New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #3,646 of 6,017
The only thing I disagree with, at least for me, the Velour Pads added a lot of weight. The Pleather was a lot lighter, so I found the headphones a bit more comfortable. Maybe it's just the shape of my head though. But the Velour definitely added weight to where they sit on my head. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #3,647 of 6,017
Quote:
The only thing I disagree with, at least for me, the Velour Pads added a lot of weight. The Pleather was a lot lighter, so I found the headphones a bit more comfortable. Maybe it's just the shape of my head though. But the Velour definitely added weight to where they sit on my head. 

The reason for that is that velour pads are more fully stuffed with foam, so it gives a fuller lateral clamp, which means reduced downward pressure from the weight of the headphones onto the tip of your skull.

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #3,648 of 6,017
Quote:
The reason for that is that velour pads are more fully stuffed with foam, so it gives a fuller lateral clamp, which means reduced downward pressure from the weight of the headphones onto the tip of your skull.

Makes sense! I need to adjust my head band, and get a better fit on my head. I've kind of just threw them on after putting them on. I'm sure I'll get it just right.  I've already pulled my head band so the clamp isn't as tight, and it's already a lot better. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #3,649 of 6,017
Quote:

Makes sense! I need to adjust my head band, and get a better fit on my head. I've kind of just threw them on after putting them on. I'm sure I'll get it just right.  I've already pulled my head band so the clamp isn't as tight, and it's already a lot better. 

Yeah, you wanna tweak the headband looseness so that there is equal force down on your scalp, as there is against the sides of your head, this way it's a uniform evenly distributed pressure all around and with luck you'll be able to have the headphones "disappear" or close to.

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #3,650 of 6,017
Quote:

Yeah, you wanna tweak the headband looseness so that there is equal force down on your scalp, as there is against the sides of your head, this way it's a uniform evenly distributed pressure all around and with luck you'll be able to have the headphones "disappear" or close to.

It's kind of funny, because I actually found the HE-400 to be really light. But I didn't realize these are considered heavy headphones to others. I have a bigger head than most, and have had headphones like the LCD-2 and HE-500 before. And to me, those were heavier than these.

Even the HD-650 (while lighter) I found to clamp in a specific spot that drove me nuts. The HE-400 felt a lot more comfortable to me. I guess it's just up to the individuals head size/shape. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #3,652 of 6,017
Quote:

It's kind of funny, because I actually found the HE-400 to be really light. But I didn't realize these are considered heavy headphones to others. I have a bigger head than most, and have had headphones like the LCD-2 and HE-500 before. And to me, those were heavier than these.

Even the HD-650 (while lighter) I found to clamp in a specific spot that drove me nuts. The HE-400 felt a lot more comfortable to me. I guess it's just up to the individuals head size/shape. 

HE-500 and LCD-2 are definitively heavier even in printed spec.  And those who weighed them found HE-500 to be heavier than the spec claims.  However, HE-6 is also heavier but I don't noticed the weight difference so much. 

Still HiFiMan pads are universally evil.   Of the types, I find the OLD velour pads to be the most comfortable and nicest material, but unfortunately the mounting system was a disaster and the exposed glue on the inside edge could be painful if it sits wrong.  In that sense, the new ones are an improvement, but the velour quality is definitely coarser than the wonderfully smooth and soft old ones.  The pleather has a habit of gripping at my skin and pulling at it under the weight of the headphones....the velour is still much more comfortable to me, even though it's still a long way from what I'd call ideal.  

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #3,653 of 6,017
@IEMCrazy...agreed about the velour pads. We really need to see a new design on the pads. These hp's are just too good to be somewhat crippled by a cheapie pair of pads.

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #3,654 of 6,017
Quote:
Futile - Porcupine Tree sounds fantastic as well. The guitar and vocals seem so unexpectedly liquid, utterly phenomenal. Laid back upper mids set the tone perfectly.

Can't find a good sounding video for it though. Hopefully everyone has In Absentia on hand...right?

Sweet, I do have that album, I'll have to check it out.

And I still find these weight "issues" funny.  No offense meant, I just can't fathom how something that's the weight of these headphones can be a nuisance.  I'm weighing them when I get home.  Maybe it's just because I'm so used to how disgusting my SR225s felt on my ears that I think these are amazing in contrast.

EDIT:  What the crap, Futile isn't on In Absentia...

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #3,655 of 6,017
Quote:
Sweet, I do have that album, I'll have to check it out.

And I still find these weight "issues" funny.  No offense meant, I just can't fathom how something that's the weight of these headphones can be a nuisance.  I'm weighing them when I get home.  Maybe it's just because I'm so used to how disgusting my SR225s felt on my ears that I think these are amazing in contrast.

Thin guys, women, and old people do exist in our society, ya know  
cool.gif

The part you and I don't mind so much, that might bother others, is the stress on the neck from the added weight.

Sep 11, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #3,656 of 6,017
Still HiFiMan pads are universally evil.   Of the types, I find the OLD velour pads to be the most comfortable and nicest material, but unfortunately the mounting system was a disaster and the exposed glue on the inside edge could be painful if it sits wrong. 

Someone else who has the same exact issue with the old velour pads! :eek:

I thought I was the only one. I even wrote about it on the HE-4 listing on my gaming guide.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #3,657 of 6,017
Hi, I'm thinking of buying these (my first GOOD headphones), but I was wondering about the size. I've tried the Audio-Technica AD700 and it was too big for me. Will the HE-400 be smaller than those?

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #3,658 of 6,017

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #3,659 of 6,017
What music plays best with the Hifiman HE-400?

After going through the reviews it seems like the kind of music people enjoy heavily influence what gear they like.  I'm thinking about these, the Senn 650 or the AKG 701.  So, for all you HE-400 owners out there, What music do you enjoy most and what do you think of that music when listening to the HE-400 compared to other cans?

To kick things off, I'll start listing my favorite music the way I categorize them (probably not how anyone else categorizes) and some examples.

Electro-Dance Pop (Erasure, DJ Sammy), Old school Country (Willie Nelson), Deep low bass pop with female vocals (Dido, Lana Del Rey), modern lounge (Pink Martini), Musical HipHop/Rap (Jay-Z, Notorious BIG), Indian Punjabi Music (think about the background stuff from Punjabi MC), Alternative (Vampire Weekend, The Shins, Keane), Coldplay, sweet female vocals (Feist, Loreena McKennit), Blue Grass, New Wave (i.e. cheezy Euro New Wave, like Modern Talking or Sandra), New Orleans Jazz with vocals, grunge (Nirvana, Candlebox), Frank Sinatra music, bossa nova (Gilberto), and Chinese modern pop.

Thanks in advance for the input..

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #3,660 of 6,017
Quote:
What music plays best with the Hifiman HE-400?

After going through the reviews it seems like the kind of music people enjoy heavily influence what gear they like.  I'm thinking about these, the Senn 650 or the AKG 701.  So, for all you HE-400 owners out there, What music do you enjoy most and what do you think of that music when listening to the HE-400 compared to other cans?

To kick things off, I'll start listing my favorite music the way I categorize them and some examples.

Electro-Dance Pop (Erasure, DJ Sammy), Old school Country (Willie Nelson), Deep low bass pop with female vocals (Dido, Lana Del Rey), modern lounge (Pink Martini), Musical HipHop/Rap (Jay-Z, Notorious BIG), Indian Punjabi Music (think about the background stuff from Punjabi MC), Alternative (Vampire Weekend, The Shins, Keane), Coldplay, sweet female vocals (Feist, Loreena McKennit), Blue Grass, New Wave (i.e. cheezy Euro New Wave, like Modern Talking or Sandra), New Orleans Jazz with vocals, grunge (Nirvana, Candlebox), Frank Sinatra music, bossa nova (Gilberto), and .

Thanks in advance for the input..

Everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, works fantastic with these cans, except certain female vocals. They are jack of all trades and master of many too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back