New high-end headphone amps: Vorzuge VorzAMPpure and VorzAMPduo impressions and review thread
Jan 12, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #211 of 376
You are using an incredible system. The SR71A is one of my all-time favourite portable amps. The vorzuge bests its performance for IEMs, that is for sure, but is a slightly bit more energetic. It falls into the category of detailed/smooth amps. Simply put, best overall performance is what the PURE II gives. That means everything from stereo imaging to low noise floor to high resolution and ability to scale to the highest quality portable sources. The SR71A is a VERY good amp, but for IEMs, it is outclassed by a small margin by the PURE II. Of course, it is larger, and from my memory, depletes more expensive batteries and dissipates more heat. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #212 of 376
  You are using an incredible system. The SR71A is one of my all-time favourite portable amps. The vorzuge bests its performance for IEMs, that is for sure, but is a slightly bit more energetic. It falls into the category of detailed/smooth amps. Simply put, best overall performance is what the PURE II gives. That means everything from stereo imaging to low noise floor to high resolution and ability to scale to the highest quality portable sources. The SR71A is a VERY good amp, but for IEMs, it is outclassed by a small margin by the PURE II. Of course, it is larger, and from my memory, depletes more expensive batteries and dissipates more heat. 

Thanks for the response!  I am keeping the Pure II on my radar!  And you are right, the Duracell Coppertops out perform any rechargeable I've tried, but are expensive (like paying a maintenance fee on my amp!).

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #213 of 376
Enjoyed your review Shigzeo, made me want to listen to it for sure.  

How much difference would you say there is between the Pure II and the DUO amp, is there much change in the signature and in terms of detail and resolution is it worth selling the DUO to go up to the Pure II especially as I do not really use the DUO's EQ switching that much, nice to have but can live without them if it meant the Pure II does significantly improve in resolution and sound stage.  

Also out of curiosity which other portable amp that you know of would be held in similar esteem to this amp if there is one as I once almost went for a Pico slim or an RSA Mustang for my iem's.    

Also how long is this back log on their orders for this currently? 
Good in a way as it shows they are becoming more popular as word slowly spreads around on these which can only become a positive thing for their future growth and development of bringing us even better gear than they already do.

Only down side I keep thinking of is that battery life but keep thinking of what you said so it must be worth persevering with this having to charge it more often in exchange for what the Pure II delivers in SQ, like owing a Ferrari that needs filling up every 100 miles.  Annoying but worth it.  

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #218 of 376
Would it be worthwhile to connect the Duo to an iPod Classic for use with the Shure SE846? I like the look of these things.

I purchased the Pure II based on the fact that it had gain adjustment and super low floor noise, which was supposed to be the advantage over the Duo for iem's. It's a wonderful sounding amp.

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #220 of 376
I thought the Duo was the one to go for when using IEMs. Wasn't it designed exclusively for that purpose?

Don't know about the newer versions, but the earlier ones suffered from channel imbalance at low volumes, and the fixed gain didn't provide enough volume control for sensitive iem's and headphones.  Duo doesn't have gain control, it has bass and treble boost, which actually worked better for lower sensitivity headphones.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!  Admittedly, I'm going by the research I did before I bought the Pure II.

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #221 of 376
Don't know about the newer versions, but the earlier ones suffered from channel imbalance at low volumes, and the fixed gain didn't provide enough volume control for sensitive iem's and headphones.  Duo doesn't have gain control, it has bass and treble boost, which actually worked better for lower sensitivity headphones.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!  Admittedly, I'm going by the research I did before I bought the Pure II.

My understanding is that the Duo is optimised for use with IEMs whereas the Pure II is a bit more versatile and can also be used with full sized headphones. I went with the Duo because I like the idea of customising the bass and treble and did not need a portable amplifier for full sized cans.

There's not a great deal of information out there on either amp, but my reading has led me to believe that they're pretty similar with one having the gain feature and the other the tweakable bass and treble.

I hope I got the right one lol.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #222 of 376
My understanding is that the Duo is optimised for use with IEMs whereas the Pure II is a bit more versatile and can also be used with full sized headphones. I went with the Duo because I like the idea of customising the bass and treble and did not need a portable amplifier for full sized cans.

There's not a great deal of information out there on either amp, but my reading has led me to believe that they're pretty similar with one having the gain feature and the other the tweakable bass and treble.

I hope I got the right one lol.

Very interesting.  And you're right, there's not a lot of info on these compared to other amps.  Please do let me know how you like the Duo.  Either way, I presume they have very much the same SQ, and I'm very pleased with it!  BTW, Vorzuge does have a 7 day return policy, so that's good to know also.

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #224 of 376
  I wonder if they can do justice to my LCD-2? Or is this recommended for more high effient phones?

I need to catch up on the last million pages since the new Pure II came out but I have the duo and listened to it with a pair of Grado PS1000's and although I did not know at time how efficient the Grado's are (32ohm?) for their size and price was impressed it could drive them and enjoyed the session I had but felt it was  for serious listening just missing been driven with more authority and that extra separation of detail needed during busy passages of music and after hearing the PS1000 with desktop amps I felt the Grados needed a proper high end desktop amp to get the best out of them so the Vorzuge Duo would of been good for using with those Grados just for quick referencing or casual listens but for a serious session of getting the best out of  the PS1000's cans I would pass on this combination but maybe when I finally get the PS1000's for myself sometime in near future I can re-evaluate that maybe but yet they do feel at home with my modded Sony 7520's which are 24 ohm's and in theory this amp should drive higher ohm cans than the Grado's PS1000's but I did originally get this to go with my JH16 monitors so was not prioritising if the Duo would cope with big headphones?

So not sure if that would mean a good thing for them with the LCD 2 or not?

I am now considering getting rid of the Duo to go over to the PureII due to one of the benefits with the Pure II having better floor noise? (for my JH16's) but need to catch up on here first to find out as would be interesting to know which is the best Vorzuge amp to pair with full size cans out of the Duo & Pure II.  

All I know is the Vorzuge amp is just different from any other portable amp I have heard and was hooked to the sound of these from the word go & look forward their future amps they might do and maybe a desktop amp? (would be interesting).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back