New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster"
Apr 16, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #481 of 584
@ph0n6 - 

Thanks much for the thought, but this is for input to the D14. Also - the Denon player has fiber (optical) out, but no provision for COAX. 
Thanks for the try, tho! 
cool.gif

Cool Avatar!

Cheers,
PuterPro

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #482 of 584
Oh I meant Coaxial (and optical) input to the D14. Mine works fine (from the Massfidelity Relay DAC to D14 Lineout to Speaker). I'm guessing that the D14 doesn't have optical input then. Some of their old DAC actually got optical input, so this is a bummer I guess. Questionably though the Amazon product page does state that it has optical input though. I suggest PM Paul for this one, he's Ibasso representative here, and I could vouch for his enthusiasm :)

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #483 of 584
Well, the Owners manual shows one, and the device SAYS "SPDIF IN" next to the jack ...

That Massfidelity Relay looks like a nice DAC. I'll have to check it out.

My Wife is currently hogging my D14 running from my Samsung Note 4 (running Hiby Music Player) -> D14 -> Yamaha RX-A3020 -> Pinnacle Studio 100's and Cambridge Soundworks 15" Sub.
Sounds great, too bad I'm in my office and it's just background. Damn thief. 
wink.gif

Looks like I'll need a DAC just dedicated to my main AV system. {Sigh} More $$. Always more $$. Expensive hobby. LOL

PuterPro

Apr 16, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #484 of 584
D14 definitely has optical input as I've hooked mine up to the optical out of a Chromecast audio and it works fine. I haven't tried it with co-ax but presumably they are the same input.

Apr 16, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #485 of 584
Hey west0ne - Could you be so kind as to check yours - does the optical cable show a red light out the other end when you hook it to the D14's input and switch to SPDIF on the input switch?

I get a light FROM the Denon (which works fine into my Yamaha) but even with the mini TOSLINK plugged fully into the optical input and the switch on SPDIF I get NO light from the iBasso.

I'd use COAX (I'd have to cobble up a cable, but that's a no biggie for me I have all the stuff) but there is no COAX out of the Denon SACD /DVD.

Besides, I still would want to check the SPDIF, it should work.

Thanks a bunch!
PutePro

Apr 16, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #486 of 584
@PuterPro - no red light from the iBasso port but I'm pretty sure that is to be expected as I'm sure it's optical-in only and not optical-out. I tend to only use it with my Android phone or Linux, there are no options within Alsamixer on Linux to establish an optical-out which would confirm that it isn't a feature. I've not used it with co-ax but assume that is also input only.

From what I can see the only outputs from the iBasso are phones and line out.

Apr 17, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #487 of 584

I get a light FROM the Denon (which works fine into my Yamaha) but even with the mini TOSLINK plugged fully into the optical input and the switch on SPDIF I get NO light from the iBasso.

I'd use COAX (I'd have to cobble up a cable, but that's a no biggie for me I have all the stuff) but there is no COAX out of the Denon SACD /DVD.

Besides, I still would want to check the SPDIF, it should work.

Hi PutePro,

The D14 in SPDIF mode never has a light except for the blue power at the front.

I use a Fiio L16 to connect from the COAX OUT of the iBasso DX50 into the SPDIF IN of the iBasso D14 because it is more shielded than the stock provided 3.5mm terminated SPDIF Cable.

A coax to 3.5mm cable came with the DX50 ; maybe you might find one for the Denon DVD Player?

Apr 17, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #488 of 584
Thanks guys!

Yeah, I forgot an optical input doesn't show a light. Duh. {Smacks head...}

Everyone keeps trying to get me to go COAX, but I CAN'T.
The Denon only supports optical. This is an SACD / DVD PLAYER, not a RECEIVER... I do have a converter, but I'd rather keep the jitter and complexity to a minimum.
I could also route it through my Yamaha which will convert it to COAX, but same thing... Besides, the port should work, if not the device is defective..

I'd prefer COAX too,  although I'd have to make up a 3.5mm to RCA since I don't have one handy. I've got some silver solder and a special small 75 ohm cable that would be perfect.
I'm make one up, Ill probably use it at some point.

I'll try again today on the optical in with another source. Maybe it's something dumb like a setting in the Denon's menu, but I doubt it since I use the optical port regularly to my Yamaha receiver and it works fine.

Thanks for the help! Any other ideas welcome!!

BTW - Stupid thread hi-jack by the OP ... Anyone know why suddenly my right click (which I use regularly for spell check since I'm a horrible typist) suddenly only offers me PASTE in the Editor? Very odd
Running Chrome, Win8.1. Think I'll restart the browser and OS ... Although the problem is only when I'm in the Editor, works fine elsewhere.
Just wanted to ask, never saw that before. Weird.

~EDIT~ Never mind! Found it! Search is a wonderful thing... 
biggrin.gif
 Seems if you hit MORE on the right you get extra edit tools, but it screws up Right Click.
Either just hit Less, or hold the CTRL key (PC) (Options on Mac??) while Right Clicking to access the normal functions!.
Being a Tech I always feel like I'm running in mud, not matter how hard you try, you can't learn it all. Just like trying to swallow the ocean! LOL!

PuterPro

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #489 of 584
EUREKA!

What an idiot! (Me...) 
frown.gif

I HATE when I have to re-learn stuff. I want the mega-brain upgrade. Badly.

Sadly, I'll have to make do with the defective one I have.

My first mistake was posting in the wrong Forum. If I had posted in the one that discusses SACD they would have jumped my bones instantly.

IT'S A DRM PROBLEM, not an iBasso D14 problem. It was the output of the Denon SACD player. SACD's have two layers, Hi-Rez and standard CD (44KHz).
The lawyers got them to prevent SPDIF (either optical or COAX) output above 44KHz, to prevent bit perfect copies. It WILL output the CD layer optically.

The only way it outputs SACD or DVD Audio is over the ANALOG 5.1 channel jacks, you can't DO optical above 44KHz!! {Smacks Face}

Now, the optical input of my D14 does work. BUT it does NOT light the Link LED when connected Optical, so I got no indication even when it WAS working.

Do you guys have that too?

Thanks again all, if one of you could check their Link LED when Optical, I'd appreciate it.

PuterPro

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #490 of 584
The Link light only illuminates when connected to USB, doesn't come on with Line-In or Optical-In. Only way to know it's working is through headphones or line-out.

DSD won't work over optical/coax due to DRM but I'm sure 24/192 hi-res works over optical/coax.

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #491 of 584
No doubt, but NOT from this Denon, I did the {~GASP~} unthinkable and RTFM! LOL
Anything above 44K is down-sampled out the digital ports. Hi-Rez only out analog. Jerks.

I've also got a more modern Panasonic Blu-Ray for the DVD audio, but it doesn't do SACD. That's fine, I really haven't got that many SACD's anyway, the important ones I'll just DL from a Hi-Rez site.

Been trying to talk my Wife into an Oppo for some time, but she's reluctant. Always have to deal with "WAF".
I've learned to pick my battles, and their timing. Probably have to wait until it's a 4K unit, and that will require upgrading my $4000 Projector and my Receiver as well.

I never ends. 
wink.gif

Thanks for the tip on the Link LED. The D14 manual is a touch sparse. Sounds like I've got a perfect unit so far. Still gotta check the COAX, but at least I'm gaining on it all!

PuterPro

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #493 of 584
Maybe you could try coaxial instead? Coaxial works fine for me but I'm not even sure if the D14 have optical output.

The D14 does accept optical inputs via the spdif jack if "Optical" is selected with the switch. Always try a different cable "just in case"

EDIT: Sorry guys...I see the issue has already been solved!

Apr 18, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #494 of 584

Yeah, it's that OK!. THAT was funny!
The D14 does accept optical inputs via the spdif jack if "Optical" is selected with the switch. Always try a different cable "just in case"

EDIT: Sorry guys...I see the issue has already been solved!

Now you sound like me - always late to the party. Particularly if it's my own! 
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the try, tho' +10 points for effort. 
L3000.gif

PuterPro

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #495 of 584
Would using the d14 as a dac for the schiit lyr 2 be an acceptable pairing until I could get a better dac?

I plan on getting a lyr 2 as my first "expensive" amp, but I'll have to hold off on getting something like the bifrost as a dac.  I'd like to use the d14 as a temporary dac with the lyr until I can get a bifrost.  Do you guys think this is a good idea or is plugging a portable dac into a big expensive amp a newbie no-no?  Or should I be asking this in the lyr 2 thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back