NEW information on JH-3a
Jul 16, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #1,351 of 2,176

Quote:
i respect jha because they make a great sounding custom, but i highly doubt youll get type of thank you, sincere apology (not just the generic one they MIGHT do), or reimburse any postage fees.  when i ordered my 1200$ jh16s, i asked if i could rock a free tshirt for them... a 2$ shirt + silk screening.. maybe 3-4$ total, and of course they said no free shirts. at that point, i knew what kind of company they would be and didnt expect any more from them.  

After all thats happened, I'm not really expecting they do either, I just think they should.

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #1,352 of 2,176

Quote:
I'm a bit ambivalent on their business practice. They are infact a small company with a not-so-high revenue and I would understand that they would need to cut the line on how "friendly" they should be to customers so that they could maximize their revenue; if they should happily replace all orders, fill all errors, and use express or overnight shipping only because of the customers' personal reasons, they will lose valuable $$$ from their profits. Versus a company like Sennheiser, whose revenue is just over 400 million dollars, I'd think JH Audio's actions are quite warranted, although I would've appreciated a bit of that "extra mile" from such a personal, and down-to-earth company.

Again, I'm thinking in Jerry's shoes, as I have stated in earlier posts. My 2 cents.

The above is a completely different animal from the JH3A communication issue; I totally agree JHA should offer refunds to those who want to back out... I only preordered because at that time (April) they had announced that they will be shipping in "a couple weeks" but here we are, three months later.

This comes down to they age old debate of whether or not a company should spend in order to gain.  As people have detailed above, better communication - actually much better communication, a tee shirt or case here or there, & postage fees ( most of which are only local) would speak wonders for there reputation. I worked in sales for years and it has always been my opinion that - it's all about the little things. (as long as you have a great product which they do.)
They might loose a little to start with but they would certainly avoid whats happening now to a large extent which would have lost them many sales/customers as a result. Think of how much their reputation has been hurt now due to the 3a being mishandled. 
Most companies would kill to have a thread like this literally spelling out the issues with all this customer feedback. It's incredible that almost none of it has been taken on by JHA.
I have no doubt that their 3a will improve and have it's kinks ironed out. It's a shame that something so awesome leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #1,353 of 2,176
JH Audio should call these three companies and ask for their advice on customer service. I have found all to go above and beyond in customer care. And I believe all to be small companies also.
Red Wine Audio
Cryoparts
Audeze

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #1,354 of 2,176
JH Audio should call these three companies and ask for their advice on customer service. I have found all to go above and beyond in customer care. And I believe all to be small companies also.
Red Wine Audio
Cryoparts
Audeze

Although a relative newcomer, Schiit should be added to this list as well. I'm sure there are others that should be mentioned, but Schiit is one that came to mind instantly and if anyone keeps up with their threads, you'd know why.

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #1,355 of 2,176
EDIT: On second thoughts, bad joke (completely unrelated to the topic). I hope both sides are able to sort all these issues out amicably and fairly. Must be a testing time for both customers and J Harvey himself.

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #1,356 of 2,176
I'm finally enjoying some of the marvels of this system but here are some of the on going issues I'm wrestling with.  Note I'm not bashing JHA at all.  I'm just noting the real problems I am facing to see others share my problems. 

Amp/dsp/dac Issue:
Turn on amp/dsp, on several occasions but there is no pop, no blue led light indicating digital signal and there is no sound coming from the amp to IEM. 

Gain Issues:
1. Pops when turned on and fizzes and sizzles until it settles into a low hiss.
2. When gain dialed all the way down, there is still some moderate volume. Sometimes when dialed down, there is no sound.  But now most of the time, there is sound when turned all the way down. 
3. Right before the volume is set to the lowest setting, volume begins to distort, almost like a short.
4. Volume gain on digital is so set so high that it almost goes from moderate to high with nothing in between.
5. Volume gain on analogue is almost the opposite. It’s set a too low compared to the digital gain. On some of the songs, it is turned up almost to it's limit. 

Battery Issues:
1. I might be experiencing some battery issues also…but need more time to evaluate the problems. It might be losing charge too fast and taking too long to charge. 

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #1,357 of 2,176
Not taking sides here. I do want the noise floor fixed and I think this will get done after my emails with Jerry who I must say responded quickly even out of the country. I have had such a great experience with JHAudio otherwise. I live in Tampa Fl which is only 1.5 hours from Apopka. When I had an issue with my JH13s I drove to JHAudio and met Jerry, Brittany and the crew. Funny thing was that Matt Macbeth was also there with the prototype JH3A which they covered up when I walked in. Anyway, Jerry tried to have them fix the fit of my ear pieces which were not sealing well. We went back and forth like 2 times after which he told them to shoot new molds right there and then and make me new ear pieces which I received like a day later. I was very impressed with them. I feel they must be under a lot of stress right now with this and do agree that regular status emails would have helped alleviate a lot of the negativity we are seeing right now. As it stands, all I need is the noise floor fixed and perhaps less bass with the bass pot at zero and this thing will be unbelievable. I do believe that this will get fixed soon (fingers crossed)!

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #1,358 of 2,176
When I sent my unit back a few weeks ago I specifically asked to have my Bass tuned down, which in my mind helped a whole lot and gives a lot more control of the bass knob.

I don't have any gain or floor noise issues in my amp.  The volume has quite a bit of play...and on mastering that have higher dynamic range, I can go up to 12 o'clock comfortably.  There is the tiniest bit of floor noise when nothing plays but really nothing out of the ordinary, especially considering most albums have more floor noise than the unit itself :)

The more I listen to my unit the more i'm amazed at how great this thing is. Sound is really addicting!!

Quote:
Not taking sides here. I do want the noise floor fixed and I think this will get done after my emails with Jerry who I must say responded quickly even out of the country. I have had such a great experience with JHAudio otherwise. I live in Tampa Fl which is only 1.5 hours from Apopka. When I had an issue with my JH13s I drove to JHAudio and met Jerry, Brittany and the crew. Funny thing was that Matt Macbeth was also there with the prototype JH3A which they covered up when I walked in. Anyway, Jerry tried to have them fix the fit of my ear pieces which were not sealing well. We went back and forth like 2 times after which he told them to shoot new molds right there and then and make me new ear pieces which I received like a day later. I was very impressed with them. I feel they must be under a lot of stress right now with this and do agree that regular status emails would have helped alleviate a lot of the negativity we are seeing right now. As it stands, all I need is the noise floor fixed and perhaps less bass with the bass pot at zero and this thing will be unbelievable. I do believe that this will get fixed soon (fingers crossed)!

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #1,359 of 2,176
This thing really sounds amazing. wow. The soundstage, imaging and 3D presentation are nothing short of amazing. My Lisa III with LLP and the JH13 have been gaining dust over the past week. I also have a little bit of hiss when no music is playing but since I mostly listen to rock that is no problem.. also most of the albums, as the poster above mentions, have much more hiss than the unit. I can’t really hear the noise floor when music is playing.. even if I consciously look for it.

[size=10.0pt]I have been using the unit with my laptop/foobar2000 and the USB cable.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]I also have experienced a couple of times the no light/no music when I turn on the unit. But now I try to turn on the unit prior to connect it to the source. which seems to be of help in avoiding the issue.[/size]

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #1,360 of 2,176
I wanted not to share my frustration because I figured out a long time ago that my words had no bearing on the outcome of the JH-3A.  What I have been wanting to say wouldn't speed up the process or put me closer to the front of line.  At this point my emotions are getting the best of me because it's late and I am frustrated just like most everyone here so I decided to write.  I put skin in the game back in February when I paid for my JH-3A.  I was told then that the device would ship soon thereafter.  I sold all of equipment to make way for this ground-breaking product thinking audio nirvana wasn't far off.  As you can guess I've been without what I have become accustomed to, my JH-13s.  I sent those in a while back as suggested by JHA.  So I get it too folks; this stinks!

However, as a group we've been showing our disapproval for JHA customer service and nothing has changed.  Let's be patient and keep waiting with optimism.  No?  Let's not stress.  If that's too hard for some then maybe it's time you take your skin out of the game.  I know JHA said no more refunds but I'm not so sure they truly meant that.  My thinking is that they were certain the device would be shipping so their announcement was simply in an acknowledgement of that fact.
I'm not asking peeps to back out because of any reason other than to calm their nerves.  I'm not looking to move up in line
ph34r.gif
  But for the price of the JH-3A one could spend  that elsewhere to make one wicked setup.  I've thought about doing that numerous times.  Only because I keep reading this thread to see others sticking around, I'm sticking around too.  I've also been bragging to my engineering friends how sweet the JH-3A concept is
etysmile.gif

P.S.  I'm really sticking around because I still have a huge crush on one of the JHA girls I met at RMAF in '09.
blink.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #1,364 of 2,176
I have been sitting on this post for amost a week. I wrote it, then I copied it into Word and thought 'I may never post this.' Why? Because I have no skin in the game. Anyway I am glad that some people are happy with their JH-3A units. The best descriptions from the happiest people apply well to my Solo+Pico Slim+ES5 rig so I don't think that the issue of whether JH Audio has delivered on this special revolutionary product is resolved. Anyway below are my thoughts for a long time, finally written, finally posted, and off of my chest.
--------------------

[size=10pt]I'll stop biting my lip long enough to unload my shock at all of this.[/size]

[size=10pt]To my mind, the most important fact that came out over the last few months was JH Audio's surprise that the JH-3A had a toslink out instead of coaxial out. While that was later corrected, it was direct evidence that JH Audio had little to no involvement in the design of the DSP. They just outsourced it to a Chinese party after the relationship with Matt ended. Now imagine if Jan Meier had announced the specs of the Stepdance - top SQ with minimal compronmise to size and battery life, active balanced ground, unique stepped attenuator - and then flaked off before designing it. Could Mrs. Meier just have handed the concept to a Chinese OEM and said 'create that'? Would we expect the same result as a product that was to reflect Jan's unique engineering skills if she did? It is absurd in my opinion. And the JH-3A is a lot more complicated than the Stepdance.[/size]

[size=10pt]This leads to the next point. We have hundreds of threads on here comparing designs of portable amps, and those amps vary greatly in quality and sound signature - not just between manufacturers but also, to give the example of RSA, between models. The JH-3A has three amplifiers. Somehow it's just a given that the concept of active cross-overs is so important and revolutionary that the amplifiers don't even deserve discussion. I suggest that a DSP using the iBasso T3 amplifier circuitry and a DSP using the Pico Slim amplifier circuitry would be very different products. (And the T3 is still a better than average amp IMHO.) So who is this world-leading but unidentified amp manufacturer that is going to shatter the quality barrier with this new product? Or is active cross-overs all that matters? It doesn't make any sense.[/size]

[size=10pt]So when JH Audio keep saying that they will not release the JH-3A until it is perfect, I have been sitting here biting my lip and thinking: no, they're going to keep tweaking and tweaking until they think they have something that doesn't thoroughly embarrass them. That this is likely to be the same great product that they promised at Canjam is simply counter-intuitive. I spend my life helping foreign companies to do business in China. You can't just go to a Chinese manufacturer and say 'I want you to make a car that exceeds the performance and quality of the Mercedes E class' and expect that to pop out the other end. It is absurd.[/size]

[size=10pt]Anyway this is piling on and also thread crapping and I rarely indulge in these things. I'm outraged and because I like the people on here, I hope that I eat crow.[/size]

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #1,365 of 2,176
I mentioned this 10 pages or so ago and I will mention it once more only. I don't want to spam this thread with the same post over and over.

If you paid for this product with your credit card you have consumer rights protection and you DO have the ability to take your skin off the table. Regardless of whether JH are 'offering' a refund or not.

Purchases made with a credit card have protection called chargeback or protection under section 75 of the consumer credit act.

Google it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back