New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #4,201 of 6,017
I remember back a few pages in the thread that some people claimed that rock was a weak point for these cans. I guess this is true for some metal, but I find that stuff like post-rock, math, alternative, can really shine with these cans. The laid-back upper mids and lower treble take off some of the excessive edge from improper/messy recordings. 

Electronic like DJ Shadow, DJ Krush, Amon Tobin is what they really excel with though . Jazz can be tastefully rendered as well, especially stuff like Pat Metheny, Pat Martino's East, anything with fast guitars really.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #4,202 of 6,017
Yeah I still need to experiment around with more types of rock. It seems like it doesn't really shine on the kinds that are meant to be a distorted wall of sound, but certain kinds it does work with very well. Messy/chaotic stuff, I could see it working good with. The song you posted didn't sound bad at all on them. Not a top performer, but not bad at all. I am yet to try it with any real metal. 

Plain old rock and roll works great with it, like this:

But yes... Amon Tobin is amazing on them. Really most kinds of electronica and jazz work and great, and you get the best of both worlds there. I'd imagine Bonobo would be great too but I haven't really tried him out yet.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #4,203 of 6,017
Interesting.

I'll keep my HD-650's and use them when I want something different from the HE-400. 
Quote:
Yes definitely no swapping back and forth btn the two. 

It took me a while last night to re-appreciate the 650s, but after a while it all came back.  Just needs some time.

I agree that the he400 is more energetic, just sounds like it has so much more speed when compared to the 650s. 

I find it now difficult to decide which one I like better.  Great, guess I have to keep both, hah.

In the end I think the musical selection is what determines which cans I am going to pick up.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, progressive rock to me sounds much better on the he400s. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #4,204 of 6,017
Quote:
Interesting.

I'll keep my HD-650's and use them when I want something different from the HE-400. 

my 650's should be back tomorrow after having the 400's for a week. I REALLY wish I could afford to keep both, but I don't need two headphones. THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE.  (i'll probably just pick the 400 in the end for bass response but who knows)

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #4,205 of 6,017
Amon Tobin's Permutation on these have been nothing short of an experience of pure aural delight. In terms of messy/wall of sound stuff, drone/noise like Boris and Sonic Youth have a bit of the abrasiveness taken out, and sounds quite decent. 

Maybe the previous song wasn't to most people's tastes. 

Also: (Warning, can be a bit long)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLfm8ACVDJM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvCLhq8okxc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umfFXnbtZ3I

Keep in mind that there's pretty much no dynamic range on these, as typical of drone. The point of these is to try to demonstrate how some rock can benefit from the sound sig of the HE400s. Can't think of any other genres like these off the top of my head.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #4,206 of 6,017
Quote:
Keep in mind that there's pretty much no dynamic range on these, as typical of drone. The point of these is to try to demonstrate how some rock can benefit from the sound sig of the HE400s. Can't think of any other genres like these off the top of my head.

You might enjoy this thread I started, I suspect. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/625714/exploring-music-by-extreme-dynamic-range
I have dabbled in Merzbow and the like myself.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #4,207 of 6,017
I just think I'm a fan in general of the HE-400's sound.

I was a big fan of the LCD-2's, so I think that's why I like the darker sounding cans with the bass response. I don't envy anyone that has to make a decision between two cans. It sucks going back and forth between two.

My only gripe about the HE-400 is still the headband. My head size is pretty big, and probably weird (lol). But I always seems to be wrestling with my headband to get the RIGHT fit. I'll go days where I'm fine. Then my scalp will start to get irritation with the band. The LCD-2 which is much heavier, I had no issues with comfort. And for the most part, the HE-400 is the same (I mean outside the metal band and my scalp, they are IMO really light for orthos). 

Quote:
my 650's should be back tomorrow after having the 400's for a week. I REALLY wish I could afford to keep both, but I don't need two headphones. THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE.  (i'll probably just pick the 400 in the end for bass response but who knows)

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #4,208 of 6,017
The headband can be a real bother. I try to position it near the top back of my head, but no matter the position, something about it makes that portion of the head numb after extended sessions of wearing it. Gotta stick with the HD580s in this case. But during some days, they seem to disappear on your head.

You might enjoy this thread I started, I suspect. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/625714/exploring-music-by-extreme-dynamic-range
I have dabbled in Merzbow and the like myself.

Merzbow's stuff with Boris is amazing, can't stress how good Rock Dream was. Hard to find people ("audiophiles", if I must) who enjoy these genres. Not the most fun on resolving rigs, I guess. It's a good thing (or bad, depends on how you look at it) I listen to 50% Jazz and Classical, or else I'd think twice about spending so much on audio.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #4,209 of 6,017
Quote:
Amon Tobin's Permutation on these have been nothing short of an experience of pure aural delight. In terms of messy/wall of sound stuff, drone/noise like Boris and Sonic Youth have a bit of the abrasiveness taken out, and sounds quite decent. 

Maybe the previous song wasn't to most people's tastes. 

Also: (Warning, can be a bit long)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLfm8ACVDJM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvCLhq8okxc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umfFXnbtZ3I

I actually do really like how the stuff you posted sounds on these things. Darker sounding distorted stuff actually does work really well with these things, those songs seem to be a great match for the sound sig.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #4,210 of 6,017
This will be a silly question.

But I'm thinking of upgrading to the Schiit Lyr (or maybe Valhalla) for my HE-400's and HD-650. My understanding is the Lyr is a headphone amplifier. I'm currently using the Fiio E17 through USB on my laptop, and I've been happy with it.

If I use the Lyr, then don't I still need a DAC (because unlike E17 it's just an Amp, not a DAC)? So would I have to connect my E17 to my Lyr? Or do people just the Lyr by itself? I know Schiit has Bifrost (a DAC), but I would have to save up more to go that route. Just curious what I would need if I do get an external amp for my cans. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #4,211 of 6,017
Quote:
Do the r1, r2, and r3 drivers produce significantly different sound or just slightly different? Also is the r3 considered the best of them all follow by r2 or does it depend on tastes?

People seem to be more inclined towards the "r2" sound over the "r3" sound, but the third revision has only just recently been discovered and commented upon so time will tell for sure.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #4,212 of 6,017
Quote:
This will be a silly question.

But I'm thinking of upgrading to the Schiit Lyr (or maybe Valhalla) for my HE-400's and HD-650. My understanding is the Lyr is a headphone amplifier. I'm currently using the Fiio E17 through USB on my laptop, and I've been happy with it.

If I use the Lyr, then don't I still need a DAC (because unlike E17 it's just an Amp, not a DAC)? So would I have to connect my E17 to my Lyr? Or do people just the Lyr by itself? I know Schiit has Bifrost (a DAC), but I would have to save up more to go that route. Just curious what I would need if I do get an external amp for my cans. 

I don't believe Valhalla is really recommended for an amp on orthos. It would probably work as these are high efficiency, but your money would be best spend on different amps.

You would likely need a DAC for the Lyr, depending on what your current source is. Relatively cheap DACs are actually decent nowadays though.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #4,213 of 6,017
Quote:
People seem to be more inclined towards the "r2" sound over the "r3" sound, but the third revision has only just recently been discovered and commented upon so time will tell for sure.

I don't know, I think I'd like the "r3" sound, it sounds like it might round out the HE400s decidedly dark tone into something more neutral. I'll have to see when/if the local store will have them in stock. 

I actually do really like how the stuff you posted sounds on these things. Darker sounding distorted stuff actually does work really well with these things, those songs seem to be a great match for the sound sig.

Glad you like them. It's hard to have a headphone do well with drone/distorted music. Used to be I kept a sr80i for stuff like that, but the HE400s have definitely usurped it.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #4,214 of 6,017
I'm bothered by this R3 talk, as in, it's not concrete proof that it's a thing other than the yellowish color being different. I'll wait until Hifiman themselves states that it's been tweaked again, before calling it an R3. Not that I don't trust others, but the mind plays games, and if you expect a change, you'll hear one. The R2 was a legitimate change that was documented.

One person says it sounds different, then the next person will get the headphone expecting that change, so he will hear it. Unless someone has an R2 and this new one side by side, I don't believe in any of this revision talk.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #4,215 of 6,017
Quote:
I'm bothered by this R3 talk, as in, it's not concrete proof that it's a thing other than the yellowish color being different. I'll wait until Hifiman themselves states that it's been tweaked again, before calling it an R3. Not that I don't trust others, but the mind plays games, and if you expect a change, you'll hear one. The R2 was a legitimate change that was documented.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629253/head-direct-hifiman-customer-service-team#post_8735610

Users who are viewing this thread

Back