New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 28, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #4,216 of 6,017
Sep 28, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #4,218 of 6,017
It's bad enough that you usually cannot sample a headphone before you buy. But with HiFiMAN, even if you are lucky enough to sample one, there's no guarantee that the pair you buy will sound the same.

Sorry, but I think this is, at the least, poor business practice, and at the most, deceptive business practice. There are 8 year-old kids selling lemonade who are more professional than HiFiMAN.

This is the same crap that HiFiMAN has been pulling since they first hit the scene, the only difference is that this time, they didn't make a big announcement and change the name to HE-400LE.

I shouldn't have to sit here hoping that the pair I ordered is a "leftover R2" (NOS?
rolleyes.gif
). I will never purchase another HiFiMAN product.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #4,219 of 6,017
I thought you said you had the rev.3

I thought I did, before someone posted a pic of how yellow the new ones were. Mine are definitely gray.

And I kind of agree with palmfish. Lots of people have been buying the HE-400 based off what a lot of us have said about the Rev.2, and now with a NEWER HE-400 out, with 'slight tweaks' or whatever, all our impressions will probably be thrown out the window. People might start complaining that it's too bright, not enough bass, etc. All our impressions would probably then be discredited by these newer people that don't know about revisions.

Kind of like when I had to edit that I owned the OLDER 7 bump K701, which sounds definitely different from the newer Q701 (DEFINITELY). Newer K701 probably sound like the newer Q701, so what I have been saying of the K701 (prior to editing my impressions) wouldn't make a lick of sense.

Then there's the whole M50 white/blue box debacle.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #4,220 of 6,017
Quote:
It's bad enough that you usually cannot sample a headphone before you buy. But with HiFiMAN, even if you are lucky enough to sample one, there's no guarantee that the pair you buy will sound the same.

Sorry, but I think this is, at the least, poor business practice, and at the most, deceptive business practice. There are 8 year-old kids selling lemonade who are more professional than HiFiMAN.

This is the same crap that HiFiMAN has been pulling since they first hit the scene, the only difference is that this time, they didn't make a big announcement and change the name to HE-400LE.

I shouldn't have to sit here hoping that the pair I ordered is a "leftover R2" (NOS?
rolleyes.gif

Yet you'll have your cake and be able to eat it...

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #4,221 of 6,017
I won't get into the DT770/600 bass light and ultra bassy versions that were being sold without any word from Beyer.

I'm willing to bet it's why the 770s are no longer sold. They were so damn inconsistent with the 770s, you didn't know what flavor you were gonna get.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #4,222 of 6,017
Don't worry MLE, 

they're still really good cans and your impressions still hold merit lol 

I mean honestly, without actually auditioning the headphones in person, no one should really have any expectation when they blindly buy. I understand people try to ask to A/B headphones, but in the end everyone's ear/taste is different. 

I took a shot with the HE-400 because I wanted to try out planar headphones and at the HE-6 at the last head-fi meet really impressed me. 

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #4,223 of 6,017
I'd still really wanna see a direct A/B comparison between the Rev. 2 and the sandy yellow HE-400s. It's the only thing that will answer just how different they are from one another, and if it's enough to no longer consider the HE-400 as worthy as it was. I mean, I'm very happy I got the Rev. 2, but I'm sad that anyone on my guide looking into buying the HE-400 won't get the same sound (currently one person interested in getting it because of what I've said).

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #4,224 of 6,017
Quote:
I thought I did, before someone posted a pic of how yellow the new ones were. Mine are definitely gray.
And I kind of agree with palmfish. Lots of people have been buying the HE-400 based off what a lot of us have said about the Rev.2, and now with a NEWER HE-400 out, with 'slight tweaks' or whatever, all our impressions will probably be thrown out the window. People might start complaining that it's too bright, not enough bass, etc. All our impressions would probably then be discredited by these newer people that don't know about revisions.
Kind of like when I had to edit that I owned the OLDER 7 bump K701, which sounds definitely different from the newer Q701 (DEFINITELY). Newer K701 probably sound like the newer Q701, so what I have been saying of the K701 (prior to editing my impressions) wouldn't make a lick of sense.
Then there's the whole M50 white/blue box debacle.

The bass and mids with the new ones are the exact same FYI, just a slightly brighter treble.

Edit: official word from Hifiman regarding this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629253/head-direct-hifiman-customer-service-team#post_8735610

Jerg & MattTCG,

We recently made some small adjustments on some parts of the driver. 
The new driver you are referring to is the latest version.

So there indeed has been tweaks, it's not just our imagination.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #4,225 of 6,017
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

I would think that this is the case with Audeze as well. While I've only heard one pair of LCD-3s, the 5 different pairs of LCD-2s (including my own) have all had slight variances in terms of sound (Yes, I've A/B tested). The difference is that Audeze has long since stepped up, and drivers are getting more and more consistent.

Yes, HiFiMAN should really calm down in terms of the speed which they're putting these cans out. It seems like every year, they have a new model or two out. And really, not nearly enough care at the beginning for what seems to be simple, simple QC. The HE-5, HE-300, HE-400, all have been afflicted with this problem, and it gets to the point where the excuse that they're a newer, smaller company just doesn't cut it anymore. Manufacturers often quietly update drivers, but the difference from a HE300/400 r1 to r2 just seems to be ridiculous. I've generally been a fan of HiFiMAN stuff, but they really seem to forgo much the usability (just look at the RE252s) and longevity factors.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #4,227 of 6,017
Going by what Jerg said, the difference is that it's slightly brighter in the treble, but bass and mids are the same. If that's all, I wouldn't worry. Some people have complained that the Rev 2 still sounded a bit dark for like rock, so this new HE-400 would improve on that.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #4,228 of 6,017
Quote:
I would think that this is the case with Audeze as well. While I've only heard one pair of LCD-3s, the 5 different pairs of LCD-2s (including my own) have all had slight variances in terms of sound (Yes, I've A/B tested). The difference is that Audeze has long since stepped up, and drivers are getting more and more consistent.

Yes, HiFiMAN should really calm down in terms of the speed which they're putting these cans out. It seems like every year, they have a new model or two out. And really, not nearly enough care at the beginning for what seems to be simple, simple QC. The HE-5, HE-300, HE-400, all have been afflicted with this problem, and it gets to the point where the excuse that they're a newer, smaller company just doesn't cut it anymore. Manufacturers often quietly update drivers, but the difference from a HE300/400 r1 to r2 just seems to be ridiculous. I've generally been a fan of HiFiMAN stuff, but they really seem to forgo much the usability (just look at the RE252s) and longevity factors.

Chinese business tactics, haha.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #4,229 of 6,017
Quote:
Going by what Jerg said, the difference is that it's slightly brighter in the treble, but bass and mids are the same. If that's all, I wouldn't worry. Some people have complained that the Rev 2 still sounded a bit dark for like rock, so this new HE-400 would improve on that.

Hmm.  I don't think i would mind a small bump in treble.  Think i have the rev 2 and treble is much more sparkly than my senns, but not overpowering. 

Wonder why they swap drivers so much for the he400s.  They have not been out that long right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back