NEW information on JH-3a
Jul 15, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #1,322 of 2,176
I will probably ship it back once all the pre-orders clears.  Hopefully by than, they will have worked out kinks so I don't have to keep shipping it back.
Do you think they will give refunds now?  

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #1,323 of 2,176
My volume control is doing weird things.  It's fully charged mine you.  So before, there was moderate volume even when turned all the way down.
Now, right before the volume is all the way turned down, it distorts. 

I can confirm this one, too. Didn't have this issue on the first try, but this time, right between silence and the first notch of usable sound, there is a setting on the knob where the sound distorts. (Or maybe it starts and stops very rapidly... that probably counts as distortion.)

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #1,324 of 2,176
@sling5s, they sure don't want to give refunds at all. They "invested a lot in the earphones" and aren't apparently willing to refund anybody in full.

...Even though they absofreakinglutely should refund folks at this point if that's what they want, given the sequence of events.

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #1,325 of 2,176
Should be able to get a refund. It just depends how far you want to take it (threaten lawsuit). With their lack of communication, lack of a working product, and no consistency in their 'fixes' these are fast becoming false products. They are legally bound (unless they have a good lawyer watching their words) to provide the item you paid for. They've technically already breached that by removing some features without compensating the buyer for the loss.

This whole JH3A affair is a massive blow to their repution that could have simply been developed in house for a couple of years before beginning pre-orders. You can't build a prototype, show it off, and start taking consumers' money, especially when it's something that's never been mass produced before (by anyone). That's where investors come in, not customers. Investors take risks, customers never should.

Let's hope JH doesn't become the next Singlepower (still far from it).

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #1,326 of 2,176
Wow. Just read about Singlepower.  Even 6Moons put up a warning on Singlepower,,, "without delivering in a timely manner" ... hmm, perhaps not so far from it after all.

6Moons Link:  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/singlepower/mpx3.html

[size=x-small]Alert: It has since come to our attention that SinglePower and its proprietor have a poor track record for taking people's money without delivering in a timely manner or at all. This link to HeadFi details some of the evidence.[/size] 

HeadFi Link:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/344917/buyer-beware-please-read-before-buying-a-singlepower-amp

Someone said Jerry was out of the country. Is he back?  Did he go to China to pound on some coders??  

Who has statement of proof that JHA won't give full refunds? (other than their  May 17 note saying no more refunds... WAIT, May 17th? That's like two months ago! LOL!! How time flies with this product...)

JH3A Update

by JH Audio on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 7:00am

Hi Guys!

We have started to receive the amps.  We received a small batch last Friday that we have begun testing and tuning.   We should be receiving another batch this Friday or early next week, depending on how the tuning goes.  Hopefully this second batch will contain all or close to all of the pre-orders.

Please note that we will no longer be offering cancellations or refunds on the JH3A.

Thanks for your patience - we're almost there!

-Your friends at JHAudio

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #1,327 of 2,176
man, not a day goes by without this people bashing JH Audio on this thread.  It's getting to be a really tiring read.

I'm thinking of posting some very favorable and detailed impressions from my couple days of owning it, but I fear the backlash of me saying something positive about this product...

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #1,328 of 2,176
@ inthecity

It's still far from it because currently it only involves one product. As far as I know all other customs are being processed in the normal time frame. If all of their products were being delayed like the JH3A, then you'd be much closer to a Singlepower situation.

@monsieurguzel

There's not many people hating on the product (or at least the intended product). People have waited over a year for this acting as investors, seeing features get dropped and flaws (mostly major ones) crop up once shipment has begun. It's reaching to call it bashing when people aren't getting what they paid for. The people bashing reviewers are certainly out of line, however. People like Warp who have posted positive remarks shouldn't be demonized for liking a product they feel is a good buy. I think a lot of that is spilled over rage at the treatment from the company, but that is still a bad excuse.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #1,329 of 2,176
I can say that I too had a very pessimistic and already looked at the JH3a in a pretty negative way even when I received my unit.  What people come to hype and expect never ever materializes, so I kind of had a period of saying to myself 'why did I wait so long for this?"

Anyways, long story short, after being able to get a proper fit and getting my system set up right, it took me a good 30 minutes of listening to get my nerves calmed down regarding this product and the crazy story behind it.  Once I really got into the music and was actually to the point of listening for enjoyment and not for seeking flaws, I noticed how incredibly engaging of a setup this really is.  The fact that all I had was a USB connection to a laptop instead of my massive rack of really expensive (and heavy) equipment to listen to music really blew my mind!

Because there was so little to fiddle with and worry about in this setup, I managed to get entranced into the music, song after song.  When I finally took the iems out of my ears, I realized that 5 hours had passed in a blink of an eye and that I hadn't enjoyed listening to my catalogue of music this much in many years.  Having these in your ears really lets you be in your very own world and not worry about disturbing your wife or your nextdoor neightboor.

Sure, there's a tiny bit of hiss when no music is playing, but my $5 WA5 + HD800 combo had way more background noise that this and was nowhere near as enjoyable of a system to listen to than this is right now.  The moment you get into the music, all of my frustration melted away and I got to listen to a product that just about delivers what was promised.  Sure, it doesn't have 24/192, but then again there is pretty much zero worthwile content in that format...let alone people actually being able to notice the different with it.  Even playing everything in redbook format, I was not really dying to hear higher rez material.  Granted, I will eventually get a usb-spidf connection to see the difference, but I don't feel I'm missing much.

Alright, so you're probably asking yourself what the hell these actually sound like after all my yapping this whole time.  Well, I first of all wouldn't call this a very neutral system, even with the bass turned down.  The bass knob is really about extension of the lower octaves and empasizing them when required.  The knob never makes the system sound lean because the mids are always very present and have a pretty warm tone to them.  The treble is really excellent for an iem and while not as pronounced as something like the HD800, i feel that they extend more than the LCD-2 headphones.  The highs never really call themselves out, but when they are meant to be in the mix, you realize how extended the JH3a system can be.  This is very evident when listening to bluegrass music, which is very fast and really neads to nail the highs in order to sound anygood...both of which the JH3a excel at!! 

Soundstage is very much in your head and not airy like the HD800, but once you get accustomed to the sound, the imaging is extremely good with amazing seperation of vocals/instruments. I believe this can all be attributed to the amazing design that is the JH16. By effectively having 3 sound bores for bass/mid/hi along with active crossovers, no part of the spectrum ever gets drowned out by the other.  This allows both instruments and vocals to be upfront and present without ever smearing into one another or have one feel recessed.  You can really see that when Jerry released the JH16s a year ago, he had other plans for them...since they really feel designed to be run in this configuration.

Finally, and most importantly for me is the tonality of a setup, which usually kills most headphones for me.  I have a pair of Zu Soul Superfly speakers and Atma Sphere M60 amps which I believe nail most music with rythm and tone.  The JH3a also nails it on tonality and punch, which is no surprise considering Jerry Harvey's background and music tastes.  I do feel that if someone likes the tonality of the LCD-2, they would feel right at home with the JH3a.

All in all, this system is highly enjoyable.  There are obviously a few little things here and there of annoyance (which have been discussed in great length on this forum), but the pros so heavily outweight the cons that I think we have a definite winner in our hands.  After all these years of looking buying sealed headphones and being unhappy with their performance, I have finally found the ideal bedside rig that will keep me up late a night listening to my very extensive catalogue of music!  Plus, who would have thought that my most enjoyable music setup could have been the smallest, cheapest, and most convenient on to listen to!

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #1,330 of 2,176
I'm glad you are happy with your unit. I hope to be as happy with whatever high end customs I buy later this year.

I maintain the position of caution in the face of the 'be all end all' rig, however, since many people swore by the great performance from Mikhail's (Singlepower) amps and ended up with a lot of people losing money. It can never be good enough to warrant mistreatment and continual delays. I'm very close to boycotting JH and not even recommending them any longer because of this mess, but I've decided to wait a while longer. I don't want to be the person who's responsible for someone else losing big money or time either by recommending them or paying for their product, supporting their company to continue on, while they ignore their duty to serve the customer.

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #1,331 of 2,176
I don't think anyone is denying that this product has the potential to sound very good indeed. I think the thing that seems to be stomped on here is when anyone questions JH's business practices with this product. It has been a catalog of misinformation or most of the time no information. Product changes that are fundementaly different from what was promised and units coming out wthout the much anticipated black silence that was promised and with sensitive IEM's essential for full enjoyment.

Remember as well, this product in no way can be described as being rushed out before time to placate waiting purchasers, quite the opposite in fact which has been half the problem. Now units are out though folks are enjoying the sound it does seem, from what has been written so far that this unit was far from ready and it also seems that launching it when it was launched was one way of stopping a mass exodus of customers.

That, has nothing to do with the sound quality which JH is famous for. I for one am really happy some folks are finding this product to be great in terms of sound. Their patience and commitment to JH through all of this though warrants a product that was fully finished and absolutely spot on as a reward for their wait and financial commitment, sadly, that seems no to be so reading the evidence so far provided.

I hope jerry sorts this out, and I hope he and his company not only survive this and continue to make groundbreaking products. Making groundbreaking products and being a nice guy though does not give you carte Blanche or unlimited excuses!

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #1,332 of 2,176

Quote:
Anyways, long story short, after being able to get a proper fit and getting my system set up right....

*snip*

Thanks for your impressions, they were wonderful. 

now... just imagine, after all this... after all you've been through with this product, you Fiiiiinally have it just right, (or close enough), and a few days from now you start getting distortion in your volume knob, or your select button stops working, or some other issue crops up like it has for others on this thread..   I think a little A LOT of complaining would be quite justified.

I am pretty disturbed by the fact that after all this waiting, the closer I get to receiving my unit, the more distraught I am feeling.  Even with these truly amazing impressions, hearing people relate multiple issues with a product that costs this much and has no resale value is really unsettling.. not to mention that for me this is A LOOOOT of money.  I am a full time volunteer.. $1800 does NOT come easy for me and thats putting it lightly.   JH should really be riumbursing people to ship their faulty units back to them.  That is the very least they could do at this point. 

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #1,333 of 2,176

Quote:
Remember as well, this product in no way can be described as being rushed out before time to placate waiting purchasers,

I actually think that rushing this product is exactly the problem.  Their extremely poor communication lead to major customer backlash, which has lasted many months, which they incorrectly interpreted as impatience on our part right from the start.  They proceeded to stress themselves unnecessarily in the name of impatient customers while constantly reassuring us.. its coming soon.. one week away... we are going as fast as we can... while all of us yelled.. we are not impatient!! please take your time and get it right!!  we just want information!!.  Then when the product was finally produced, and they finally had a chance to redeem themselves by making sure their product was perfect, and just as they had promised it would be, and oh so worth the wait - they pushed it out the door as quickly as possible without taking a few weeks to do some quality checks or thorough evaluations and now .. well here we are

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #1,335 of 2,176
After meeting Jerry at CanJam in Chicago I found him to be super nice and knowledgeable person and i have owned both JH13's and JH16's and loved both. However I am very disappointed in the way the JH3A has been handled. I think he should just refund everyones money and say I'm done with this product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back