New IEM advice please
Sep 10, 2010 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dimmockg

500+ Head-Fier

I have an ipod touch and want to replace the bundled offerings.

I've trawled through the threads (for quite some time) and done a fair bit of researching etc.

My budget is £60 - see further down

I have/am considered the following:

Ultimate Ears Superfi 5' @ £35
Ultimate Ears Metrofi 220 @ £18 (play.com)
A-Jays (2's i think) @ £30

I can also lay my hands on some Shure SE 110's for around £25 - would this be a better option than the above?

I've also looked at brainwavz and visang etc - but would prefer to buy in the uk and pay by paypal (have a balance)

any help appreciated

cheers

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 11
i was going to suggest the brainwavz.
I heard the M1 and was quite impressed.
you can pay by paypal at mp4nation and their shipping is FREE
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 11
slightly revised budget, at a push could go to £48 (odd amount but its what i have in paypal)

looking at fischer audio eterna's as well as audio technica athckm55 - which appeal a lot, but not much info on these 

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 11
small update....

i've ordered the xears td100 from their site at the 15 euro price.

not convinced i'll get on with these or the cable/cord etc.

i am on the lookout for "reserves" just in case the xears don't work out.

music is a mixture through an ipod touch 2g, with no added amplification.

budget - anything up to £60 i reckon, however i have a liking for the Audeo Phonal pfe 012 as well as the Beyerdynamic DTX80

i also keep looking at the ultimate ears super.fi 5 which i can pick up for a snip over £30

or possibly the audio technica ath-ck7 which i can purchase for around £63

if i were to pull the trigger on a 2nd pair i would need to do it sooner than later as the 2nd two IEMS are on a limited offer.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 11
any help please?

choices down to:

super fi 5
ath ck7 or ath ckm55
dtx80
phonak 012
klipsch s4

looking for a decent sound, crisp and clear with decent details - something that will present nicely but not distort or destroy!

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 11
anybody at all?

particulalry interested in the following: (Narrowed list down)

Superfi 5
ath ck7 or ckm 55
beyerdynamic dtx 80

budget certainly not more than £60

anybody had the joy of comparing these or have direct experience??

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 11
It's been about 18months since I listened to the super.fi 5's (I presume you mean the v2 ones that are £38 on amazon atm, not the pro's). I remember being quite impressed with the sound although unimpressed with the price they carried (About £90 iirc). At £30 they are undoubtedly worth a shot. I will probably end up buying a pair if the prices stay around £30 for much longer. I haven't heard the AT's. At £60 I also think the dtx80's are a good buy. I did a bit of an impressions write up here if you're interested http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/477069/the-beyerdynamic-dtx60-dtx80-dtx100-a-few-impressions There isn't much else written about them on head-fi though.

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 11
thanks for that i'll certainly read up on the dtx's - there's not much info anywhere on these on the net, i've found the odd review and what hifi give them 5 stars (not that i'd be swung completely by their views)

you are correct about the superfi's the ones on amazon as well as being circa £35 on dabs at the moment as well - which i can get some cash-back through work (not much but it helps i guess)

pretty much narrowed down to the above

thanks for the link

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 11

xears td100's arrived this morning, so far i'm very impressed.

right out of the packet they sounded far superior to the regular apple buds i was using. Much more detail, clarity and quality all round. Build quality also seems fine at the moment - howevr i have been very careful with them

Going to have a play around with the various tips and allow them to get going properly before deciding on whether they stay or go!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back