New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 29, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #4,231 of 6,017
Yeah, i have always felt there is something missing btn mid bass and higher treble.  A bump around the 5-8khz would actually be nice i think.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #4,232 of 6,017
Quote:
Hmm.  I don't think i would mind a small bump in treble.  Think i have the rev 2 and treble is much more sparkly than my senns, but not overpowering. 

Wonder why they swap drivers so much for the he400s.  They have not been out that long right?

Rev1 drivers were almost all defective or timebombs waiting to become defective. Rev2 drivers were the first ones to be at least cautiously reliable, although there are isolated cases of failing still (e.g. me). It would make sense that they go ahead and try to tweak the build of the driver further. Defective headphones cause both the manufacturer and customer ends to lose money, no one wants that.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #4,233 of 6,017
Kinda mad about my NFB-5 getting like 3 revisions just after a few months of owning it. :rolleyes:

Though it's all been for the USB, which I don't even use.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #4,234 of 6,017
Quote:
I wonder which part of the treble they bumped.  I wouldn't mind a slight bump around 5-8khz, but I wouldn't want an even larger spike at 10-14khz.

5-8kHz? It's actually really strong there, almost a peak, with the center at 7kHz, according to my sinewave sweeps.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #4,235 of 6,017
Quote:

Rev1 drivers were almost all defective or timebombs waiting to become defective. Rev2 drivers were the first ones to be at least cautiously reliable, although there are isolated cases of failing still (e.g. me). It would make sense that they go ahead and try to tweak the build of the driver further. Defective headphones cause both the manufacturer and customer ends to lose money, no one wants that.

Oh i didn't know that rev1 had issues.  Glad they got that fixed, for the most part. 

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #4,237 of 6,017
So I am just wondering, being relatively new to head-fi.  These cans (he400s) and hd650s would typically be considered around the mid-fi level.  Does bumping up to hi-fi level i.e. he6, lcd2 really make a big difference?  I mean I read somewhere that someone suggested that difference was only during critical listening.  So my question is, does the real difference warrant the escalation in price?

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #4,238 of 6,017
Quote:
So I am just wondering, being relatively new to head-fi.  These cans (he400s) and hd650s would typically be considered around the mid-fi level.  Does bumping up to hi-fi level i.e. he6, lcd2 really make a big difference?  I mean I read somewhere that someone suggested that difference was only during critical listening.  So my question is, does the real difference warrant the escalation in price?

It's all relative. Diminishing returns, blah, blah. It'd be easy to hear differences in sound signatures, though. Hard to find someone who wouldn't be able to hear a difference between the LCD-3 and say, the Q701s.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #4,239 of 6,017
Quote:

There is no generalizing answer to that. I've auditioned HE500, HE6, LCD2 and LCD3, and really the HE400s stood their ground quite well still. The only one out of those that was a straight upgrade (in terms of enjoyment and refinement) to my ears was LCD3. The other ones all had their quirks - HE500 bass didn't satisfy, HE6 was almost too fast and bright, LCD2r1 way too dark and cupped, LCD2r2 a bit too forward for my preference.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #4,240 of 6,017
Yeah I had been wondering b/c reading reviews about the hd800s indicate they are a little harsh on treble.  What? I thought these were the penultimate in senn sound.  For 1500 i want something that will jump off my head and slap me in the face before returning to a comfortable resting position.

Talking with some they indicate that the he6 is the end.  Get those and I will not want for more, but who knows.  Also could jump into electrostats, but the price also jumps astronomically.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #4,241 of 6,017
Quote:
Yeah I had been wondering b/c reading reviews about the hd800s indicate they are a little harsh on treble.  What? I thought these were the penultimate in senn sound.  For 1500 i want something that will jump off my head and slap me in the face before returning to a comfortable resting position.

Talking with some they indicate that the he6 is the end.  Get those and I will not want for more, but who knows.  Also could jump into electrostats, but the price also jumps astronomically.

Yuck I hated HD800s' sound with a passion. Sure it had great extension and a very holographic soundstage, but it didn't have any "grounding" unlike the planars, so everything sounds floaty and anemic, lacking in body.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #4,242 of 6,017
Quote:

Go to a live concert, get drunk, and go up to whoever's performing and throw a shoe at them. Gets you the same experience, and it's a lot cheaper than 1500 quids.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #4,243 of 6,017
Quote:
Go to a live concert, get drunk, and go up to whoever's performing and throw a shoe at them. Gets you the same experience, and it's a lot cheaper than 1500 quids.

Hahahah, been there done that.  I mean i come from the world of car audio, where bass really moves you.  I initially started this head-fi stuff since my current car cannot be equipped with the sound system I would like.  In the pursuit I have graduated from being a sole bass head to enjoying some nice mids.  It was what I was missing.

I just don't know how much i buy into buying ridiculosusly expensive amps and headphones to have a great set up.  I do have the typical head-fi paranoia though, "what am i missing"?  Just wondering how much better the top could be compared to the mid. 

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #4,244 of 6,017
Oh, that's nice, for two months I wonder should I buy a pair, and when I got the e-mail "We’re happy to inform that your order #12091837135801390265 has been shipped via USPS Package." BAM! we changed the drivers a bit hahah. Well we'll see how that sounds, and imagine what fun it would be if the two pairs I've ordered come in two different revisions rev 2 & rev 3...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back