New HTC One M8 audio review
Feb 16, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #781 of 874
I'm using the M8 with my Senn.  Momentum's, Bose QC2, and Beats in ear(free with old phone lol, no way i'd pay for beats) and the M8 drives all three with ease.  However, the sound is nowhere near all it could be even with this being one of the best phones for audio you can get.  I do love my M8 though and my 64gb SD card is almost full of music and books.  I have noticed that songs sound ever so slightly better if you put them on the phone memory itself rather than an SD card.  I dont know why this is(less interference???) but I can hear it.  Maybe its in my head?  Has anyone else noticed this?   

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #783 of 874
I have the M8 Mini. Bought it as a MP3 Player. 181€ +11€ for a 32GB SD card class 10. Sounds better than the IPhone 6 plus my wife has. Specially the Beoplay H6 sound a lot better. :)

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #787 of 874
Harman Kardon plugin is anyway in a limited M8 edition, what the XDA dev made was to pull it from this edition and make it compatible with all M8 variants. So it's a 100% compatible mod made by HTC for HTC :wink:
HK has a better soundstage, with my Hifiman RE272 it's perfect but it lacks punch'n'bass, you can use any equaliser app to boost bass like Viper4Android then

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #789 of 874
The list of specs is impressive,on this one .As far as the HK plug in i woudnt be to enthusiastic about it.
Most of these are just dsp plugins that later the sound characteristics.
I always towards to listen to music the way it was recorded/produced.

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #790 of 874
  Thanks for the tip guys, what is the H/K app actually called? I can't seem to find it in the store..

You won't find it in the google store, it's an internal file for HTC M8 system partition, meaning you have to unlock and S-OFF (fully unlock the phone) then flash the plug in in Recovery mode, I invite you to follow instructions in the XDA M8 developer website

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #791 of 874
Same for the project era mod, it's a flashable, actually you just have to root the phone and have a custom recovery, this also can be done by unlocking the bootloader with the official htc tool in their dev website.

But it's always better to have s-off, so it's your call.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #792 of 874

You're absolutely correct about the No nonsense listening. Concerning sound altering circuits, Tone controls such as bass mid and treble, and especially equalizers should be avoided. However DSP circuit is the least intrusive of all. It enhances soundstage perspective. Gives height, width and depth. This is the least it alters. Then, there would be the environment mimicking, i.e. a concert hall, stadium, etc...IMO and listening experience, the soundstage enhancement would be the one I would consider and the rest I'd avoid altogether.

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #794 of 874
  Ok I'm a full noob when it comes to phones.. So for the DSP circuit you also have to root your phone and everything right? Is there somewhere where I can find step by step instructions?

Why is it always better to have s-off?

I can tell that I tried various mods (including project era) / various custom ROMs. All of this is just software and libraries. DSP is built-in in Qualcomm SoC.
For me all those mods degrade sound quality.
The only thing that improved the quality of audio output was firmware update (if you have Android 4.4.4 or 5 you should have as good firmware as it gets).
Harman/Kardon edition was better sound-wise because of the firmware. After the 4.4.4 update "normal" (non H/K) M8 have basically the same sound quality if not better.
The only thing you won't get is Harman/Kardon processing which "should" improve compressed audio. I don't really believe in such software-based audio tweaks but if you're listening to lossless formats (*.flac, etc.) it doesn't matter anyway.

To install Harman/Kardon mode with Harman/Kardon firmware you need s-off otherwise you will probably crush your smartphone.
You don't need s-off to install just H/K mode without firmware. Then you will get the processing I mentioned without changing firmware which is pointless if you have recent updates from HTC.

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #795 of 874

Users who are viewing this thread

Back