New HTC One M8 audio review
Oct 28, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #856 of 874

Interesting that you say that, that because I've seen a very serious audio review insisting the 816 sounds nothing like the M8. 

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_desire_816-review-1079p7.php
http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_m8-review-1062p7.php

They say similar things about it and the measurements are nearly identical.

Thats how I heard it. I can't AB because I gave the 816 away but when I got the M8 it felt like getting the 816 back. Despite measuring flat they both are a touch warmer and more punchy than the Nexus 5 I had in between.

The 820 however uses a different chipset and posted poor numbers. But the 816 was great.

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #858 of 874
If it can drive one of those, it should be the sennheiser.
Planar technology + lower sensetivity = needs more Power to drive.

The difference in Impedance doesnt do anything here. My 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic T90 (which i can't endure at 15/15 volume on my one m8, no volume-mods) is pretty much just as loud, as my 32 Ohm Superlux 681 (b).

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #861 of 874
How does the HTC One M8 3.5mm quality compare to the Nexus 5?
What's this about some forced built-in EQ that handicaps the audio quality when "disabled", and what is the Harman Kardon thing?
I am using Shure SE215 and Sennheiser HD595

May 15, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #866 of 874
Guys anyone can comment on iPhone 4s vs HTC m8 sound quality? I found that iphone 4s has excellent sound quality. So I'm thinking which one should I use as dap only purpose. 4s 64gb version and it's small size factor as a dap looks convenient

May 16, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #867 of 874
if you're using the phone itself, htc. much newer, etc.

If you only use it as a music player, go for the 4s, or maybe better a standalone Hifi Player? like, Fiio X3, some Cowon or something like that.
since here you won't pay for 95% the features you won't use.

But in terms of audioquality, the M8 is a beast (don't have comparison to the iPhone 4s).
M8 has an output impedance of 1.2 ohm or so~, an Output voltage of 1.2 - 1.3 Volt, and in addition to that, a quite high output Power (in watt), depending on the impedance of the headphone.

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #870 of 874
Guys anyone can comment on iPhone 4s vs HTC m8 sound quality? I found that iphone 4s has excellent sound quality. So I'm thinking which one should I use as dap only purpose. 4s 64gb version and it's small size factor as a dap looks convenient

Short Answer: iPhone Sounds better. Although I am comparing m8 with a 5s.

I downgraded from the m8 to the 5s due to a big difference in headphone out SQ. 5S Sounds significantly more transparent especially in the midrange. It sounds flatter.

The HTC, while it does have a good amp and excellent speaker, It feels like its DAC section has recessed Mids (via Momentum Over Ear 1.0). HTC Sounds a bit more spacious, but this is possibly due to the relatively recessed mids (or Boosted Bass & Highs) compared to the iPhone.

HTC will sound more dynamic on high volumes; while the iPhone will sound pleasant even on low volumes. The HTC Sounds lifeless on low volumes due to the bass & highs drowning our the mids & upper mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back