New Ipods on September the 5th!!
Sep 3, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #91 of 351
I thought the benefit of Mac OS was there was a healthy supply of developers, companies that would program/release extensions to benefit the iPod-- e.g., GPS, maps, extension of iTunes functionality on the iPod, ...

Because there is a dearth in developers now for the iPod this is a benefit.

Sep 3, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #93 of 351
Responding to the multi-touch-- if multi-touch functionality then does this mean I could use the iPod to take notes like via a iPhone like keyboard? That would be a very nice benefit to me so I could use the iPod in place of a PDA or other note-taking electronic device. (I also hope they get rid of the 1000 note limit that exists with the current iPods-- this could be another benefit of the Mac OS.)

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #94 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's still closed. I can't go get an iPhone and stick slingplayer on it.

Seriously, will some one tell me why it matters in any way that OS X will be on the new iPods?

if by "open" you mean anything and everything can be installed, including the kitchen sink, then you are correct. the iphone is not "open" in this sense. but it's not OS X that determines the openness or closedness(?) of the iphone. because OS X the potential is there for all sorts of development (including, perhaps, slingplayer), IF/when apple allows it.

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #95 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you referring to Scripts here?

no. there are a few "native" apps for the iphone from 3rd party developers...not many, mind you, but a few.

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #96 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if by "open" you mean anything and everything can be installed, including the kitchen sink, then you are correct. the iphone is not "open" in this sense. but it's not OS X that determines the openness or closedness(?) of the iphone. because OS X the potential is there for all sorts of development (including, perhaps, slingplayer), IF/when apple allows it.

But Apple WON'T. The reason why the iPhone is so stable is because it is closed. All my phones are pdaphones, and run on WM5 or 6. If I load one up with a badly-written program, or too many programs, it will crash.

But what makes the iPhone stable also makes it worthless to anyone that uses a pdaphone. I can't put Kayako on the iPhone (not like it has a good keyboard, anyway), I can't put GPS programs on it and pair it with my bluetooth GPS receiver, etc. The iPhone is useless to "power" users like me.

It is a good phone, though.

So, I ask again, OS X, so what?

And if you want a pda and media player, and don't mind a large package, take a look at the Cowon Q5. It runs Windows CE on a MIPS processor, so it can do a little more than the average media player.

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #97 of 351
Quote:

So, I ask again, OS X, so what?

New UI, ie. Coverflow (The Beat Goes On announcement picture). I won't be surprised if all iPod UIs would sport the iPhone's by next year. OS X on the big iPod would also pave the way for a future wi-fi feature.

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #98 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New UI, ie. Coverflow (The Beat Goes On announcement picture). I won't be surprised if all iPod UIs would sport the iPhone's by next year. OS X on the big iPod would also pave the way for a future wi-fi feature.

Thanks for answering my question. Sounds nice. If it comes out, I will have to test out a friends.

I do like the iPhone UI, but it being GSM and closed and lacking a keyboard makes it a non-option for me...

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #99 of 351
With a supposedly upcoming touchscreen, the iPod might have identical keyboard the iPhone has. Test the iPhone's keyboard if its to your preferences. Then again this would limit the iPods to note taking only. Perhaps editing tags/playlists. I'm pretty sure its not for power users though. I still say nothing beats tactile keys.

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #100 of 351
Quote:

...The iPhone runs OS X. It's closed. You can't put any programs on it.
rolleyes.gif

Apple TV is a 'closed' OSX system yet people have hacked it so you can run ssh and other programs on it. People are working on getting the full linux stack running on it.

You have to keep in mind if its running OSX nowadays that equates to an intel processor in it. There is no shortage of creative Wintel Linux hackers out there. So, it may turn out to be a very big deal.

Sep 3, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #102 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple TV is a 'closed' OSX system yet people have hacked it so you can run ssh and other programs on it. People are working on getting the full linux stack running on it.

You have to keep in mind if its running OSX nowadays that equates to an intel processor in it. There is no shortage of creative Wintel Linux hackers out there. So, it may turn out to be a very big deal.

Did I say Apple TV? No, I said iPhone. And of course it will get hacked, anything is possible. But that like, defeats the purpose.

Sep 3, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #103 of 351
Quote:

Did I say Apple TV? No, I said iPhone. And of course it will get hacked, anything is possible. But that like, defeats the purpose.

No you didn't; I held it up as an example of Apple's inability to restrict a system to its original intent. Pray tell, how does adding functionality defeat the original purpose?

Sep 3, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #104 of 351
at the risk of sounding quite noobish, I'd just like to ask:

If Apple does in fact debut a new iPod, that doesn't necessarily mean that retailers will stop having the 5G iPods, right? I'm hoping to get one for christmas, and I don't think I can swing the price increase with my parents, and I'm not sure I want one of the new ones if they come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back