New high-end headphone amps: Vorzuge VorzAMPpure and VorzAMPduo impressions and review thread
Feb 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #91 of 376
Quote:
I've emailed them before regarding this exact same thing about the gain adjustment. I was told to just provide information like iems used as well as source in the remarks space at the bottom of the order form.

I think they will adjust according though you can probably let them know what you have in mind as well. I personally was thinking of requesting the bass boost to be reduced to just 3db on top of adjusting the gain. They reply emails quite promptly if you want to ask any other questions. You should ask them about the shipping yourself. Hope this helps somewhat.

Hey again Awry,

So Vorzuge and currently out of stock of the Pure, but they do have stock of the Duo.

Did you ever hear a stock Duo amp (for comparison)? When you requested them to reduce the gain, was there any confirmation that they actually did reduce it? Or is the gain OK in your unit?

Since I'll be using the Duo only with IEM, I don't think I would have any use of the treble/bass boost in the stock configuration. I asked them to reduce the gain and to also reduce treble/bass boost but they never actually confirm that they will do it.

Don't wait to have to deal with losing out on shipping both ways if they end up sending me a stock unit.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #92 of 376
Hey again Awry,

So Vorzuge and currently out of stock of the Pure, but they do have stock of the Duo.

Did you ever hear a stock Duo amp (for comparison)? When you requested them to reduce the gain, was there any confirmation that they actually did reduce it? Or is the gain OK in your unit?

Since I'll be using the Duo only with IEM, I don't think I would have any use of the treble/bass boost in the stock configuration. I asked them to reduce the gain and to also reduce treble/bass boost but they never actually confirm that they will do it.

Don't wait to have to deal with losing out on shipping both ways if they end up sending me a stock unit.

Hey man,

I've heard both versions in stock using my UM3x. I've only heard the stock for both. I'm waiting for Chinese New Year to be over before getting the Duo though I've already emailed them awhile ago regarding the gain adjustment etc. 

You definitely need to adjust the gain. The pot goes only about 1/4 of the way for the UM3x and even though more resistance is needed to turn it than say, a Portatube (pot on this is the smoothest and scariest I've come across especially considering how powerful this amp is) or Pico Slim (just a wee bit harder to turn than this), I would rather not have to worry about accidentally blasting my ears. I tested it with the TG334s as well and there was music coming through even with the pot at zero. 

Looking at this thread,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634947/vorzamp-pure-customized

I'm pretty sure they will reduce the gain like they say. How much is the reduction I'm not too sure. Can try pm-ing this member and see what they did for him. 

I'm more worried about getting the two boosts done right, whether I use them or not, than the gain reduction which I'm blindly confident would probably be significant enough.

When're you planning to order your unit? Have you demo-ed it before? 

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #93 of 376
Quote:
Hey man,

I've heard both versions in stock using my UM3x. I've only heard the stock for both. I'm waiting for Chinese New Year to be over before getting the Duo though I've already emailed them awhile ago regarding the gain adjustment etc. 

You definitely need to adjust the gain. The pot goes only about 1/4 of the way for the UM3x and even though more resistance is needed to turn it than say, a Portatube (pot on this is the smoothest and scariest I've come across especially considering how powerful this amp is) or Pico Slim (just a wee bit harder to turn than this), I would rather not have to worry about accidentally blasting my ears. I tested it with the TG334s as well and there was music coming through even with the pot at zero. 

Looking at this thread,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634947/vorzamp-pure-customized

I'm pretty sure they will reduce the gain like they say. How much is the reduction I'm not too sure. Can try pm-ing this member and see what they did for him. 

I'm more worried about getting the two boosts done right, whether I use them or not, than the gain reduction which I'm blindly confident would probably be significant enough.

When're you planning to order your unit? Have you demo-ed it before? 

Thanks for the info Awry.

I have already ordered the duo with a request to reduce the gain as well as lower the treble/bass boost to suitable levels for IEM. I plan to use this amp with my RWAK100 and Tralucent 1plus2.

Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity to audition this amp. I'm going solely off reviews. 

I should receive the unit next week. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #94 of 376
Received a reply for Vorzuge.

"The Duo (Rev 3) has a reduction gain by approximately 30%. This Revision was made by the many requests from our Vorzuge audiophiles who use IEMs. 

I'm assuming that's only the overall gain and not the treble/bass boost.

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #96 of 376
Shigzeo, having heard both the Alo Continental v2 and the VorzAMPpure, how would you compare the vorzüge to the Alo? I currently have the Alo that I had wanted to use as both my portable and desktop rig but it didn't have enough battery life..

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #97 of 376
Well, they are two very different amps with two very different aims. The Vorz really is a portable amp. It has enough power for some big cans, but the Continental is aimed at big cans through and through. The Vorz is solid state, with a clean signal with a bit of overall aim at the midrange while the Continental is valve with all the good valve distortion. The vorz doesn't have much distortion though it has a bit of warmth. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #99 of 376
Vorz has a clearer midrange, but Continental has a slight edge in bass sound pressure levels when plugged into >80Ω headphones. That pressure level is evident immediately with headphones. With earphones, it isn't. Instead, the Continental sounds immediately more intimate, closer. Vorzuge is clearer and wider. If you are planning to use earphones, I recommend Vorz in the whole. If you plan to use headphones, Continental may be the better choice. Both are very good, but the more practical with a wide variety of output devices is the Vorz. For a special sound, Continental may be a more interesting design. For resolution, flat frequency response, low distortion, Vorz is the clear winner.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #101 of 376
Which headphones? the Pure is very powerful, but doesn't supply as much voltage into high Ω headphones. I use it comfortably with my DT800 600Ω. Its sound is full and dynamic. But crank it up to loud-very loud levels and it will distort whereas the National will continue to put out clear, undistorted sound till very high levels. Both do the DT880 well and both go way beyond levels I feel comfortable using. I'd never use the 1PM setting of the volume pot on the DT880. By 3PM, it is sizzling with older music, 2PM with newer music. I tend to keep music at 11AM-12AM. 

For IEMs, the vorz is much better: better resolution, less signal noise and smaller.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #103 of 376
The Ultrasone Pro is a breeze for the Vorzuge. Mad Dog may need more voltage and current than the Vorzuge can supply for extremely loud volumes, however, for normal to loud volumes, the Vorzuge is just perfect. I tested Mad Dog and Vorzuge recently, but not for very long. If you want to make speakers out of the Mad Dog, you will need something like the Pan Am or something beefier, but if you are using them as headphones at your computer for movies or for a bedside rig, either one will work. ALO National supplies more voltage in higher current at the voltages that suit the Mad Dog. 

The advantages to Vorzuge are: resolution, noise, stereo separation, and battery life. ALO's advantages are completely in how much voltage kicks out at currents needed by certain headphones. At safe listening volumes, neither headphone amp will have trouble supplying enough juice for either headphone - at least as it applies against IMD distortion and stereo image collapse. If you move into 95dB+ (and want to ruin your ears), the National will take you farther into damaging territory.

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #104 of 376
Thank you for the advice shigzeo I really appreciate it allot. If you want the best portable amp for the mad dog my vote goes for the adl by furutech stride. I recently had one but it didn't like my pro 900's at all. Got it as a new demo model for $219 but found out later from a fellow headfier that I didn't use the dac portion in my setup. I thought maybe I could find somthing better that was a just amp model. Traded for the alo national and while it does work well with my mad dog, just the amp portion of the stride does a slightly better job. What the national does with the pro 900's though is nothing short of amazining imo and I think overall its the better amp for me. Unless there is some huge sound difference I think I'm going to stick with my half priced national. Thanks again.

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #105 of 376
The Furutech is a fine amp, but it has a number of problems of note when paired with IEM earphones: imbalance, hiss, and general signal noise. ALO's National amp section is better, and beyond that, Vorzuge is even better. If you are happy with the National, stick with it. If you venture into IEM space, you will probably look up this thread again as the Vorz is a very handy amp for both low Ω IEMs as well as mid-high Ω headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back