New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 28, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #4,171 of 6,017
I don't know anything about the re-272 but I don't think so. A closed version of the he400? Closest thing that I can think of would be the modded fostex t50rp's. Maybe the mad dog or paradox version. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #4,173 of 6,017
The dynamics of the he400 are on a completely different planet than the m50's. They work very well for classical...you will not be disappointed. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #4,175 of 6,017
Hey welcome to headfi 1994!! As they say, "sorry about your wallet." 
wink.gif
 You've stumbled across a truly wonderful hp in the he400. If you haven't bought too many hp's yet, by finding this hp you just saved yourself a lot of money. It does almost any genre well. Be sure to order a couple pairs of velour pads. They are a must for this hp.

gL!!

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #4,176 of 6,017
Haha yea thanks. Definitely a big wallet killer hobby. Been researching a lot about the 400. Seems like I made a mistake not returning the asgard that i bought though, seems like the lyr wouldve been the better choice

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #4,177 of 6,017
The Asgard is certainly not a bad choice for the he400. I owned that combo and liked it pretty well. Yes, the lyr plus the he400 could be considered an end game setup for many myself included. 

gL!!

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #4,180 of 6,017
Quote:
After adjusting however, I find I can appreciate the sound from that can just a tad more.  I hear things in 650s that I had not heard before after listening to the he400s. 

Ironically HD650 can sound very bland and shallow if you A/B them right after HE-400.  However taken on their own, I still actually like the HD650 better...I just know not to swap between the two back to back :)

Quote:
The dynamics of the he400 are on a completely different planet than the m50's. They work very well for classical...you will not be disappointed. 

+1, the dynamics on these are excellent...if not too much for really dynamic (Telarc!) classical recordings.  They're a top choice for classical for me!

Quote:
looks great, hifiman, is it from China? China really have some talented technical people in HIFI, purchased one cable last time and sounds really good

Sort of.  Production is in China, most if not all of the company is in China, though Fang himself technically lives in NY, at least half the time.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #4,181 of 6,017
This is my experience, actually. After having my HE-400 for close to 2 weeks, I can no longer listen to my HD-650's. They sound so flat and lack energy. =/ 

Not writing them off. As you guys have pointed out, our ears tend to adjust to different headphones. But I can no longer A/B them or switch off. The HE-400 just sound much better to me. 

Quote:

Ironically HD650 can sound very bland and shallow if you A/B them right after HE-400.  However taken on their own, I still actually like the HD650 better...I just know not to swap between the two back to back :)

+1, the dynamics on these are excellent...if not too much for really dynamic (Telarc!) classical recordings.  They're a top choice for classical for me!

Sort of.  Production is in China, most if not all of the company is in China, though Fang himself technically lives in NY, at least half the time.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #4,182 of 6,017
Quote:
This is my experience, actually. After having my HE-400 for close to 2 weeks, I can no longer listen to my HD-650's. They sound so flat and lack energy. =/ 

Not writing them off. As you guys have pointed out, our ears tend to adjust to different headphones. But I can no longer A/B them or switch off. The HE-400 just sound much better to me. 

Yeah, A/B-ing the two is bad, they're just too different, one will end up sounding bad.  The HE-400 is much more dynamic and energetic sounding.  The HD650 is technically more refined and accurate.  But when A/B-ing the two, the dynamic energetic one will always sound "better" at first listen. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #4,183 of 6,017
Yes definitely no swapping back and forth btn the two. 

It took me a while last night to re-appreciate the 650s, but after a while it all came back.  Just needs some time.

I agree that the he400 is more energetic, just sounds like it has so much more speed when compared to the 650s. 

I find it now difficult to decide which one I like better.  Great, guess I have to keep both, hah.

In the end I think the musical selection is what determines which cans I am going to pick up.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, progressive rock to me sounds much better on the he400s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back