problem?

How do you guys sync your playlists?

I'm really liking the AK70 but this is killing my experience so far.

EDIT - I realized the issue is only with the internal memory. playlists work without issue on the microSD card

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #1,224 of 1,293
Couple days ago, I was riding my bike. At a red light, I quickly took off my jacket (warmer than I thought) and put it in my backpack, and put my AK70 in my jeans pocket.
Green light, took a corner, and my precious AK70 fell out of my pocket. I looked behind me, and saw a car driving over it (rear right wheel, dap in the middle of the tire). I felt like it was going in slo-mo, my 2 weeks old new DAP crushed? Was my karma that bad?

Picked it up, a tiny tiny scratch but was still working fine.
Build quality? Check!

Oct 20, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #1,225 of 1,293
Couple days ago, I was riding my bike. At a red light, I quickly took off my jacket (warmer than I thought) and put it in my backpack, and put my AK70 in my jeans pocket.
Green light, took a corner, and my precious AK70 fell out of my pocket. I looked behind me, and saw a car driving over it (rear right wheel, dap in the middle of the tire). I felt like it was going in slo-mo, my 2 weeks old new DAP crushed? Was my karma that bad?

Picked it up, a tiny tiny scratch but was still working fine.
Build quality? Check!

Amazing!

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #1,226 of 1,293
After doing some back to back between MKII and my AK70 KAI mod, I can confidently say the mod is better than the MKII. Just a thought, if you love the AK70 small form factor, pick one up cheap now that they're all being dumped and have it modded. Same functionality as MKII, but smaller and better sound.

Oct 27, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #1,227 of 1,293
After doing some back to back between MKII and my AK70 KAI mod, I can confidently say the mod is better than the MKII. Just a thought, if you love the AK70 small form factor, pick one up cheap now that they're all being dumped and have it modded. Same functionality as MKII, but smaller and better sound.

Thanks for the reminder! I forgot about that mod.

Can I ask how to order? I can't seem to find his website or email. Also, what's the turnaround?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #1,228 of 1,293
Thanks for the reminder! I forgot about that mod.

Can I ask how to order? I can't seem to find his website or email. Also, what's the turnaround?

I think there's different ways to order. You can send him an AK70 or ask him to buy a new one in Japan. I asked to buy a new one, because of the different color options in Japan (I got a white one).

Just e-mail him for more info: info [at] m-s-tech.jp

Just a word of warning: the work he does is great, but he's not the most responsive. So be patient :)
He had some issues with my mod, so he had to replace faulty caps after the mod was already finished. All in all, it took a few months, but he's told me in a recent conversation that he's updated his process and it should be much quicker in the future.

Oct 28, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #1,229 of 1,293
Thanks! At the rate that AK releases new players, I may opt to wait since I don't have a backup DAP. Let's see what he does with the new AK70.

I'm also rocking the Katanas and a Mojo. With the Katanas, did you see much improvement through the AK70 mod?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #1,230 of 1,293
Thanks! At the rate that AK releases new players, I may opt to wait since I don't have a backup DAP. Let's see what he does with the new AK70.

I'm also rocking the Katanas and a Mojo. With the Katanas, did you see much improvement through the AK70 mod?

I don't use the Katana anymore. I've boxed it up and is up for sale.

Regardless, I have think I can answer your question in an other way.

Before, with my little AB box, it was easy to distinguish between Mojo and the AK70. With the modded one, the differences are way smaller and I'm not confident I would be able to pick them out blind.

The biggest contribution to that most likely is that the output impedance is much lower/better now (from 3+ Ohm to 0.4 Ohm). Output impedance is a DAP spec that a lot of people ignore and goes a long way in explaining why certain DAPs sound different to others with IEMs with wildly irregular impedance curves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back