After 5 months of messing with this fine little amp,
Three op amps
Four sets of valves,
I am now using an A2107 op and Mullard EF92
cv4015/m8161 valves.
Talk about smooth, trebles tamed ,

and i nearly have a soundstage
smily_headphones1.gif

Amp and phones are now staying.phew,at last.

I concur - the Mullard EF92/BB OPA2107 combo has great synergy that adds more definition and separation compared to the stock combo. It works VERY well, especially with classical music, albeit being a bit on the 'solid state' side of things. Actually I got completely another LD I+ with more 'expensive' sound for just $18 - for both op-amp and NOS tubes incl. shipping!

BUT - and this is a big BUT - recently I reversed LD I+ to the stock op-amp and added Russian 6ZH1P-EV military-spec tubes. These babies didn't like 2107 (too unbalanced sound) thus I decided to reverse the op-amp. And got another side of sonic heaven - it's completely different beast now, LD became more 'tubey', 'buttery' but it works EXTREMELY well and funny (esp. considering bass) with rock and not bad with classics.

Moreover - MC33078P has less tendency to sibilance with MOST not too well recorded vocals than 2107. And, I suppose, it has better overall compatibility/synergy with all 3 families of tubes. Now I think that David and Co. have chosen this op-amp not only for its paper specs and low price but they really did thoroughly use their ears during tuning.
wink.gif
33078 has lower slew-rate compared to 2107 (thus lesser transient response, i.e. less 'quick' sound) but it has very organic sound signature, full-bodied, with nice decay. Great and overlooked op-amp, IMO.

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #542 of 805
BTW, in another LD I+ thread LT1364 was considered too dangerous because of its high DC offset - it can 'cook' your headphones, so LM4562 (same as LME49720) and OPA2107 are more safe options.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #543 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by bronth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, in another LD I+ thread LT1364 was considered too dangerous because of its high DC offset - it can 'cook' your headphones, so LM4562 (same as LME49720) and OPA2107 are more safe options.

wow

and I kept hearing nice things about the LT1364

frown.gif

Anyway, I want to buy a little dot I+. Is there an all in one package that has the right tubes and opamps?

or

Should I buy it bare bones in the auction and buy those upgrades from another retailer (which I'm guessing you guys have a link for)?

and

Has anyone used this with a pair of Grado 125s?

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #545 of 805
It's a shame since this is a great amp. Using it with my Grados right now, giving the Senns a break.

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #546 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka24altima /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a shame since this is a great amp. Using it with my Grados right now, giving the Senns a break.

I'm going to purchase the bare bones LD I+.

I'll worry about the upgrades later (opamps, tubes, etc.)

I think it'll be great for my Grado's.

Perhaps in the future I'll splurge and get a set of Denon d2000s as well.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #547 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to purchase the bare bones LD I+.

I'll worry about the upgrades later (opamps, tubes, etc.)

I think it'll be great for my Grado's.

Perhaps in the future I'll splurge and get a set of Denon d2000s as well.

Grados sound great. The bare bones is a good idea. The tubes are not too expensive. I'm using the LT1364 and have had no probs whatsoever.

Three families of tubes with a simple switch.

My favorite- EF91 & EF92...

Enjoy

EDIT: Hey roker, don't you have the EF2?

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #550 of 805
Quote:

I got the 6AK5W with the stock op-amp and love them.

Anyone try them with the SR840?

I might just let go of my dream of buying some D2000s and go for the new kid on the block. The 840s have an impedance of 44 Ohms.

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #551 of 805
Quote:

I got the 6AK5W with the stock op-amp and love them.

I got these tubes when I first got the I+...will dig 'em out and try them
biggrin.gif
I recall that they were the Sylvania round getter and black plate and were superb with the ESW9's...will try them with the HF2's

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #552 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got these tubes when I first got the I+...will dig 'em out and try them
biggrin.gif
I recall that they were the Sylvania round getter and black plate and were superb with the ESW9's...will try them with the HF2's

Enquiring minds want to know what is the verdict (6AK5W + HF-2), Tako?

d.

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #553 of 805
I just got mine at first the bass distorted very slighlty but I cleaned the tubes with some deoxit and now it sounds really good, Im really enjoying the detail and presentation of the sound

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #554 of 805
I am considering this, which would be my first tube amp (first amp at all, actually) for my Grado sr-225is which are on the way. I have a Xonar D2 sound card, and for various reasons I'd like to continue using its analog output instead of a separate DAC, at least for a while.

Would this amp work well with it? My concern is that the outputs aren't really line-level, as they seem to drive my Senn 555s okay now. Is this dual amping, and is it a problem that would make this amp not really worth it? Or, does anyone know of a way to bypass the amps on the Xonar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back