New HTC One M8 audio review
May 22, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #316 of 874
  The best EQ would be Accudio app on iOS, with its parametric EQ.

Just an EQ which allows you to raise anything by 30 decibel (are you even reading this yourself? 30 = Thirty), doesnt make it good.
I cant imagine a situation where you would want +30 db on the bass... thats more than x6 times the amound of bass, compared what it should be.. This cant possibly sound right, if it doesnt distort completely after 10-15+ dB.

i would never use more than +- 5dB on any Equalizer. If you need more than 5, you have the completely wrong headphones, or a completely wrong mindset about what Music should sound like (no offense to you, i mean this generally).
When i think about those people who use headphones like beats (which already show you like 2-3 times of the bass, thats would be normally there in reality, so that every details are gone), and then again +20 dB per EQ... I honestly cant imagine, how you could bring audio quality any lower than this.Even a fart shoudl have a higher quality, than this scenario)

Anyway: a Parametric EQ, where you can chose the exact frequency you want to raise/lower (even if it goes only from -8 to +8 dB), is by MILES better than an EQ, which goes from -30 to +30 dB.

Speed: Well, i cant complain about my M8. Show me one single device, which is noticeably faster than this.

Btw: try google for "HTC W8", and you should find your perfect Phone :p

lol. I have akg k240's (favorites) and i keep them flat. I also am a basshead secondly, which a ton of people seem to forget exist. Believe it or not, there are cans that can eat 30db of 30hz boost and have no distortion. JVC SZ2000 etc. Even at 60% volume on an fiio e12.

May 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #318 of 874
So im definitely thinking on trying it the m8 but I wonder if the Harmon Kardon edition is worth the extra money. What do all ya think?
all it has is 2 dsp's, and one of them says it takes compressed lossy formats and recreates it into lossless format... Maybe it does, but it wouldn't be the original detail. It would be artificial detail. Think about it: Take a car. Rip it apart, and leave only the door. Show that door to someone, and ask them to tell you what the original car looked like from the door. Its like that. Take 1/25th of the original audio data, and try to recreate it. Try to get that 24/25th that was lost back. It might be partially feasible with an accurate enough program, but it will never get all, if even most of the detail correct. The JBL livestage that they added in is probably very similar to Dolby digital headphone. It probably adds a reverb effect to give a sense that you are listening from a distance.

May 22, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #319 of 874
Unless the dsp is just an eq like beats audio...

May 22, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #320 of 874
  guys are really serious that the m8 can compete with daps like fiio x5 or ibasso dx90

can someone make a real comparison as those are bald statements

No should not compete with them.
But i heared from a User (Westone UM3x he used), who compared an Fiio X3 with his HTC One (m7!), and the Fiio X3 was just slightly better. It was not worth the money for him, so he returned it.

Unless the dsp is just an eq like beats audio...

Shouldnt be. Clear-Fi from H&K should just "restore" too much compression.
But anyone who uses Flacs or 320 kbit/s mp3 (and not worse) shouldnt hear much difference.
More, if you use bad quality files like 128 kbit/s, but here again: If you care about audio quality, you will not use 128 kbit/s :wink:
That makes H&K practically not thaaat much useable (but depends what you listen to..)

i would say: Nope, the H&K edition is not worth even a dollar upgrade. Only, if you like the Design more.

May 22, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #321 of 874
   Clear-Fi from H&K should just "restore" too much compression.
But anyone who uses Flacs or 320 kbit/s mp3 (and not worse) shouldnt hear much difference.

you can flash the h&k mod to any One M8 so doesn't really matter.
And yes I agree with Darkseth, not much difference at all. Increases treble slightly if anything

I find any audio mods to the M8 too artificial, because the stock sound is already slightly V shaped to my ears so any mods to it - even Project ERA, tends to just make it more V ... which sounds terrible if you have treble centric headphones

I've tried ERA, viperaudio and have used elemental kernel for the hd audio thing but i ended up just flashing back to basic ARHD without any audio mods, and it's quite similar to my ipad with electronic EQ setting lol

May 22, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #322 of 874
guys are really serious that the m8 can compete with daps like fiio x5 or ibasso dx90

can someone make a real comparison as those are bald statements
Good question...

My answer, if you're used to using cellphones as music sources, then - impedance / power [popping] issues aside (which can be controlled with replaygain / personal volume management), the M8 is one of the best there is, however - that fun, powerful sound isn't what most would term as high end / linear / pure, which even a modest DAP (where unless I am really stupid, the D stands for 'Dedicated') will outclass, BUT sound a bit thin / anemic whilst you retrain your ears to listen to clean sound...

Apple [by contrast / for impartiality] are very clever, with their audio [tuning] being very much like a bridge / halfway house between the two styles mentioned above, so pleasing to virtually all folk all the time...

May 22, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #323 of 874
Good question...

My answer, if you're used to using cellphones as music sources, then - impedance / power [popping] issues aside (which can be controlled with replaygain / personal volume management), the M8 is one of the best there is, however - that fun, powerful sound isn't what most would term as high end / linear / pure, which even a modest DAP (where unless I am really stupid, the D stands for 'Dedicated') will outclass, BUT sound a bit thin / anemic whilst you retrain your ears to listen to clean sound...

Apple [by contrast / for impartiality] are very clever, with their audio [tuning] being very much like a bridge / halfway house between the two styles mentioned above, so pleasing to virtually all folk all the time...
I always thought DAP= Digital Audio Player...

May 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #324 of 874
I always thought DAP= Digital Audio Player...
Probably right, I thought was dedicated audio player... rationale being all android / ios devices play music, ergo all would be DAPs if the D is digital...

Haha :)

May 22, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #325 of 874
Probably right, I thought was dedicated audio player... rationale being all android / ios devices play music, ergo all would be DAPs if the D is digital...

Haha :)
you'd wonder why a cd player isn't called a dap in that case then. :\ (and Windows phone plays music! Don't forget the 3rd most popular OS!)

May 23, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #326 of 874
Sorry for OT, but a CD player is a DAP in either scenario :wink:

May 24, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #329 of 874
Just to let you guys know the audio issue among others were fixed in the latest update.

So the underlying crackles at full throttle are gone now?

Password must contain at least one capital letter, the meaning of life, 14 of your favorite baby names, the Hamlet plot summary and a hug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back