New iMod for the iPod 5G: A Red Wine Audio/ALO Collaboration
May 26, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #331 of 456
I just sent my 80g to Vinnie and he emailed me that I should have it in a couple of weeks. I'll give my impressions as soon as I have a little burn in time. By the way, Vinnie is super to work with!

May 26, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #332 of 456
All,

Careful listening tests of burned-in 4G vs 5G/5.5G iMods (playing identical WAV files, using Apple Firmware) has confirmed with me that the 5G/5.5G with ALO iMod Dock Cable is my favorite sounding unit. In order to try and keep it as fair as possible, I am also using an ALO cable with the 4G iMod (that uses the same wire and RCA plugs at the ALO iMod Dock cable).

Here are a few notes on my findings:

I have found that the 5.5G iMod (I have an 80GB here) offers slightly enhanced bass response. There is some added weight and "attack" to the bass, but the bass quality is still just as well-defined at the 4G.

I have also found that the midrange with the 5.5G iMod is a little bit more clear, and offers a tad more fullness (especially with vocals) that to me is a little more engaging than the 4G iMod.

The top-end on both units is very close... both detailed but never bright/etchy. Its all about tonal balance, and both the 4G and 5G/5.5G iMods offer this in spades!

It is important to note that although I do believe that the 5.5G iMod is superior sounding to the 4G iMod, the 5.5G does not crush the 4G by any means... in other words, the improvements are subtle (but easy enough to notice in a well-resolving system). Also, the 4G does not seem to offer any aspect to the sound that is superior to the 5G/5.5G.

I am getting ready to visit family for the weekend and will not be back until Monday, so for now this is all I have time to post. I apologize for the delay in posting, but I've been so busy modding 5.5G iPods and doing so many other RWA-related things... but these iMod are coming out great! I have a process in place to mod the 5.5G iPods, and am also using a new internal wire for all 5G/5.5G iMods (it is a special-made wire by Cardas and it is fantastic... thanks to Ken for getting it to me!).

Best regards,

Vinnie

May 26, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #333 of 456
Vinnie,
That did it! Just completed ordering it through Ken!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #335 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qsilver2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Vinnie,

Will the future 4G imod be also using that "special-made wire by Cardas" too? Since you did mentioned "it is fantastic".

Thanks

2nd that. And it is fantastic in which in which way?

May 26, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #336 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vinnie just give us a quick review on how they sound with real world portable equipment.

Thanks

I received my 5G iMod "test unit" (my imod) so I finally! began testing some of the cables I have been making for the new video iMod. So far I have listened to some Gold x Silver docks with a TTVJ Portable Millet amp, and all I can say about this new Video iMod is Holy S**T! I cannot wait for the user reviews. I was working with Cardas to acquire some special internal hook up wire for Vinnies work and I REALLY think that paid off in a huge way. The latitude and extension of sound coming out of this thing is just phenomenal. I am so happy with how this is developing and am so very excited about some of the additional goodies I have on the bench and back burner for the Video imod – stay tuned.

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
May 26, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #337 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my 5G iMod "test unit" (my imod) so I finally! began testing some of the cables I have been making for the new video iMod. So far I have listened to some Gold x Silver docks with a TTVJ Portable Millet amp, and all I can say about this new Video iMod is Holy S**T! I cannot wait for the user reviews. I was working with Cardas to acquire some special internal hook up wire for Vinnies work and I REALLY think that paid off in a huge way. The latitude and extension of sound coming out of this thing is just phenomenal. I am so happy with how this is developing and am so very excited about some of the additional goodies I have on the bench and back burner for the Video imod – stay tuned.

ken

If you can't get the plugs for a good price you can at least order the short iPod cable and use its plug. For 15$ you could add that into your cost with little impact until you get the straight plugs. At this level having the cable available for an extra 15 or so is much better than not having it. You could even have us purchase it and send it in like the iPod is sent in.

Edit: After reviewing what I wrote above, I wonder which thread I actually was looking at when I found myself here writing this nonsense. I think I had some Ultrasone thread open.

May 26, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #338 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ken

Ken I just ordered the 5.5 Imod from Vinnie. I'm about to purchase the Imod cables so I have a couple of questions: I'm leaning toward the $110 cable mainly due to price (I just paid $600 approx for the new Ipod + the Imod) but I wonder if there is a big/noticable difference comparing with the more expensive ones. If there is a big difference I will invest the extra $85 even though my wallet would be really really hurt but if there is aminimal diffrence I'll get the cheapest one.

May 26, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #339 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really excited for all of you who ordered the 5G/5.5G iMod to get your hands on them and post your impressions (especially those of you who have the 4G iMod)... you guys are in for a real treat, I promise you that!
cool.gif

Can't wait to get mine.

May 26, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #340 of 456
My only issue with the 5/5.5 version is that you can only get cables from one source. In reality this would not affect me because I buy my cables but for those who build their own they no longer will be able to do so.

May 26, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #341 of 456
i heard this is the place where people know there stuff on studio headphones. anyways im getting the new motif xs and right now im staying away from the monitors for right now. well right now all i want is a damn good sounding headphones. and since im gonna use the motif xs with it is that ok to do. cause the headphones im researching on are the akg 701, the beyerdynamic 770, beyerdynamic 880, the ultrasone hfi 700 and the ultrasone proline 2500. im reading amp this and amps that to really make em sound good. since im pluging the headphones in motif xs keyboard do i need an headphone amp to push out power? oh yeah and the type of headphone im looking for is one that sounds quick,detailed, sounds very realistick and accurate with detailed bass and highs. but not too high to a point were its too loud and it hurts my ears. for example the sony mdrs studio headphones i hate them with a passion they are a pain in my ears!!! please help me peoples!

May 27, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #342 of 456
Wrong forum in the middle of a thread that is unrelated to your question.
Please create a new thread in the "Headphones" forum and I will move this one there.

YGPM.

May 27, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #344 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is a better sq file wav or flac?

Guys, we're getting off topic like immtbiker said.

WAV and FLAC do not sound any different; if they do, you are using a flawed codec/converter somewhere. They are simply different ways to "store" the data.

May 27, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #345 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only issue with the 5/5.5 version is that you can only get cables from one source. In reality this would not affect me because I buy my cables but for those who build their own they no longer will be able to do so.

Sorry about that I know its kind of proprietary but there should be some reward for hard work and clever ideas. Moreover, I would like to stay in business; these kinds of things allow me to stay afloat. I am sure people who want to make their own stuff can still do so for just about any other device and player.

kb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back