New HTC One M8 audio review
Feb 25, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #796 of 874
  Ok I'm a full noob when it comes to phones.. So for the DSP circuit you also have to root your phone and everything right? Is there somewhere where I can find step by step instructions?

Why is it always better to have s-off?

Here's where you can start, and progress from thereon
http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/orig-development
Registration is required
Hope this helps
I do agree with the comment below re: flac files as source audio. From my personal experience, The only source upgrade or tweak I do is increase the audio volume [of the flac file] using Audacity. This is an excellent and powerful pc app for audio use. I play 95 % Flac files, mobile and otherwise and on my pc some SACD files as well.

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #797 of 874
  I can tell that I tried various mods (including project era) / various custom ROMs. All of this is just software and libraries. DSP is built-in in Qualcomm SoC.
For me all those mods degrade sound quality.
The only thing that improved the quality of audio output was firmware update (if you have Android 4.4.4 or 5 you should have as good firmware as it gets).
Harman/Kardon edition was better sound-wise because of the firmware. After the 4.4.4 update "normal" (non H/K) M8 have basically the same sound quality if not better.
The only thing you won't get is Harman/Kardon processing which "should" improve compressed audio. I don't really believe in such software-based audio tweaks but if you're listening to lossless formats (*.flac, etc.) it doesn't matter anyway.

To install Harman/Kardon mode with Harman/Kardon firmware you need s-off otherwise you will probably crush your smartphone.
You don't need s-off to install just H/K mode without firmware. Then you will get the processing I mentioned without changing firmware which is pointless if you have recent updates from HTC.

Um yeah I'm always reading very mixed reports about mods.. Some people write it's a drastic improvement, and others say it's pointless.

I only listen to flacs over my phone, so if I'm correct you're saying don't do anything right? At this point it doesn't matter that much anyways, I'll be connecting my phone to a dac/amp when over usb when it finally arrives, and then all those mods don't matter anymore (or do they still change the signal being tsent to the external dac?)

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #798 of 874
Feb 25, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #799 of 874
  I only listen to flacs over my phone, so if I'm correct you're saying don't do anything right? At this point it doesn't matter that much anyways, I'll be connecting my phone to a dac/amp when over usb when it finally arrives, and then all those mods don't matter anymore (or do they still change the signal being tsent to the external dac?)

Good question. Technically it doesn't matter but if you install some modes they might change data and corrupt the sound.
If I were you I would check audio quality first (before using external DAC/Amp) - I might have misunderstood - don't know if you're wainting for DAC to arrive or phone. Unless you need more power to drive some full-size headphones. M8 has very good audio quality. I also have FiiO X5 and Hifiman HM901 (balanced) to compare (and some others - FiiO E18/E12a, ...). They do sound different, they do sound better but still I'm using M8 most of the times and I'm very satisfy with the sound. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #800 of 874
  Good question. Technically it doesn't matter but if you install some modes they might change data and corrupt the sound.
If I were you I would check audio quality first (before using external DAC/Amp) - I might have misunderstood - don't know if you're wainting for DAC to arrive or phone. Unless you need more power to drive some full-size headphones. M8 has very good audio quality. I also have FiiO X5 and Hifiman HM901 (balanced) to compare (and some others - FiiO E18/E12a, ...). They do sound different, they do sound better but still I'm using M8 most of the times and I'm very satisfy with the sound. 

I'm waiting on the amp (and I don't need power, I only have iems). Is it always better to use a quality source, even when you're using the dac and amp of the amp? Since the source is only sending 0 and 1's to the amp/dac?

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #801 of 874
  I'm waiting on the amp (and I don't need power, I only have iems). Is it always better to use a quality source, even when you're using the dac and amp of the amp? Since the source is only sending 0 and 1's to the amp/dac?

Source can be describe in two ways - DAC is a source for amp, and let say laptop, phone can be a source for DAC.
While DAC as a source can be seen as different in quality, laptop/phone/etc. can't (at least not directly) - it's digital signal as you said - 0's and 1's.
It's important to have asynchronous usb connection to avoid errors but that's it.
Didn't really use many optical and coaxial connections so I don't know how that affects sound. But that's mood since you won't be using either to connect smartphone to external DAC.

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #802 of 874
  Source can be describe in two ways - DAC is a source for amp, and let say laptop, phone can be a source for DAC.
While DAC as a source can be seen as different in quality, laptop/phone/etc. can't (at least not directly) - it's digital signal as you said - 0's and 1's.
It's important to have asynchronous usb connection to avoid errors but that's it.
Didn't really use many optical and coaxial connections so I don't know how that affects sound. But that's mood since you won't be using either to connect smartphone to external DAC.

So it doesn't really matter (in SQ) if you're connecting a smartphone or a DAP over usb to a dac/amp?

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #803 of 874
  So it doesn't really matter (in SQ) if you're connecting a smartphone or a DAP over usb to a dac/amp?

Yeah, some may argue (as always in audiophile world) but using async. usb to connect dac/amp with differnet sources should give the same result.

Using DAP over USB don't make much sense plus not many DAPs have such capabilities if any do.

Different story when using coaxial or optical with DAP to feed external DAC - at least so I've heard.

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #804 of 874
  Yeah, some may argue (as always in audiophile world) but using async. usb to connect dac/amp with differnet sources should give the same result.

Using DAP over USB don't make much sense plus not many DAPs have such capabilities if any do.

Different story when using coaxial or optical with DAP to feed external DAC - at least so I've heard.

Alright, thanks mate. Have been trying to get an answer to that question for a while now :wink:

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #805 of 874
  Thanks mate do you always think it's better to root your phone etc.? Even when not taking music into account

Depends. You are risking your warranty with this, maybe just partially.

But just for the possibilities: In my opinion, clearly yes. For me, Root gives me alot or features. Using Xposed (pre lollipop, on lollipop xposed works now, but with a few bugs), installing Mods like advanced power menu, giving funktions to volume buttons, like holding while display is off to skip tracks. Changing battery symbol, swipe2sleep, write access into system partition, ability to fully backup apps with titanium backup, installing Custom Kernel with other functions, like undervolting, better control of the govourner/clock speeds etc.

But it depends on you, if those are things, that YOU want to have control over. If you are someone, who just wants to "use" it, it wouldnt matter. If you a tech-freak like me, you might enjoy it.

Root unleashes Androids FULL potencial. But i suggest reading alot about that stuff, before you actually root/unlock your device. So you know what you're doing, before you are doing it.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #806 of 874

Depends. You are risking your warranty with this, maybe just partially.

But just for the possibilities: In my opinion, clearly yes. For me, Root gives me alot or features. Using Xposed (pre lollipop, on lollipop xposed works now, but with a few bugs), installing Mods like advanced power menu, giving funktions to volume buttons, like holding while display is off to skip tracks. Changing battery symbol, swipe2sleep, write access into system partition, ability to fully backup apps with titanium backup, installing Custom Kernel with other functions, like undervolting, better control of the govourner/clock speeds etc.

But it depends on you, if those are things, that YOU want to have control over. If you are someone, who just wants to "use" it, it wouldnt matter. If you a tech-freak like me, you might enjoy it.

Root unleashes Androids FULL potencial. But i suggest reading alot about that stuff, before you actually root/unlock your device. So you know what you're doing, before you are doing it.

Well as you might have guessed, I'm not that technical myself. Honestly, I think it's pretty interesting but I have no clue how any of it works. I might try and do some late night reading to try and figure it out along the line :wink:

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #807 of 874
Hey guys, does anyone play music on their M8 via the mini USB? I was hoping to connect my phone via the mini usb to my dac/amp, but it's not working. Let me guess, I have to root first and install something? Or is it a setting I'm missing somewhere?

If I need to root, what do I need to install after? Cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back