New HTC One M8 audio review
Jan 16, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #767 of 874
I have htc one m8 as primary portable DAP (Spotify)

It runs my Senn Amperiors super straight out of the Headphone socket.

It doesn't have enough power for my hifiman 400i's so I just got the Cayin C5 Amp. (on the go i plan to use Mad Dog Pro's which are on way)

The interesting this is I have tested this with my HiFimeDIY Sabre Android DAC (http://hifimediy.com/android-dac) and my FiiO E07k (using OTG cables) vs just straight out of my headphone socket and can not hear a difference.  Have listened to multiple styles of music as well.  Whilst double amping technically, I simply can not tell a difference.  Maybe my hearing not 'golden' I grant but for on the go listening I'll be happily amping straight out of my headphone socket which greatly improves portability!

I'll test again with Mad Dog Pro's update but thought this would be use to ya'll :)

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #768 of 874
Does anyone got to successfully reproduce digital audio to a dac from the m8?
I bought a usb otg cable and connected it to my fiio e17, problems are :
The output is analog (I can tell because I can modify the volume from the phone)
I can't turn off BoomSound

Any ideas will be welcome

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #769 of 874
Does anyone got to successfully reproduce digital audio to a dac from the m8?
I bought a usb otg cable and connected it to my fiio e17, problems are :
The output is analog (I can tell because I can modify the volume from the phone)
I can't turn off BoomSound

Any ideas will be welcome

You can't send analog singnal via usb cable.
Not every external DAC has volume control (like Dragonfly).
Sometimes it's control via digital source (like Dragonfly).
BoomSound is always off when you use external DAC - but the icon is always on (it works only with built-in DAC).

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #770 of 874
What are you using with your M8? Could be a synergy mismatch?!

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #771 of 874
  I have htc one m8 as primary portable DAP (Spotify)

It runs my Senn Amperiors super straight out of the Headphone socket.

It doesn't have enough power for my hifiman 400i's so I just got the Cayin C5 Amp. (on the go i plan to use Mad Dog Pro's which are on way)

The interesting this is I have tested this with my HiFimeDIY Sabre Android DAC (http://hifimediy.com/android-dac) and my FiiO E07k (using OTG cables) vs just straight out of my headphone socket and can not hear a difference.  Have listened to multiple styles of music as well.  Whilst double amping technically, I simply can not tell a difference.  Maybe my hearing not 'golden' I grant but for on the go listening I'll be happily amping straight out of my headphone socket which greatly improves portability!

I'll test again with Mad Dog Pro's update but thought this would be use to ya'll :)

I don't know why you assumed FiiO E07K would be better...
I've compared FiiO X5, Hifiman HM-901 (balanced) and M8 and while in these cases there's definitely audible difference - M8 is an amazing music player even compared to HM-901. With Cayin C5 and Fidelio L2 I actually prefer it to Hifiman.

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #772 of 874

Thanks, Duncan.  My pm back to you crossed with your response above.  Part of that pm contains the following.

As for the Klipsch X10s, what I like are the following: those silicone gels are so comfortable and isolate well....enough; I do like the bass (best example of this is the organ parts in Holst's Planets); I think they do pretty well with the frequency spectrum albeit a little fuzzy on the really high notes; I'm surprised about how well they do with fff sections as well as full orchestra (think Mahler and Wagner with all they have going on in the "kitchen"); better with orchestral music, including chamber orchestra.

What I don't like are the following (not surprisingly): no clear stereo separation; limited soundstage, especially back to front; instrument placement; poorer with piano and small ensembles (string quartets) and choral.

Yup, side-grade would be a waste of money.

I appreciate you posting the pm and giving one and all to weigh in.

I've read some of the replies...
I wouldn't recommend installing any Viper Audio or other "enhancements" - tried many and all just ruined the sound. Maybe it's just me but I think if DAC/Amp is well implemented all equalizers and other software can only decrease sound quality.
If you're using IEMs - M8 is almost as good audio player as it gets (assuming you have firmware update that came with Android 4.4.4).
I've had Klipsch X10 - now X11 and plenty others. If you like bass and seal I think you won't like TF10 and XBA3 - those are great btw. - soundstage and instrument separation of XBA is amazing.
I can however recommend some IEMs with well similar bass quantity (more or less:) ) that in my opinion have better synergy with M8 and are in place with the things you've mentioned.
NAD Viso HP20 - with Comply and stock silicons - great seal and isolation, better clarity and wider soundstage than X10, and nice instrument separation.
Musical Fidelity EB50 - more analytical, flat response, great instr. separation but more intimate, compressed soundstage - also less bass quantity but great nonetheless.
I've tried like 20 other IEMs and those 2 I think are most fun and great sounding with M8.

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #774 of 874
  I've read some of the replies...
I wouldn't recommend installing any Viper Audio or other "enhancements" - tried many and all just ruined the sound. Maybe it's just me but I think if DAC/Amp is well implemented all equalizers and other software can only decrease sound quality.
If you're using IEMs - M8 is almost as good audio player as it gets (assuming you have firmware update that came with Android 4.4.4).
I've had Klipsch X10 - now X11 and plenty others. If you like bass and seal I think you won't like TF10 and XBA3 - those are great btw. - soundstage and instrument separation of XBA is amazing.
I can however recommend some IEMs with well similar bass quantity (more or less:) ) that in my opinion have better synergy with M8 and are in place with the things you've mentioned.
NAD Viso HP20 - with Comply and stock silicons - great seal and isolation, better clarity and wider soundstage than X10, and nice instrument separation.
Musical Fidelity EB50 - more analytical, flat response, great instr. separation but more intimate, compressed soundstage - also less bass quantity but great nonetheless.
I've tried like 20 other IEMs and those 2 I think are most fun and great sounding with M8.

You can turn OFF/ON Viper4Android for the different output you have, I mean for example you can leave it ON for BT only while ''corded'' IEM and on-board speakers are not V4A enabled.
I am doing it because the HTC BT Stereoclip in my car has low volume out of the box, thanks to the +6db in V4A it's loud enough, but not for my HIFIMAN RE-272
Now I think I am gonna get a Sony SBH50 BT for my M8 (and M9 later) even though it doesn't have aptx

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #775 of 874
So I finally upgraded to 5.0 Lollipop on my Google Play Edition One M8.
I've noticed that the "popping" I got in 4.4.4 from bass beats around 50 or 60hz are gone...
Though now I get some sort of amp clipping when turning the amp up with FauxSound.
It only clips when there's stupid amounts of bass but It didn't do this in 4.4.4
Not sure what's going on but I guess I'll stay with 5.0 since that popping was super annoying.

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #776 of 874
  You can't send analog singnal via usb cable.
Not every external DAC has volume control (like Dragonfly).
Sometimes it's control via digital source (like Dragonfly).
BoomSound is always off when you use external DAC - but the icon is always on (it works only with built-in DAC).

What? That means the htc m8 send the processed audio signal to the external dac and amp again? In my case i meant the htc m8 pair with  fiio e18.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #777 of 874
  What? That means the htc m8 send the processed audio signal to the external dac and amp again? In my case i meant the htc m8 pair with  fiio e18.

No, that means it sends digital information in an unchanged form. It's not audio signal - it's just a bunch of 0s and 1s. To simplify it's like you would copy the audio file to your pendrive - but it this case it happens continuously. Then that digital information is being analyze and processed/changed to analog signal in E18 or other external DAC). 

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #778 of 874
I knew it..... Even before the 1 M8, there was the 1x, 1x+. What I did with my 1x+, I turn off the beats circuitry. But really, I have to crank the volume sometimes way up to 100% due to some of my Flac files' volume. Most of the time 70%. I use AKG K391NC. But it was very much worth it. My next upgrade should be the 1M9, I missed this [1 M8].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back