New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Feb 12, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #511 of 805
^^^I gave it 2 hours before I changed the op amp (fyi)and another hr to listen to the new one
Im glad your still curious about the amp though with the Grados. Its all uphill from here for me and so far so good. Ive heard those GB 408a sound fantastic. I might try to do line out from my pc toslink>receiver line out and see what happens. Im not sure about the placebo effect but Im looking forward to trying it out again tonight changing my source. and again Im totally surprised that an opamp change would totally improve the sq.Ive read about it initially (bottleneck) but I was kinda skeptical.

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #512 of 805
Haha I should be curious, shouldn't I? I bought it a few days ago and will be receiving it soon. I have read A LOT about tubes and their "warmer" sound, and for its price it is a winner. I will be able to try tubes for a small price tag, and will be able to listen to triodes, tetrodes, pentodes, etc...

I hope i like the tube "sound" (or hybrid "sound" better)

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #513 of 805
^^^as of now I canNOT conclude anything at all with this amp. lets leave it at that. There are a couple more things I have to do. too bad newark doesnt deliver to eu(lt cn8s). I tried my best to hold back from saying how bad it initially was (avoiding to describe nuances in the music=I would fail miserably) and I think I did a good job >but true enough 3-4hrs of testing from 1 source can easily be deemed inconclusive (actually I connected my mini ipod via 1/8>rca and was not impressed)

-hoping too much can cause disaster (Im just saying.)

Feb 13, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #514 of 805
I think I noticed more of a difference when swapping tubes. With the matched-pair of VOSHOD 6ZH1P tubes I received from Yen Audio, I perceived more clarity in the lower end of the frequency range, better high frequency extension, and more natural sounding female vocals. Adding the LT1364 seemed to present a more subtle change, perhaps adding a bit of depth to the soundstage with certain source material. Replacing a $1 opamp with an $8 one with better specs can't be a bad idea though.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #515 of 805
I've read this thread and the associated tube rolling thread. I understand that some people have encountered balance problem with this amplifier, especially at low volume. I also understand that it could be related to the average quality pot and/or tube problems. Now that this amplifier is out for a while, it would be fine if some I+ owners would like to comment about it. Thanks,

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #516 of 805
Strange,
i can't c the photos in #1...

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #517 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand that some people have encountered balance problem with this amplifier, especially at low volume.

I always listen with the pot at 9-12 o'clock. Lower volumes are too ... low.
No imbalance i can notice.

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #518 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read this thread and the associated tube rolling thread. I understand that some people have encountered balance problem with this amplifier, especially at low volume. I also understand that it could be related to the average quality pot and/or tube problems. Now that this amplifier is out for a while, it would be fine if some I+ owners would like to comment about it. Thanks,

It's not uncommon to get tubes that are grossly mismatched if you get them from amateur sellers on ebay who don't test the items they sell. In my opinion considering how important the quality of your tubes are to the performance of the amp it's just not worth the gamble listening to poor quality tubes, I know I have had bad experiences with tubes that are completely unbalanced that destroy the soundstage presentation of the music.

- DoA

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #520 of 805
BUMP

Does anyone know how well this amp could drive a K601? I was considering buying one of those after I get one of these amps, but I'd like to have an amp that could drive my Grados and an AKG well.

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #523 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know how well this amp could drive a K601? I was considering buying one of those after I get one of these amps, but I'd like to have an amp that could drive my Grados and an AKG well.

I'm also wondering this

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #524 of 805
I not an owner yet, but will recive my dot in next week.
I have a piar of K601, but I dont have a clue of how to measure the setup. But, looking at the numbers of the hp and the amp, Ide say, yes, it works.

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #525 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by lazpete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I not an owner yet, but will recive my dot in next week.
I have a piar of K601, but I dont have a clue of how to measure the setup. But, looking at the numbers of the hp and the amp, Ide say, yes, it works.

Well when you receive it, I am very interested on how they sound together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back