New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Oct 27, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #571 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawai_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should never turn tube amps on/off without headphones conected to them. It can damage the amp

That is correct for amplifiers with transformer coupled output. And even in those cases, many such amps include a dummy resistor load to protect the output transformer in case one accidentaly turns the amp on with no headphones plugged in.

Output transformerless amps are another matter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It pings and garbles a bit on it's way out but it's not a huge thump on turn off. On turn on you can tell it turns on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmmm.. sounds like what I need... (yeah, right! I need another headphone amp, sure)

cheers!

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #572 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is correct for amplifiers with transformer coupled output. And even in those cases, many such amps include a dummy resistor load to protect the output transformer in case one accidentaly turns the amp on with no headphones plugged in.

Output transformerless amps are another matter.

Hmmm.. sounds like what I need... (yeah, right! I need another headphone amp, sure)

cheers!

The sound on turn on reminds me of when the sound card turns on and starts giving sound to the speakers, it's a thump but at the volume levels I use on my system (gentoo linux, audigy 2 zs, volume at 100 with external amp enabled in sound properties), and then my amp is usually at 20-30, 40 if I feel like immersing myself.

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #573 of 805
I noticed some of the earlier posts in this thread, from when the amp was first released, talked about its potential as an entry-level/beginner amp. Now that its been out awhile, I was curious if people still thought that. The only amp I currently have is the Total BitHead and I have no electronics experience -- is the Little Dot something I could handle? I noticed the comments in this thread about making sure your headphones are plugged in when turning the amp on and off. Are there other tube amp idiosyncrasies such as that which it would be good for a newbie like me to know before I purchase one?

Also, I just purchased a pair of Shure SRH440 headphones and I was curious if anyone had tried those with this amp and had an opinion on how they matched up.

Thanks for the help!

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #574 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by theprezz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed some of the earlier posts in this thread, from when the amp was first released, talked about its potential as an entry-level/beginner amp. Now that its been out awhile, I was curious if people still thought that. The only amp I currently have is the Total BitHead and I have no electronics experience -- is the Little Dot something I could handle? I noticed the comments in this thread about making sure your headphones are plugged in when turning the amp on and off. Are there other tube amp idiosyncrasies such as that which it would be good for a newbie like me to know before I purchase one?

Also, I just purchased a pair of Shure SRH440 headphones and I was curious if anyone had tried those with this amp and had an opinion on how they matched up.

Thanks for the help!

Sure SRH440 have a 44 ohm impedence, which should still be within this amp's ability to deliver with, although it's designed almost from front to back for 32 ohm cans or lower, 44 ohm should still be fine. Not really sure how much difference it makes but my 63 ohm sony's run fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

That being said, I have no idea how well they pair. I bought my ld I+ because of the low price.

It's a great beginner amp for a few reasons:

First off, it's a cheap introduction to tube and op amp rolling, and will give you a good platform to develop a collection of both.

Second off, it's high quality product. Not much else to say, mine is one of the nicer pieces of kit I have. Everything on it is metal.
biggrin.gif

Also, It is good for beginners because most lower cost (beginner) cans are typically low impedence. I say go for it, for only 104$ plus shipping, you can't go wrong. Just be sure to order from davidzhezhe. I can't think of a headphone under 100$ that has an impedence over 100ohm.

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #575 of 805
Do you have another DAC besides the Bithead? This is just an amp, so you need to feed it a line-level input. What is your source?

Looking over the Bithead's manual, there doesn't seem to be a way to disable the amp and just use it as a DAC (unless you use one of the headphone outs, but then you're dual amping).

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #576 of 805
Thanks for the replies Aynjell and SirDrexl. I'm planning on using the BitHead at work and the Litte Dot at home with a DAC. I'm still making up my mind on what DAC to get -- I know I want one with both USB and coax inputs. I've been looking at the Super Pro DAC 707 USB which is dirt cheap, but I'm not sure it offers switching between inputs. It looks like a number of people in this thread have used the Zero, so I may look into that as well.

Nov 6, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #580 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by berlinguyinca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
finally got mine and played around with it. Now where are the replacement tubes and opamps...

so far I'm happy
smily_headphones1.gif

I highly recommend rolling the tubes and opamps, it made me much happier with my sound.

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #581 of 805
Hmmm, my amp just stopped working for some reason. It had been fine, but when I try to turn it on, nothing happens. The LED doesn't light up.

I opened it up, and nothing appears wrong. I tried changing the tubes (and was careful to set the jumpers right), and it still won't come on. Anything else I should try?

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #582 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirDrexl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, my amp just stopped working for some reason. It had been fine, but when I try to turn it on, nothing happens. The LED doesn't light up.

I opened it up, and nothing appears wrong. I tried changing the tubes (and was careful to set the jumpers right), and it still won't come on. Anything else I should try?

Cable plugged in correctly? Is your fuse blown?

Nov 7, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #584 of 805
Quote:

The cable in plugged in the way it should be. Where is the fuse?

Near your power cable, not sure how to check it. Might have to refer to documentation.

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #585 of 805
Quote:

The cable in plugged in the way it should be. Where is the fuse?

The fuse is between where you plug in the power cord and the switch,if you put a screwdriver in on the plug side and lever up it will slide out,there is a spare fuse in it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back