New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 27, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #4,156 of 6,017
Quote:

I'm a two hp guy also. My regular formulating is to get a set of complementary hp's and keep them until I find something that I like listening to more. I started with pair of dt990 with the d2k. Keep that for a while then went with the he400 and d5k...didn't think that anything would knock that off the hp podium. Then I borrowed the hd650 and shabam....(that's my wife's phrase btw)  it was like lightening struck. I was smitten.

So now, it's the he400 and hd650. I know that they are both open and I usually like one closed hp, but...I find them different enough to be my steady set. One dynamic driver and one planar. 

The lush sound of the 650s makes them hard to take off your head. Wait until you hear them with your Lyr, great combo.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #4,157 of 6,017
Quote:
The lush sound of the 650s makes them hard to take off your head. Wait until you hear them with your Lyr, great combo.

My feakin' amp is stuck in Columbus OH. I hate fedex!! 
mad.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #4,158 of 6,017
I wish my amp was in Columbus... mine has been in Cali for the past 3 days...

FedEx is usually good for me, much better than UPS which re-routes it to USPS and delays the shipping a day further, but Schiit must tell them to take their time or something. Mine had some weird exception that made no sense.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #4,160 of 6,017
I have found it difficult to switch back and forth between the hd650s and the he400s. Both are great and I like the sound from both, however.... First thing i notice when i swap is what is lacking that i like from the other cans.  Takes a few songs to settle in to that specifc hp again and really enjoy it.  The pain is re-lived when i swap back.  Anyone else notice this or do i have some sort of dysfunction, hah? 

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #4,161 of 6,017
That's normal. Your ears have to adjust from the shock of having a completely different balance injected straight to them.

Like when I compared the D7000 to the Q701. If I used the D7000 all day, the Q701 would sound like it's nothing but treble when put it on. When I used the Q701 all day and switch to the D7000, the D7000 sounded like a muddy mess.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #4,162 of 6,017
Great news. Thought for a moment my ears had gone tarded or something. I had been listening to the he400s for last few days, switched to the 650s and thought what? I thought I really liked these. Gave it a moment and viola, great, just like i remember.

Makes for comparing two headphones a bit tricky.  The bass is so different btn these two headphones.  Anytime i swap i have to wait for a few songs before i can really appreciate them again.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #4,163 of 6,017
It's hard to compare two headphones with a very different response. In that case, it's more on preferences when you have extensively tested a headphone that day, as opposed to quick A/B-ing.

I don't trust quick A/B-ing impressions on headphones, unless they are close-ish in frequency response.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #4,164 of 6,017
That sounds very true.  Would be very difficult to swap back and forth.  Really does take some time for ears to adjust to the precise sound from each different hp.

Alternatively, when i swap any of these back and forth with the dt770s i do not get the effect so strong.  I can more quickly appreciate the differences btn them.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #4,165 of 6,017
Completely normal. My phones and ears have to warm up to each other for a while before a perfect synch takes place.

I nearly sent back a brand new set of D5K the first 30 minutes I listened to them. That was after a strict diet of HE-400 received a week prior. Conversing with Matt made me reconsider and I'm glad I did. I absolutely love the D5K and it compliments the HE-400 well.

When listening to either phone for an extended time and then immediately switching results in a very poor showing for the replacement can. Doesn't matter which one it is. I always have to give it about 30 minutes between swaps. Usually I just stick with one can for the day, just more enjoyable for me that way.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #4,167 of 6,017
I think that is a great idea, just stick with one pair for an individual day.

That was my experience, i just got the he400s, never having heard ortho sound.  Very excited, put them on, this was after wks of all 650 listening.  I was not blown away. I was almost ready to put a FS post.  I got on this forum and began complaining a bit about lack of this and that from the 400s.  Hahah couple responses later, i was thinking, hmm actually these don't really sound that bad at all.  Few minutes after that, wow I actually really like these.  Wish i could have gone back and negated my comments, hah. 

Guess that is what i get for being a relative noob to owning multiple cans at once. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #4,168 of 6,017
After adjusting however, I find I can appreciate the sound from that can just a tad more.  I hear things in 650s that I had not heard before after listening to the he400s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back