New HTC One M8 audio review
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #736 of 874
  I can check M8 with Cayin C5 (I should get it tomorrow or on Monday). I did however try M7 with E18 (as amp only) - it was a brief comparison (several songs). The purpose back then was to compare DACs (E18 vs HTC One M7) - and the difference between M7/E18 amp vs E18 dac/amp was practically nonexistent. There was no noise, no hiss - nothing to complain about. So I think double amping in case of M8 won't make a difference either. I think if one amp is transparent and both amps are capable of hiss-free sound and are not susceptible to cellphone electromagnetic interference, you can double amp.

I would appreciate that a lot. I'm currrently using my M8 with Westone 4R's and an E11, and there is definitely some hiss, but I think that's the E11 being an entry amp with a high noise floor. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #737 of 874
Got my One M8 just about a month ago.
So far I'm very impressed. It sounds tons better than any other Android device I've used, including Wolfson DAC based ones. Absolutely ****s on my Laptops integrated audio.
Really enjoying it, just need to start my music library up again and get some real FLAC on there. So glad it has a MicroSD card slot.

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #739 of 874
I don't understand what you guys are saying about. I bought an HTC Desire 816. Its headphone out is the worst I've ever heard in my entire life. It has no bass, no mids, no high. It literally eliminates all frequency range.
I have purchased an Android compatible DAC immediately.

I'm waiting for M9. M9 will feature 128GB of internal storage + an microSD card slot. It's going to be max 256GB!

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #740 of 874
I don't understand what you guys are saying about. I bought an HTC Desire 816. Its headphone out is the worst I've ever heard in my entire life. It has no bass, no mids, no high. It literally eliminates all frequency range.
I have purchased an Android compatible DAC immediately.

I'm waiting for M9. M9 will feature 128GB of internal storage + an microSD card slot. It's going to be max 256GB!

The HTC Desire is not the HTC One M8. This thread is about the One M8. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #741 of 874

The HTC Desire is not the HTC One M8. This thread is about the One M8. 

Uh if it has "It has no bass, no mids, no highs" then it's either silent or the frequency response is perfectly flat. And according to the GSMarena it has audio on par with the One M8 or atleast close to it so I don't know what's wrong with you lol. If you don't like it flat use an EQ.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #742 of 874
  Uh if it has "It has no bass, no mids, no highs" then it's either silent or the frequency response is perfectly flat. And according to the GSMarena it has audio on par with the One M8 or atleast close to it so I don't know what's wrong with you lol. If you don't like it flat use an EQ.

I think you've quoted the wrong person.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #744 of 874
Has anyone been able to get gapless mp3 playback working properly with any free music players? My verizon phone can't get gapless right on any apps that use the stock audio driver. Poweramp works but that's a paid app, deadbeef also works but I'd pay not to use that UI.

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #745 of 874
  Has anyone been able to get gapless mp3 playback working properly with any free music players? My verizon phone can't get gapless right on any apps that use the stock audio driver. Poweramp works but that's a paid app, deadbeef also works but I'd pay not to use that UI.

I don't get the hype for gapless. Why would you want that?

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #747 of 874
I don't get the hype for gapless. Why would you want that?
If you're listening to prog-rock, dance mixes, or classical / opera, gapless is a given requirement!

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #748 of 874

I would appreciate that a lot. I'm currrently using my M8 with Westone 4R's and an E11, and there is definitely some hiss, but I think that's the E11 being an entry amp with a high noise floor. 

Well I've briefly tried paring M8 with Cayin C5. Don't know how hard-to-drive are Weston's but I don't really see a point in using ext. amp for IEMs (with M8).
Anyway M8 with C5 is excellent - no hiss - completely silent background and amazing sound. I used Hifiman re-600 and Philips Fidelio L2 - the effects were much more spectacular with Philips.
BTW I've tried like 20 different IEMs with M8 and for me the best synergy was with Musical Fidelity EB-50. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #749 of 874
I really like using my Soundmagic E10 with my M8. Porta Pro is also good. The Xtz headphone 12 is on discount online in the country where I live. I have heard good things about them, but it seems that the iPhone really benefits from the Dirac audio plugin. I wonder if these headphones would be good with the m8, since there is no Dirac support.

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #750 of 874
I'm getting an M8 and have around $400-$600 to spend on IEMS.

All I listen to is metal: Death, Symphonic, Black, Doom, Thrash, etc in lossless format.

I like treble a bit higher than bass, bass not overpowering treble.  Like neutral to warm sound, dark silent background, big soundstage.

What would be the best IEMS to get for the M8?

I'm looking to max out the quality as much as I can within my price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back