New HTC One M8 audio review
May 14, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #301 of 874
>>>woh woh u say it sounded better than the dx90, that's a big statement can u elaborate on this

DX90 wasn't doing it for me. It seemed to have poor separation between frequencies, the highs weren't as crisp. FWIW i liked my ZXR a lot better than the DX90 too. I'm also used to Focal Utopia BE sound so i guess i'm pretty spoiled with precise high frequency separation (or whatever it is that makes the highs sound really awesome). But even if you just look at THD numbers you'll see that DX90 has 0.0015% and M8 has 0.0012% according to gsmarena.com, and for M8 that's actual measured THD, not claimed so i'm a bit skeptical about accuracy of DX90 numbers (not measured by an independent source).

Unfortunately I did hear some crackling, in particular on the beginning base line in Fifty-Fifty Clown (Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas). But then i played it also on my SB ZXR and realized crackling was there too, just not as pronounced. But yea so far crackling seems like a real problem :frowning2:

May 14, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #302 of 874
I reduced the Preamp level in Poweramp and the crackling seems mostly gone (or rather to the same levels as in my ZXR, so maybe it's the recording), phew! On a side note, cranking up StereoX definitely makes the crackling super loud. No idea what it means,  buggy sound processing in PowerAmp or expected result?

May 14, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #303 of 874
This device seems very revealing of any defects in the source, i hear defects i wasn't previously paying attention to.
Maybe it's because i'm focused on trying to hear crackling and voila, there's crackling. Then i listen to it on ZXR and Arcam CD192 and it appears there's indeed crackling in the source material :)

May 14, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #304 of 874
Listening to Al Di Meola, Heart Of The Immigrants now. Super detailed reproduction. Accordion, acoustic guitar, charango, percussion all sound super crisp and clear. Can't hear any background noise at all and it's a high dynamic range acoustic recording. I'm pretty surprised at this point. Maybe it's just good enough for me and I'd be quite happy with that! :) Haven't quite decided yet.

May 14, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #305 of 874
Agree with most of your thoughts on the M8. It's not that the rivals don't sound good, but the M8 is the sleeper hit of the year as far as music is concerned. Powerful, crisp, warm, involving, sometimes revealing of faults or encoding artifacts/losses. Like I said earlier in this thread, I haven't enjoyed a portable source like this in a very long time. I knew I had to have it.

My guess is the crackling shows up when the final output volume/gain is above a certain level. Like, even if your media volume isn't up there, EQ or a louder recording may push you over the edge.

Anyone think the GR07 would be a good idea with the M8? I had sworn off buying new IEMs but the M8 is dragging me back into my old addiction. Or even a non-IEM like the V-moda XS? bla bla bla bla blah...
wink.gif

May 14, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #309 of 874
  I'm using it with a GR07 MK2. Very nice combo.

Thanks for the uhm... shopping fuel! I'm probably getting a first-gen GR07 though, the price is right.
biggrin.gif

(EDIT May 16th) Auditioned the GR07 and GR07BE for an hour with my M8. Lovely amount of detail and quality, surely excellent bang for the buck, but I just couldn't warm up to their tone. I kept trying to EQ them. So that purchase is off the table, moving on :)

Some measurements of HO and speakers of the current flagship phones here:

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sony-Xperia-Z2-Review_id3695/page/3

I'm surprised by the voltage for HO on the HTC M8...

Yep I mentioned their tests a few pages back. I tried out these phones with my QC20 (very high impedance), and my SQ impression correlates to these voltage results.

May 21, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #310 of 874
Ugh!!!! HTC ONE M8!! Y U NO BE WINDOWS PHONE 8??? If it was wp8, I'd buy it in a heartbeat... But... Its Droid. I need time to think...

May 21, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #312 of 874
Pretty sure you're the first person on earth to wish a phone was a Windows Phone instead of the alternatives.  :wink:
its fluid, intuitive, has the most powerful eq of any phone (I literally can eq in +30db of bass if I want straight from my phone) OS, it has a few games I wanted to have on my phone, and its lovely to look at. IOS just sucks imo, and android isn't optimized correctly for speed, plus the UI isn't as smexy, etc.

May 21, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #313 of 874
The best EQ would be Accudio app on iOS, with its parametric EQ.

Just an EQ which allows you to raise anything by 30 decibel (are you even reading this yourself? 30 = Thirty), doesnt make it good.
I cant imagine a situation where you would want +30 db on the bass... thats more than x6 times the amound of bass, compared what it should be.. This cant possibly sound right, if it doesnt distort completely after 10-15+ dB.

i would never use more than +- 5dB on any Equalizer. If you need more than 5, you have the completely wrong headphones, or a completely wrong mindset about what Music should sound like (no offense to you, i mean this generally).
When i think about those people who use headphones like beats (which already show you like 2-3 times of the bass, thats would be normally there in reality, so that every details are gone), and then again +20 dB per EQ... I honestly cant imagine, how you could bring audio quality any lower than this.Even a fart shoudl have a higher quality, than this scenario)

Anyway: a Parametric EQ, where you can chose the exact frequency you want to raise/lower (even if it goes only from -8 to +8 dB), is by MILES better than an EQ, which goes from -30 to +30 dB.

Speed: Well, i cant complain about my M8. Show me one single device, which is noticeably faster than this.

Btw: try google for "HTC W8", and you should find your perfect Phone :p

May 22, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #314 of 874
  The best EQ would be Accudio app 

Hi

I was googling and found this - http://www.venturesquare.net/525913

Notice towards the bottom of the page there is the Nexus with an app open - anyone know what app that is?
I've been trying to find a decent system wide EQ like what Sony has but nothing comes close ... Viper sounds too artificial for my liking, and I cannot stand Neutron's UI lol 

Anyone using something different that sounds great?

Thanks

May 22, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #315 of 874
guys are really serious that the m8 can compete with daps like fiio x5 or ibasso dx90

can someone make a real comparison as those are bald statements

Users who are viewing this thread

Back