New Ipods on September the 5th!!
Sep 4, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #106 of 351
Do you think the price on a refurbed 4th gen will drop? Just asking as I'm thinking of getting one and sending it to Vinnie to be imodded.

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #108 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No you didn't; I held it up as an example of Apple's inability to restrict a system to its original intent. Pray tell, how does adding functionality defeat the original purpose?

Because Apple made it closed to improve stability. Hacking it defeats the purpose of making it closed.

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #109 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fanboys rejoice...prepare your wallets for some MASSIVE lightening by Jobs...I for one, will be eyeing the Refurb store on Apple.com cause all the Nanos and other ipods will get rediculously cheap like the OG shuffle did...yay for cheapskates like me!

my sentiments exactly

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #110 of 351
Here's a pic I found earlier today!
4p9bzpc_300.png

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #111 of 351
hmm, first U2, then pirates, and now ET? What is the world coming to?

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #113 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because Apple made it closed to improve stability. Hacking it defeats the purpose of making it closed.

Apple made it closed to force people to buy movies from their website. One of the first hacks (< 1 week) introduced the DIVX codec so other movies could be sourced. Others created an upgrade path to replace the 40GB disk with larger compatible equipment.

I'm sure the iRiver was supposed to be a closed system too. I doubt the manufacturer intended for it to get Rockboxed as it would destabilize the hardware, at least from their perspective.

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #114 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Refubished old ones will continue til stocks run dry. Ebay too.

I imagine it will take a little time to sell through existing stocks at Best Buy, Circuit City, Frys Electronics, etc. They'll probably be around for a month or so after the announcement, discounted appropriately.

EDIT: I'm shocked, Best Buy shows them as unavailable in Phx too. Does Apple recall them for spares or are the stores that good at inventory control?

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #115 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by grape ape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my sentiments exactly

I feel no need to rush out unless there was a high cap model that had optical out. Even then I'd wait a few months for people to post their opinions (maybe for the 6.5 release).

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #116 of 351
Quote:

I feel no need to rush out unless there was a high cap model that had optical out...maybe for the 6.5 release.

You definitely have a long wait ahead of you, then.

Sep 4, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #118 of 351
For those of you that are looking for a deal on the current iPods, you should notice price drops soonafter the release of the latest iPod. Apple may or may not be releasing the new iPod on the date of announcement, so it could affect when you're able to get the cheaper price. Either way, another good bet is just getting a refurbed iPod from Apple directly.

All that being said, this is the first iPod announcement in a while that I've been interested in, especially if the top of the line iPod goes wifi and they have the iPhone-like interface going on. I just kind of wish we could get to the point where all the iPods used flash drives.

Sep 4, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #119 of 351
Quote:

As I said, I see no need to rush out. I'm happy with an iMod 5.5G until that happens.

If it happens in like, never.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back