New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 27, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #4,141 of 6,017
Quote:

Leather/pleather tends to have a high damping factor so exaggerated grain is usually associated with it.  Though to use "grain" and "planars" in the same paragraph sounds wrong....

Why? I hear grain in the treble with vocals that were not there (at least not nearly as much) with my previous pairs; it's likely due to a peak somewhere in the 8kHz region.

To clarify, it's a tizzy grainy sound that emphasizes the "throatiness" or "breath" of vocals too much.

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #4,142 of 6,017
Quote:
Agreed, Planars are amazingly accurate. I wonder if they make speakers like this (oh god the price I bet.)

If you mean planar floor speakers, then sure. For many years and just more recently with hp's. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #4,144 of 6,017
Quote:

If you mean planar floor speakers, then sure. For many years and just more recently with hp's. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 

No, you're absolutely right. Planar magnetic loudspeakers have been around for decades. And just like headphones, planar magnetic and dynamic speakers each have their advantages and disadvantages.

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #4,145 of 6,017
Agreed, Planars are amazingly accurate. I wonder if they make speakers like this (oh god the price I bet.)

Since my college year-long time ago, I have been listening to my Magnepan MMG. I still love them til now. I am not sure if Magnepan is pure planar like Quads 57 or hybrid just like Martin Logan's. I have heard that the purist planar-lover, really love Quads 57 and 63.
This is why I picked HE 400 for my headphone. Still trying to digest the sound on both of them.

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #4,146 of 6,017
Can anybody comment on a Hifiman (HE-500 preferaly bt any will suffice) and Audio GD SA-31 combo?

I have the NFB-16 now and would like to know if the improvements would be worth it.

Thanks!

best regards

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #4,147 of 6,017
Quote:
Anyone have experience with this headphone and the Mad Dogs? Im want the Mad Dogs but the opportunity to get my hands on The HE-400 has presented itself to me, so im not sure which to get.

Mad dogs are quite good. With the new tweaks and the dog pads the certainly put up a good fight. Bass presence might be a touch better than the he400. But a the end of the day, to my ears the he400 is clearly superior both from a technical standpoint and just pure listening enjoyment. 

gL!!

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #4,148 of 6,017
Quote:
Since my college year-long time ago, I have been listening to my Magnepan MMG. I still love them til now. I am not sure if Magnepan is pure planar like Quads 57 or hybrid just like Martin Logan's. I have heard that the purist planar-lover, really love Quads 57 and 63.
This is why I picked HE 400 for my headphone. Still trying to digest the sound on both of them.

Magnepans are planar magnetic. Quads are (were) electrostatic.

Similar performance and limitations though - they have a high power requirement, need lots of room to breath, tend to be bass light, and have a very narrow sweet spot (poor off-axis performance).

They pretty much need a dedicated listening room and careful placement to sound decent.

I have heard some breathtaking Magnepan systems over the years, but unfortunately, my home doesn't have room for proper placement, and they don't coexist well with wives, kids, or cats.

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #4,149 of 6,017
Quote:

Mad dogs are quite good. With the new tweaks and the dog pads the certainly put up a good fight. Bass presence might be a touch better than the he400. But a the end of the day, to my ears the he400 is clearly superior both from a technical standpoint and just pure listening enjoyment. 

gL!!

I have both and agree with Matt's statement. However, you can eq the He-400's to get more bass and that bass will sound better than on the Mad Dogs. Mad Dogs are great for when you need isolation but if that's not a requirement then He-400's are much better. They sound unreasonably good to me.

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #4,150 of 6,017
Quote:
Anyone have experience with this headphone and the Mad Dogs? Im want the Mad Dogs but the opportunity to get my hands on The HE-400 has presented itself to me, so im not sure which to get.

There is no comparison. But if you need isolation and/or do audio work the MD's are more suited for that. Take the MD driver blow it up almost two times the size, and you get the idea.

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #4,151 of 6,017
Just a quick question, 

did you gets receive velour pads with your HE-400? Mine came with the pleather on the headphones and an extra pair of velours

btw, I'm actually really liking these headphones lol I think they really do compliment the HD650s well :D

(and this isn't even properly powering them, I'm just listening to them off my Valhalla. Can't wait till I receive the Lyr!) 

And the bass.....oh the bass :D

I'm becoming a basshead now :/ 

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #4,153 of 6,017
hahaha

and I bought 2 extra ones too! Now I have 3 sets o.O 

but you are right Matt, the velours do make a big difference. For me, it actually cleared the mids up. They sounded kinda recessed with the pleather. Iono, its what I experienced while I was A/Bing them to the HD650. 

I was thinking about seeing if I liked the HE-400 or not and returning them if they sounded too similar to the HD650, but I believe I'm going to have two headphones in my home now. :) 

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #4,154 of 6,017
Quote:
hahaha

and I bought 2 extra ones too! Now I have 3 sets o.O 

but you are right Matt, the velours do make a big difference. For me, it actually cleared the mids up. They sounded kinda recessed with the pleather. Iono, its what I experienced while I was A/Bing them to the HD650. 

I was thinking about seeing if I liked the HE-400 or not and returning them if they sounded too similar to the HD650, but I believe I'm going to have two headphones in my home now. :) 

I'm a two hp guy also. My regular formulating is to get a set of complementary hp's and keep them until I find something that I like listening to more. I started with pair of dt990 with the d2k. Keep that for a while then went with the he400 and d5k...didn't think that anything would knock that off the hp podium. Then I borrowed the hd650 and shabam....(that's my wife's phrase btw)  it was like lightening struck. I was smitten.

So now, it's the he400 and hd650. I know that they are both open and I usually like one closed hp, but...I find them different enough to be my steady set. One dynamic driver and one planar. 

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #4,155 of 6,017
Magnepans are planar magnetic. Quads are (were) electrostatic.

Palmfish, thank you for the explanation, I have learned a lot since I joined head fi.

Similar performance and limitations though - they have a high power requirement, need lots of room to breath, tend to be bass light, and have a very narrow sweet spot (poor off-axis performance).

No doubt, I thought that back then---the now antique Adcom power amp GFA 700---should be enough to drive my entry level MMG, And then added Velodyne sub servo HGS15........finally I am comfortable with the sound but always curious to upgrade (glad I didn't).

They pretty much need a dedicated listening room and careful placement to sound decent.

When you were single and lived by yourself, it was feasible....:)

I have heard some breathtaking Magnepan systems over the years, but unfortunately, my home doesn't have room for proper placement, and they don't coexist well with wives, kids, or cats.

Yes, the 3.6 or 3.7 are still awesome........I am in the same boat now--coexisting is difficult now---:)

Cheers, Palmfish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back