New HTC One M8 audio review
May 11, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #286 of 874

I'm using PowerAmp, and I find if I have the tone control on with the treble turned up, that the stock earbuds sound pretty good. Still too much bass for a quiet room, but the bass works well when out and about in public. On a noisy bus, for example.

I'm using PowerAmp now and Treble seems to work much better (on these buds) than the graphic EQ. The sound opened right up! Thanks for the idea RickB, kudos.
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #288 of 874
I'd like to know if anyone has the chance to test the M8 with a pair of Westone 4, and if it crackles too? I mainly listen with W4 in my iPhone 4S, but I really like the m8 or al least what I've read of it (except for the sound crackling)

May 13, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #289 of 874
I'd like to know if anyone has the chance to test the M8 with a pair of Westone 4, and if it crackles too? I mainly listen with W4 in my iPhone 4S, but I really like the m8 or al least what I've read of it (except for the sound crackling)
I would also like to know this, I'm getting the harman kardon edition and I wanna rock out some w4r

May 13, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #291 of 874
It's a first time I've noticed the "crackling". It's present only in 2 highest volume levels. So if your IEM or headphone is sensitive enough and doesn't need that much volume there's no problem.
I tried FiiO E02 with One M8 and that helped completely with crackling. By the way that's great combo and cheap way to improve headphone jack, add a little power and bass if it's needed.

May 13, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #293 of 874

I'm testing a pair of W40s at the moment (as far as I know the same tech as the W4 in a different housing, also 31 ohms), and for loud listening on these, I need to push the M8 to volume step 13 of 15 and there's the same crackling audible as on the Sennheiser Momentum or HD25-1.

I've also got the Fisher Amps FA-4E XB with me and I can't hear any crackle on 13/15, which is already too loud for me on most tracks. Didn't even dare to push it to 14.

May 13, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #294 of 874
Thank you for the infornation, maybe I should keep my iPhone 4s for a little longer then.
Although I nearly never go above volume step 13 of 16 in my 4S, except for some low recordings (classical usually).

May 13, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #295 of 874

I'm testing a pair of W40s at the moment (as far as I know the same tech as the W4 in a different housing, also 31 ohms), and for loud listening on these, I need to push the M8 to volume step 13 of 15 and there's the same crackling audible as on the Sennheiser Momentum or HD25-1.

I've also got the Fisher Amps FA-4E XB with me and I can't hear any crackle on 13/15, which is already too loud for me on most tracks. Didn't even dare to push it to 14.

No wonder I don't hear any crackling on my M8, using my iems and 10/15 is already painful!  

May 13, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #296 of 874
Same here, I have yet to go above 8/15 on most IEMs, and 1/15 is often too loud at home... which is fine, volume is one of the reasons I chose the M8 over M7.

The QC20 gave me the opportunity to listen to the M8 at  13-14/15 and I did not hear any crackling (this is after Duncan mentioned it so I was specifically looking for it). So I guess we are gonna blame the QC20 for not having high enough SQ to reproduce the crackling...? just kidding.
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #297 of 874
  This might be a silly question but according to this graph

Does it mean that this device is not capable of reproducing freqs above ~11khz, or is it just their way of measurement that is not taking in account the high freqs range, or the last vertical axis on the right is 20khz?

the scale looks logarithmic, so from the looks of it 40k for where it tapers off.

May 14, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #298 of 874
Just tested one in the store with my TH900 and really liked it. Got it (pretty much for free btw, or $15/mo). Returned the DX90 :) Haven't done a lot of listening yet but it seemed to sound better than DX90 to me. Certainly overall it's a much better setup since i don't have to lug around 2 devices and it has a huge screen, fast CPU etc. I suspect custom DAP makers will eventually just get displaced from the market by devices like this one.

May 14, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #299 of 874
  Just tested one in the store with my TH900 and really liked it. Got it (pretty much for free btw, or $15/mo). Returned the DX90 :) Haven't done a lot of listening yet but it seemed to sound better than DX90 to me. Certainly overall it's a much better setup since i don't have to lug around 2 devices and it has a huge screen, fast CPU etc. I suspect custom DAP makers will eventually just get displaced from the market by devices like this one.

woh woh u say it sounded better than the dx90, that's a big statement can u elaborate on this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back