New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Feb 11, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #496 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is good for up to 600 Ohms.

Well, not quite I think. I tried to different pairs of 80's Beyerdynamic DT990 with 600 Ohm resistance and both pairs sounded crappy. The LDI+ just couldn't drive them. Not that I expected them to, but I wanted to try anyway.

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #498 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sw33t.Shuga.Ray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there a pdf manual I can download for this?
just got mine and want to be extra prepared+cautious with it.

tnx in adv

Wait for David's reply. he will send you one. If he does not ask him for one.

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #500 of 805
Quote:

^^^tnx I will email him...

Question!
Im about to change the op amp to lt1364...I just turned it off how long do I wait?
should I unplug the tubes before doing so?
is it just the 4 screws in the bottom?

tnx

Fun, isn't it?

The manual says wait 5-10 minutes to make sure all the charge drains from the unit and you don't get a shock. Easiest to take the tubes out first, the flip her over and yeah, the 4 screws on the bottom.

You're probably done by now?

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #501 of 805
^^^lol..no Ill give it an hour...Im not a fan of electric shock
thanks...got the opamps and the amp itself today...Ill update you if I dont get electrocuted

btw...I emailed them and they responed in 3 mins emailed me a pdf manual..wow that was EZ

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #504 of 805
^^^thanks I actually figured it out
confused_face.gif
>>>lol
ok heres what happened
with my sr80s (listening to Getiton by Powerstation)
the difference? HUMONGOUS!!!! and Im using stock tubes. I initially fired it up and attached it to my dvd player. there was a negligible electrical hum (left channel only)which faded away after 30mins but was still there (audible at 0 gain). the SQ was totally mud for me (in a nutshell)at this point (being a noob and all)told myself that my portable Headsix sound miles better than this- now Im listening with the new opamp and wow...its much much much better.
will be buying some gb 408a pretty soon. oh and btw..after changing the opamp the hum disappeared totally(?????)

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #505 of 805
Quote:

^^^thanks I actually figured it out
confused_face.gif
>>>lol
ok heres what happened
with my sr80s (listening to Getiton by Powerstation)
the difference? HUMONGOUS!!!! and Im using stock tubes. I initially fired it up and attached it to my dvd player. there was a negligible electrical hum (left channel only)which faded away after 30mins but was still there (audible at 0 gain). the SQ was totally mud for me (in a nutshell)at this point (being a noob and all)told myself that my portable Headsix sound miles better than this- now Im listening with the new opamp and wow...its much much much better.
will be buying some gb 408a pretty soon. oh and btw..after changing the opamp the hum disappeared totally(?????)

Once again, I am surprised. When I replaced the stock op amp with LT1364, I heard a slight improvement in clarity, and that was it. It was worth doing (since it didn't cost much), but it was anything but a huge difference!

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #506 of 805
update...I tried using different amps from same source in this case a Headsix and I was bummed coz it seems like my source is not to par with my ipod(connection/cables maybe? RCA to amp vs 1/8 to amp 2inch). so it was a coin toss on sq between the both lil favorable for the LD though on the intensity of the sound.

^^^btw as for clarity it was BIG as I emphasized from same source / music was much more enjoyable/immersive. but it was still missing something. maybe I need a tube change ...I much more enjoy my ipod>headsix

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #507 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once again, I am surprised. When I replaced the stock op amp with LT1364, I heard a slight improvement in clarity, and that was it. It was worth doing (since it didn't cost much), but it was anything but a huge difference!

Perhaps the defining quality of an "audiophile" listener is that slight improvements are experienced as huge differences...and then, how much $$ is a "slight" improvement worth to you?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying you have the wrong perspective or aren't cool enough or anything like that. Just we're dealing with subtleties here.

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #508 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps the defining quality of an "audiophile" listener is that slight improvements are experienced as huge differences...and then, how much $$ is a "slight" improvement worth to you?

That is, if there truly is a "slight improvement." Not that it can't in fact be so, but I'm always skeptical when I hear a listener refer to hearing a "slight improvement." Unless he formally A/B's it, how can he be so sure if it's only "slight." I think, and obviously this is only an empirical observation, that often we "hear" differences that we want, or hope, to be there. And that's when placebo rears its ugly head.

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #509 of 805
You said it all shoreman... I doubt the difference was so immense when changing the op-amp...

Then Sw33t if you were used to a good SS amp, a tube amp (hybrid might too) will give nothing else than more distortion. Less neutrality if you want it that way (that is how each amp works, not because i say so) I do not know if you have read this before, but to start listening to a tube (hybrid) amp you have to wait 5-10 minutes for the tubes to charge and perform at their intended capacity. I still have not received my amp, but I believe if at first sounds distorted, then after the tubes are settled it will sound better.

I believe you still have the hype of trying your new amp, and the placebo effect might be kicking in quite strong, however I would like to read a more objective review/opinion of how the sound is delivered. For example, intoart gave a quantitative opinion, thanks for that.

All in all, i am looking forward to try it with my grados

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #510 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You said it all shoreman... I doubt the difference was so immense when changing the op-amp...

Then Sw33t if you were used to a good SS amp, a tube amp (hybrid might too) will give nothing else than more distortion. Less neutrality if you want it that way (that is how each amp works, not because i say so) I do not know if you have read this before, but to start listening to a tube (hybrid) amp you have to wait 5-10 minutes for the tubes to charge and perform at their intended capacity. I still have not received my amp, but I believe if at first sounds distorted, then after the tubes are settled it will sound better.

I believe you still have the hype of trying your new amp, and the placebo effect might be kicking in quite strong, however I would like to read a more objective review/opinion of how the sound is delivered. For example, intoart gave a quantitative opinion, thanks for that.

All in all, i am looking forward to try it with my grados

Actually, I am beginning to second guess myself. Now that the "new car smell" has worn off, I am no longer as enamored of the I+ as I was (though I certainly still like it.) When I try my solid state integrated amp, I find that I enjoy it as much as I did before I heard the I+. They sound enough different, however, that it is hard to say objectively that one is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back