New HTC One M8 audio review
Mar 10, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #812 of 874
    I have noticed that songs sound ever so slightly better if you put them on the phone memory itself rather than an SD card.  I dont know why this is(less interference???) but I can hear it.  Maybe its in my head?  Has anyone else noticed this?   

You aren't the first person to have said that on here (Other devices) so there may well be something in it..

Do you fancy being the Headfi guinea pig and trying Sonys new low noise audiophile SDXC card in your M8?   :D

http://hexus.net/tech/news/storage/80950-sony-attempts-lure-audiophiles-premium-sound-microsd/

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #813 of 874
Is it the DAC thats good on this phone or is the amp? was looking into getting either a LG G3 or the m8, now would adding an external amp to the G3 make it sound better than the m8? has anyone any tried both? 

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #816 of 874

so using the same external amp on both phones should make them sound about the same? 

No. Using the same DAC doesn't mean they sound the same. Plus One M8 has different and more powerful amplifier - and you can't turn it off, there's no line-out.
Technically they are on similar level with M8 being louder.
It also depends what kind of external amp will you use - not every amp will make it sound better.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #817 of 874
It has a Line out. Or how would you call the headphone jack? It's function is exaclty the same. An Analog output, which has dac and amplifier before its output.

When using an external Amp, it should sound pretty much the same, with mostly SLIGHTLY differences.If its analog, the DAC is the same, but the AMP is different, might be adding up to a different sound.

If you use an external DAC/Amp, like the Fiio E07k, E18~, it WILL sound exactly the same, since neither the DAC, nor the AMP will hav eany function there.

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #818 of 874
  It has a Line out. Or how would you call the headphone jack? It's function is exaclty the same. An Analog output, which has dac and amplifier before its output.

When using an external Amp, it should sound pretty much the same, with mostly SLIGHTLY differences.If its analog, the DAC is the same, but the AMP is different, might be adding up to a different sound.

If you use an external DAC/Amp, like the Fiio E07k, E18~, it WILL sound exactly the same, since neither the DAC, nor the AMP will hav eany function there.

Uh, Line Out and Headphone Out are not the same. 

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #819 of 874
Uh, Line Out and Headphone Out are not the same. 
Correct, line out is supposed to be a 3v output at 75ohm iirc, so - without that fixed level, the M8 will sound better when amping (so long as you avoid clipping, which from what I understand is a non-issue these days) as it has more grunt than the G3...

Seriously considering getting the M9 when it comes out this week (having had the M7 and M8), but - having only got the iPhone 6+ yesterday, and having a G3 and a Note 4, starting to realise that my having the latest handsets addiction is definitely more of a curse than a blessing...

...Oh, and I'm seriously lusting after the S6 Edge :frowning2:

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #821 of 874
Would you recommend buying a Galaxy Alpha over an iphone 5s or htc M8 for sound quality? The alpha has an exynos chip. Help would be great.
Depends what you want from your SQ - Me, I'm impressed with the Exynos SQ, but know that I loved the M8 SQ, and - am happy with the iPhone 6 (had the 5S too)...

For rockability, the M8 wins imo, for general day to day, between the 5S and Alpha, that would depend more on what [headphones] you'd be listening with I think...

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #822 of 874
I buy phones with primary emphasis on headphone out sound. I seldom place a phone call. I need my phone to function as a DAP. To that end I am up for a new phone by July and am looking at M9. However I sure would like to audition the Asus Zenphone2, as it has an Intel cpu.  Many Androids have the same SOC so I supposed they have a certain family sound. Maybe the Intel based system would sound better.  Asus does make some pretty good sound cards and DACs. And then I need to use it on Sprint.

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #824 of 874
First and foremost, this is another great thread I have been enjoying here on Head-Fi.  I have had my HTC One M8 for just a bit over eight months now, and it is my primary source for music.  I listen through either V-Moda XS headphones or Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro earbuds (which still sound great!).  When I am at home I plug into a Soundmatters FoxL V2 speaker on my nightstand.  I have tried several different music players and have settled on Poweramp. I listen to a variety of genres, but I listen to far more Jazz and Jazz Fusion than anything else, followed closely by Classic R&B and Rock.  I am in my 50's so I really love music from the early 70's (pre-disco, thanks).  

The M8 has fulfilled a desire that I didn't even know I had with regard to sound quality from a phone.  After having bad experiences with two Apple iPods and even worse experience with Apple support, I have written them off as a whole.  No iTunes, no Quicktime, Nothing Apple!  Nearly all of my music is ripped directly from CD in to uncompressed FLAC format files using JRiver Media Center.  Other albums have been purchased from HD Tracks.  The jury is still out with regard to the value of 'High Resolution', but at least it doesn't sound BAD. All of this to say that the HTC One M8 delivers the most satisfying personal listening experience I have ever had from a digital device.

All of this being said, I found this question really piqued my curiousity. 
Quote:
  Hey guys, does the M8 support 24bit natively after the update 5.0.1? Or is it still under the 16bit limitation?

I found this thread over on XDA-Developers and the very first post may hold the answer, at least as it was back in July of 2014.  The thread is still active though and there may be more info of interest to M8 owners or people considering an HTC One for its music playing abilities.  I tried rooting my phone to install the Viper and HK ROMs that where supposed to improve the audio performance and they did absolutely nothing but distort the natural sound that this magnificent little device produces.  I unrooted and haven't looked back.  

Just my opinion, but I would happily leave it stock for and defer to those who have stated that no improvements are discernible with DAC or headphone amp.

Here is the link to the thread.  http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/general/m8-audiophile-thread-t2833054

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #825 of 874
  I found this thread over on XDA-Developers and the very first post may hold the answer, at least as it was back in July of 2014.  The thread is still active though and there may be more info of interest to M8 owners or people considering an HTC One for its music playing abilities.  I tried rooting my phone to install the Viper and HK ROMs that where supposed to improve the audio performance and they did absolutely nothing but distort the natural sound that this magnificent little device produces.  I unrooted and haven't looked back.  

Just my opinion, but I would happily leave it stock for and defer to those who have stated that no improvements are discernible with DAC or headphone amp.

Here is the link to the thread.  http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/general/m8-audiophile-thread-t2833054

Yes, I do aware that. I check there on weekly basis. Mine was restricted at 16 bit and 48khz. My model is Asian model, Hong Kong version though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back