New iRiver AK70
Jul 26, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #361 of 1,293
  FYI, just measured AK70 maximum play time.

Testing methodology:
Headphone output set to : 100 mV rms (0dB sine wave) - Volume at 123
Load : 16 ohms IEM
Screen off most of the time.

Result: 9:43' (9 hours 43 minutes)

The number seems a bit longer than what I'm getting, and I'm using a lower volume (but maybe a higher load, not sure what my MH1 load is).
I'm suspecting the touch screen on the AK70 is not particularly power efficient, that's the only thing I can think of because I'm still changing tracks a lot. :wink:

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #362 of 1,293

The number seems a bit longer than what I'm getting, and I'm using a lower volume (but maybe a higher load, not sure what my MH1 load is).
I'm suspecting the touch screen on the AK70 is not particularly power efficient, that's the only thing I can think of because I'm still changing tracks a lot. :wink:

The test was done with screen off. Screen takes a lot of power, much more than the headphone output, so if you use it a lot, it will be much less than 9 hours.

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #363 of 1,293

The test was done with screen off. Screen takes a lot of power, much more than the headphone output, so if you use it a lot, it will be much less than 9 hours.

Yeah I'm aware the screen uses the most power.
On the official site they list it as a TFT-LCD screen, just thinking maybe they could get more juice out of it if they use an AMOLED one instead, especially with the AK style dark interface.

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #367 of 1,293
Hi everyone! First time posting.

I recently got an AK70 and can echo some of the other posters regarding poor battery life. I noticed the unit can get very hot, especially when playing audio files above FLAC 44/16.

The battery drain is terrible. Playing an album of roughly 14-15 songs (maybe a little over an hour of audio) at FLAC 44/16 drains about 10-12% of the battery and similar album at 48/24 drains as much as 33-37%. 

I'm puzzled why this is happening. I'm wondering if maybe the battery is faulty? Or be issues related to the Android OS and the "memory leak" issue it can sometimes have? I tried factory reset after updating the firmware from 1.05 -> 1.10 but no change.I didn't use the unit enough on 1.05 to see if this issue was occurring then.

I sent an email via AKs website but have yet to hear anything.

Really sad about the issues because otherwise it is a really great little unit with wonderful sound. I hope AK addresses these issue somehow.

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #368 of 1,293
Yeah and I doubt they'll respond, I've email them a few times for a variety of reason but they never ever respond, good luck. AK makes great products but there support leave a lot to be desired.

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #370 of 1,293

I recently got an AK70 and can echo some of the other posters regarding poor battery life. I noticed the unit can get very hot, especially when playing audio files above FLAC 44/16.

The battery drain is terrible. Playing an album of roughly 14-15 songs (maybe a little over an hour of audio) at FLAC 44/16 drains about 10-12% of the battery and similar album at 48/24 drains as much as 33-37%. 

I'm puzzled why this is happening. I'm wondering if maybe the battery is faulty? Or be issues related to the Android OS and the "memory leak" issue it can sometimes have? I tried factory reset after updating the firmware from 1.05 -> 1.10 but no change.I didn't use the unit enough on 1.05 to see if this issue was occurring then.

Really sad about the issues because otherwise it is a really great little unit with wonderful sound. I hope AK addresses these issue somehow.

That's why i returned mine to amazon. But i bought another one on moon-audio last night. I hope it will be better.

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #371 of 1,293

It plays about an 8 hour or so just like any other AK daps. I haven't measured mine but should probably last around the same.

The battery spec is 2200mAH. It lasts even less if you pair it with the Mojo.

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #372 of 1,293
That's why i returned mine to amazon. But i bought another one on moon-audio last night. I hope it will be better.

I got mine from Moon, so I think it is the same for all.

It plays about an 8 hour or so just like any other AK daps. I haven't measured mine but should probably last around the same.

The drain still seems excessive though. Even with brightness low and screen frequently off, I'm still barely getting to 8 hours. Usually its in the 7 range. But it is my first AK device coming from Sony/Apple devices, so maybe I am a bit spoiled battery wise.

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #373 of 1,293
I have some questions about the ak70
- How's the battery life?

I have a range of flac files mostly between 44.1 - 192KHz and with just over two hours listening it dropped 25%. I was using the DT1350 cans and I listen quietly ~40 volume, nothing else was turned on, no wifi, no bluetooth, no eq, no AK connect and from the internal memory. Anecdotally I would say the battery life improved over the first few cycles.

Quote:
  I tried the DPX1 and AK70 a few mins ago. AK70 was good via balance out but when I used the USB to connect to my Hugo and tried DSD playback was full of stutters and other file types get pops and ticks...that was a deal breaker. 

I get the clicks and pops via the Hugo also but I am using PCM files not DSD. Sometimes its constant, sometimes for 5 seconds every 30 seconds or so, with some tracks it is worse when the screen is on. It is disappointing it would be a great rig :) For whatever reason they don't seem to like each other I hope Astell & Kern can sort it out.

Nick

edit - PCM files

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #374 of 1,293

I got mine from Moon, so I think it is the same for all.

The drain still seems excessive though. Even with brightness low and screen frequently off, I'm still barely getting to 8 hours. Usually its in the 7 range. But it is my first AK device coming from Sony/Apple devices, so maybe I am a bit spoiled battery wise.

The AK70 is also capable of outputing about twice the power of Apple devices (iPhone 6S headphone out is 1VRMS exactly, Sony ZX2 is about 1.5VRMS IIRC while the AK70 is 2.3VRMS). If AK selected a less powerful (and thus less power hungry) amp module I'm sure they can squeeze much more play time out of this little thing, but then who would buy this? :wink:

Jul 27, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #375 of 1,293
I've had mine for around two weeks now with no battery issues. I've used the ak70 as a stand alone player, with mojo, with kse1500 and I haven't noticed heat or excessive drain. I received mine from Moon as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back