New iRiver AK70
Jul 20, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #303 of 1,293
Even for a lower end AK player its still $999 AUD here in Oz.

Then the AK300 is $1399

Luckily, I can demo AK70 (and others) very close to me.

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #304 of 1,293
I was talking to one of my friends about this player (he owns an ak100+mojo combo) and what came up was that we both believe the ak70 was made specifically to target ak100 owners that are seeking an upgrade in a dap that is connected to the chord mojo. However, from what @audionewbi has said it seems that for a 'new' player at this price point the sound quality has taken a dip in terms of AK standards and respective to the digital out section and that it does not really deliver in comparison to other players connected to the mojo (at this price) . Does this mean that in regards to the player at this price point; there is no merit in owning this player as a standalone unit without the chord mojo & the main reason to own one would be for its aesthetics (physical look and user interface) rather than it's sound quality? and if possible if anyone had the ak100+mojo setup prior do you notice an increase or a decrease in sound quality?

Cheers in advance 
dt880smile.png

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #305 of 1,293
  I was talking to one of my friends about this player (he owns an ak100+mojo combo) and what came up was that we both believe the ak70 was made specifically to target ak100 owners that are seeking an upgrade in a dap that is connected to the chord mojo. However, from what @audionewbi has said it seems that for a 'new' player at this price point the sound quality has taken a dip in terms of AK standards and respective to the digital out section and that it does not really deliver in comparison to other players connected to the mojo (at this price) . Does this mean that in regards to the player at this price point; there is no merit in owning this player as a standalone unit without the chord mojo & the main reason to own one would be for its aesthetics (physical look and user interface) rather than it's sound quality? and if possible if anyone had the ak100+mojo setup prior do you notice an increase or a decrease in sound quality?

Cheers in advance 
dt880smile.png

good question because the AK70 could also be a good USB source for the WooAudio WA8 that I really liked with my HE-X.

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #307 of 1,293
I was talking to one of my friends about this player (he owns an ak100+mojo combo) and what came up was that we both believe the ak70 was made specifically to target ak100 owners that are seeking an upgrade in a dap that is connected to the chord mojo. However, from what @audionewbi
 has said it seems that for a 'new' player at this price point the sound quality has taken a dip in terms of AK standards and respective to the digital out section and that it does not really deliver in comparison to other players connected to the mojo (at this price) . Does this mean that in regards to the player at this price point; there is no merit in owning this player as a standalone unit without the chord mojo & the main reason to own one would be for its aesthetics (physical look and user interface) rather than it's sound quality? and if possible if anyone had the ak100+mojo setup prior do you notice an increase or a decrease in sound quality?

Cheers in advance :dt880smile:

I never said as stand alone it is bad sounding but as a USB source to Hugo and few other DAC the unit is unstable. Specially with for Hugo owners I would suggest avoiding ak70.

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #308 of 1,293
Jul 20, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #312 of 1,293

Cheers in advance 
dt880smile.png

I DIY a OTG USB cable out of scrap cables which works perfectly with the AK70/Mojo, the whole "bad USB" thing is blown way out of proportion if you ask me.

I owned an AK100 previously for a short period of time, until I sold it and moved to the ZX-1.  As a stand alone I think the AK70 out of box is better than than the AK100 out of box due to the well known impedance issue with the AK100 which ruins a lot of low impedance IEMs (so maybe need no apply to RWA modded version), plus on the spec sheet the AK70 has more output power - these two factors alone should already mean the AK70 is going to pair better with more headphones than the AK100.  And as I'm a "bits are bits" guy when you are using the Mojo you are listening to the Mojo, not the player, which then makes no difference.

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #313 of 1,293

@Ultrainferno - what cable are you using to connect the AK70 and Mojo?

I actually think it is a cable that came with the ALO CDM

I haven't had a chance to try mine with the CDM, but mine works fine with the mojo and the penon audio USB cable. Why was it not working with the CDM?

AK says something like : "Connected device not recognized"

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #314 of 1,293
mmm.....oh....I though the CDM and the AK 70 via USB works. I'm glad I did not purchase the AK 70 and opted for the Onkyo DP X1. USB to USB works flawlessly. And Tidal.com works flawlessly over DPX1 to CDM via USB.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #315 of 1,293
It's a good think I didn't buy ak70 as a USB source else I would be really disappointed right about now.

I personally don't care about USB out. But AK does and it does get used a lot for a selling point, maybe AK should release a list of compatible devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back