New high-end headphone amps: Vorzuge VorzAMPpure and VorzAMPduo impressions and review thread
Jan 28, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #76 of 376
Quote:
I thought you could request a unit with lower gain when ordering the VORZamp?

Yes, I was assured by Vorzuge that you can. However, it may still have too aggressive a gain for some people/earphones. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #78 of 376
Quote:
hi i would like to ask if anyone owns a heir audio 4ai or um2 could tell me more about the hissing issues.

I borrowed a 4.Ai for about a month last year. Paired with the VorzAMPs, background noise is evident, but it is minimal. VorzAMPs exhibit mostly inconsequential noise. Most amps out there (with a few honoured exceptions) will hiss more than the Vorz. Every amp I have in my drawer except for the Tralucent T1 hisses more than the Vorz. Only one amp among them costs less than the Vorz. 

The 4.Ai hisses, but not as much as the Sleek Audio CT7. That earphone is incredibly sensitive. The UM2 is a beast, too. But there isn't an amp out there that will NOT hiss with either of those earphones.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #79 of 376
Quote:
I borrowed a 4.Ai for about a month last year. Paired with the VorzAMPs, background noise is evident, but it is minimal. VorzAMPs exhibit mostly inconsequential noise. Most amps out there (with a few honoured exceptions) will hiss more than the Vorz. Every amp I have in my drawer except for the Tralucent T1 hisses more than the Vorz. Only one amp among them costs less than the Vorz. 

The 4.Ai hisses, but not as much as the Sleek Audio CT7. That earphone is incredibly sensitive. The UM2 is a beast, too. But there isn't an amp out there that will NOT hiss with either of those earphones.

thanks for your feedback. got a deal in my forum so was wondering if i should take part too. looks like i gotta turn them down :frowning2:
btw what honoured exceptions are those. currently own a e6 and i dont hear hiss coming from it (i dont crank up the volume when i listen)

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #80 of 376
Quote:

The Portatube and vorz are two very different amps. Sound-wise, they can be compared. Both drive headphones and earphones nigh on perfectly with few to no artefacts. The Vorz sound is decidedly less shiny (a bad phrase for the sort of smooth/clean distortion you can sometimes get with valves). The Portatube has a lush high end that smacks a good one at every portable amp I've come across. It's a personal thing, though. 

But, either amp perform very well. Technically, at optimal volume settings (matched to safe listening levels with same headphones on the out), the Vorz will technically outperform the Portatube. But, if you are a valve fan, that won't matter. I'm typically not a valve fan, however, the Portatube isn't a typical valve amp. It's not 'tubey', dark, or veiled. It's merely more intimate than a typical solid state amp, with the plus of a shiny high end.

But it's more than double the volume of the Vorz, runs hot, gets 8-10 hours of battery life. 

I wouldn't consider one or the other if you value compactness. The Vorz is the only choice there. Absolute power, the Portatube will win of course. 

If Vorzuge can fix the gain, either by incorporating the gain into the volume pot and lowering the aggression so that it can freely be rotated up to 50% for earphones and 100% for headphones, I'd not think twice. The Vorz is killer. 
The VorzAMPs have excellent control of artefacts and resolution with low Ω earphones, but the gain is too high. However, VS the Continental V2 for use with low Ω earphones, there is no comparison: the VORZ has it beat in almost every regard: better resolution, fewer artefacts, lower noise, overall tighter grip. But, the Vorz lacks a gain control, which it desperately needs. Its internal gain is too high.

Cool. Thank you. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #81 of 376
Quote:
It just so happens that I have both. The Pure is definitely a tad bit clearer/more transparent than the Apex, and the speed is definitely faster. I would say the Apex is more balanced while the Pure's mids are a bit more forward. The Pure has more bass quantity and (I think) the quality is better, but the high/low end extension is not as great as the Apex. To me, the element that the Pure stands out from the Apex is the analog sound - both the vocal and the instrument sounds are rendered really well - just like how it should sound in reality. (Okay this is a personal taste - I know many people like some color).

Well, personally I love the Pure because I listen to fast, rhythmic J-pop music mainly. The Apex would be great for listening to slower songs for me, because if I would pick something negative about the Pure, it is the speed. Great on rhythmic songs, yes, but sounds unnatural with slow songs - feels like the singer wants to sing fast but unable to do so. Oh, and the light, too. It is easily a torch. 

would you say that on technical areas they are on par? I'm really interested in the apex but might get the pure if it outperforms the apex. Portability is important to me so i'm leaning towards apex more. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #82 of 376
This just came in yesterday. Already listening to it on my AK100.
Very powerful and brilliant sounding!

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #83 of 376
Anyone have experience requesting Vorzuge to lower the gain on their amp before shipment?

Can you request how much to lower the gain? Or do they lower it by a set amount?

Also, anyone from North American order directly from Vorzuge? Their site states that they ship via Express UPS/DHL (2-4 working days). I wanted to know how accurate their timing is as I will be going on vacation in two weeks and wondering if I should wait to order until after I return.

Thanks!

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #84 of 376
Anyone have experience requesting Vorzuge to lower the gain on their amp before shipment?

Can you request how much to lower the gain? Or do they lower it by a set amount?

Also, anyone from North American order directly from Vorzuge? Their site states that they ship via Express UPS/DHL (2-4 working days). I wanted to know how accurate their timing is as I will be going on vacation in two weeks and wondering if I should wait to order until after I return.

Thanks!

I've emailed them before regarding this exact same thing about the gain adjustment. I was told to just provide information like iems used as well as source in the remarks space at the bottom of the order form.

I think they will adjust according though you can probably let them know what you have in mind as well. I personally was thinking of requesting the bass boost to be reduced to just 3db on top of adjusting the gain. They reply emails quite promptly if you want to ask any other questions. You should ask them about the shipping yourself. Hope this helps somewhat.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #85 of 376
Quote:
I've emailed them before regarding this exact same thing about the gain adjustment. I was told to just provide information like iems used as well as source in the remarks space at the bottom of the order form.

I think they will adjust according though you can probably let them know what you have in mind as well. I personally was thinking of requesting the bass boost to be reduced to just 3db on top of adjusting the gain. They reply emails quite promptly if you want to ask any other questions. You should ask them about the shipping yourself. Hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks for the reply. I got the same reply from them (ie. Leave a comment in the order form). I requested them to lower the gain and told them that I would only be using the amp with my IEM. I have no way to audition this amp, so I'm really hoping they actually lower the gain (rather then just sending me a stock unit).

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #87 of 376
Quote:
@ariesq Adjust the bass boost at least as well if you're getting the Duo. It's a little ridiculous in its stock form.  

Yea, I read that the bass boost is insanely high in the duo. I opted for the Pure since my current IEM have really good bass as is. 

Hoping to receive my unit next week. Although I don't have the stock to compare it to, I"ll update with impressions. Hoping it isn't too loud as I do sometimes enjoy listening at low levels.

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #88 of 376
Quote:
thanks for your feedback. got a deal in my forum so was wondering if i should take part too. looks like i gotta turn them down :frowning2:
btw what honoured exceptions are those. currently own a e6 and i dont hear hiss coming from it (i dont crank up the volume when i listen)

The Pico Slim has less noise. They are two very different style of amps though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back