New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster"
Apr 20, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #496 of 584
Take it with a grain of salt but my friend told me the bifrost isn't that much better than the modi 2, which is about the same league of Odac and this D14. I tried the Modi 2 (from my friend) Odac (currently using) and D14 (planning to sell) and DAC wise I can say that they are not that different from each other, and if there's any it's not that noticeable.

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #497 of 584
Would using the d14 as a dac for the schiit lyr 2 be an acceptable pairing until I could get a better dac?

I plan on getting a lyr 2 as my first "expensive" amp, but I'll have to hold off on getting something like the bifrost as a dac.  I'd like to use the d14 as a temporary dac with the lyr until I can get a bifrost.  Do you guys think this is a good idea or is plugging a portable dac into a big expensive amp a newbie no-no?  Or should I be asking this in the lyr 2 thread?

I've just picked up a Vali 2 and was thinking of buying a Modi 2 to go with it so tried one my friend has, I won't say it sounds the same as the iBasso D14 but I also couldn't say it sounded 'better' enough to warrant buying the Modi 2. What I suppose I'm saying is that feeding the Vali 2 from the D14 line out produced a pretty good result (to my ears in any case). A lot would of course depend on which DAC you were looking to get.

I'm fairly new to all of this and really just like listening to music rather than buying equipment for the sake of it, I don't doubt that the better the DAC the better the end result from the amp but if you hook up the D14 and are happy with what it gives you why rush into buying. For now hook it up to the line-out and enjoy.

May 11, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #499 of 584
Hi!

Newbie question. Just got the xDuoo X3 to replace my Sansa Clip Zip+ as my OTG DAP. Just want to ask if this iBasso Bushmaster D14 is good enough to be used as amp? Anyone using it? I'll be using if ever the iBasso Bushmaster D14 also for my laptop when I'm home.

My IEM is RHA MA750i and planning to buy Philips Fidelio X2.

Thanks in advance!

May 11, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #500 of 584
IMO it's a bit too big for portable use. The X3 should be good enough to not even need an amp. Could always look into a FiiO Q1 or E18, they are truly portable DAC and Amp

May 11, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #501 of 584
Hi!

Newbie question. Just got the xDuoo X3 to replace my Sansa Clip Zip+ as my OTG DAP. Just want to ask if this iBasso Bushmaster D14 is good enough to be used as amp? Anyone using it? I'll be using if ever the iBasso Bushmaster D14 also for my laptop when I'm home.

Thanks in advance!

I had both the X3 and the d14. IMO the D14 is a very good amp for its price

May 11, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #502 of 584
Hi!

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I currently use Fidelio X2 and RHA T20 at home through the D14, connected through coaxial out of the FiiO X3. The sound is greatly improved when using it as dac amp, and clearly bests the X3 headphone out.

And in my experience the D14 sounds best when used as dac/amp, as compared to an amp only.

Also, the Xduoo X3 can easily drive both the Fidelio X2, and Ma750, so I suggest you give the D14 a trial before purchase if you can.

Cheers

May 12, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #503 of 584
IMO it's a bit too big for portable use. The X3 should be good enough to not even need an amp. Could always look into a FiiO Q1 or E18, they are truly portable DAC and Amp

Hi!

Thanks but sadly won't even hear a difference compared to my Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip+ so I'll check this weekend how it compares with a portable amp.
I won't be using the iBasso Bushmaster D14 for OTG but will be using it on my home.

For portable amplifier, I'm looking between Fiio E12A, Cayin C5 or Aune B1.
Please advise if I'm too off-topic.

Quote:
I had both the X3 and the d14. IMO the D14 is a very good amp for its price

This is good to know, will be checking it as well this weekend and will be trying it with between Fiio E12A, Cayin C5 or Aune B1 as well.

Hello,

I currently use Fidelio X2 and RHA T20 at home through the D14, connected through coaxial out of the FiiO X3. The sound is greatly improved when using it as dac amp, and clearly bests the X3 headphone out.

And in my experience the D14 sounds best when used as dac/amp, as compared to an amp only.

Also, the Xduoo X3 can easily drive both the Fidelio X2, and Ma750, so I suggest you give the D14 a trial before purchase if you can.

Cheers

Thanks also! Is it safe to say that we have a same sound preference? :) Wide soundstage, bright, thick bass, etc.
Will try this weekend hopefully there's an improvement on my ear.
I'm really into this hobby but my ear is not cooperating. lol Which is good in a way but I have try it first together with the following portable amps between Fiio E12A, Cayin C5 or Aune B1.

May 15, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #506 of 584
Can I use a portable amp on iBasso Bushmaster D14?

Sure, I actually find connecting my iPhone 6 to the D14 using the otg camera connector to USB connection , the Line out from the D-4 to the Fiio E12A sounds amazing.. Clean thick sound.. For me, it maintains all the details, soundstage and adds the creamy smoothness one expects from the E12a...

May 15, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #507 of 584
  Can I use a portable amp on iBasso Bushmaster D14?

The D14 has a line-in so you can use it as an amp-only device it also has a line-out to send the DAC audio to an external amp. I think the amp section is good at this price level and certainly seems to have plenty of power for a battery powered portable DAC/Amp device. Your portable setup could get quite bulky if you have a transport, the D14 as a DAC and then an amp. I do however use my D14 with my Vali 2 amp and find it to be a good setup.

May 15, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #508 of 584
Thanks for the replies!

Planning to get this one for my laptop (Asus N56VZ)/mobile devices (Sony Xperia Z2).
Already tried this yesterday but can't hear a difference yet. :frowning2: Will be getting a Phillips Fidelio X2 however saw a lot of comment while is it necessary to use an amp however could be needing one for it to maximize it's potential.
The amp I'm planning to get in the future is Aune B1.
But then, have to see if I really need those (iBasso Bushmaster D14 and Aune B1).
My DAP (DAC/AMP) is xDuoo X3 as OTG, not planning to use iBasso Bushmaster D14 for OTG.

Thanks for your insight!

May 18, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #510 of 584
  Thanks for the replies!

Planning to get this one for my laptop (Asus N56VZ)/mobile devices (Sony Xperia Z2).
Already tried this yesterday but can't hear a difference yet. :frowning2: Will be getting a Phillips Fidelio X2 however saw a lot of comment while is it necessary to use an amp however could be needing one for it to maximize it's potential.
The amp I'm planning to get in the future is Aune B1.
But then, have to see if I really need those (iBasso Bushmaster D14 and Aune B1).
My DAP (DAC/AMP) is xDuoo X3 as OTG, not planning to use iBasso Bushmaster D14 for OTG.

Thanks for your insight!

You dont need an extra amp to power the fidelio x2 with the bushmaster. Even the bushmaster's baby brother the d-zero mk2 is powerful enough for the x2. The bushmaster has 4x the power of the z-zero mk2. 
wink_face.gif

Be sure to use the bushmaster as a dac/amp and not as an amp only when connected to your laptop or phone to achieve the best results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back