New iMod for the iPod 5G: A Red Wine Audio/ALO Collaboration
May 21, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #287 of 456
Thats awesome about Rockbox. I'm itching for a 120GB rockboxed imod. Just need one report that it works and a cable to let me listen through LOD with AC power and I'm there!

Most of the time I will be using the Xin SMIV so I will get the mini - mini cable and when I want to use RCA's I will just go through the Xin first, then use a mini-RCA cable from the Xin. Not ideal but saves buying a 5 foot imod enabled LOD - RCA, which wouldn't be cheap!

May 21, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #288 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vinnie,
Have you heard anything about the iTank iMod cases?

Hi Nick,

I am still waiting to hear pricing info for the iMod iTank cases. I'm not sure if I am going to go forward with custom iMod iTank cases, but they are definitely going forward with 4G iTank cases (which can be used for the 4th gen iMods and they will be available in black or aluminum finish) and the 5G iTanks are already available.

YoungClayB... thanks for posting your response from YoTank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vinnie how is the 5g sounding now? Inquiring mind need to know.

Thanks

Hi cpk,

It is sounding incredibly good! I'll be doing some more A/B later tonight with the 4G/5G iMod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so the headphone out of the 5G imod is preserved. what happens when i adjust the volume through the headphon out? and what happens if i use the ALO imod cable? will i be able to adjust the volume through the ipod if the dock is attached?

Hi Aluren,

Yes, the headphone out of the 5G iMod is preserved and NOT modded... it is completely independent of the actual iMod, which now exits from the dock connector. When you adjust the volume of the headphone output, it has NO influence on the modded line out. The modded line out is a line out, so you will NOT be able to adjust the volume.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will it be made for the 4th Gen imod too?

Will you consider 1 Gen Nano since you did 1 before?

This is a nice idea. One will need it during burn in period.

Hi Theory_87,

Yes, the same iMod tags can be also applied to the 4th gen iMods.

I will consider modding both 1st and 2nd gen Nanos, but I will not have time to look into this until after the 5G/5.5G iMods are moving along, as these are priority for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if this has been asked before, but-

Will Vinnie be considering to also put the line-out at the dock for the 4g iPods? It would be great to be able to preserve the headphone out, so that the DAP may be used unamped when necessary (like the 5g iMod).

Hi vYu223,

I have not decided for sure, but I am probably won't offer this option with the 4th gen iMods. This will only apply to the 5th gen iMod.

Best regards,

Vinnie

May 21, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #289 of 456
Just checked out the ALO page on the new imods 'n the new cables. Oh man, talk about BLING-TO-THE-MAX:
"LIMITED EDITION Gold x Silver Silk Imod Dock. Pure Gold conductors with a heavy pure silver ground all in a pure silk dielectric terminated to a Gold Switchcraft mini plug. The sound of this cable is suburb all in a small footprint. I will only make a hand full of these Gold x Silver Silk iMod docks"

May 21, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #291 of 456
It is inferior...but it probably has a different sonic signature/qualities.

May 21, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #292 of 456
Ken's sending us a sampler platter of mini's for our meet this weekend...he's including a Gold X Silver. I'm planning on listening to all of them on Friday and I'll post my findings.
icon10.gif

May 21, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #293 of 456
cool, give us some impressions!

btw, is anybody getting the 5G iMod? i've already bought a 5G 80gb on ebay....

May 21, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #294 of 456
Hi Vinnie, I am looking forward to your A/B of 4g/5g. Will you be doing your testing using portable equipment along with your high end equip? It will be interesting to see how the 5g compares to the 4g with a basic portable rig.

Thanks

May 21, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #295 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool, give us some impressions!

btw, is anybody getting the 5G iMod? i've already bought a 5G 80gb on ebay....

I'm going to do a big write up on the mini's.
I'm considering buying a 5G iMod...but I have to part with my 4G iMod in order to do so.
I'm thinking of selling my 4G iMod as a package with one of the Xin amps I just bought.
cool.gif

May 21, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #298 of 456
aluren wrote:
Quote:

hmm... i thought gold was an inferior conductor to silver or copper....

I owned an ALO Gold Dock (one of its kind). I prefered the Silk Dock but found it better then the Six Shooter.
So yes, I believe it has its own sonic signature.

May 21, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #300 of 456
Ok a rather stupid question. But roughly how many albums can an 80GB iMod hold in FLAC? (what is the average track size for flac? lame vbr q2 is about 5-6mb)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back